What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

Apey

Staff member
I thought Kasey had a great game. Could have easily over-penalised - especially with how often the Titans were pushing the limits in the ruck - but she did what she had to do to keep it getting out of hand.

I always find it funny how, whenever there's a lopsided penalty count, everyone jumps on the referee. It is actually possible that one team is far more disciplined than the other. Referees shouldn't try to even the count in some misguided attempt to appear balanced.
I've often found you have a very balanced and nuanced view on refereeing, so thanks for sharing your thoughts in this thread.

skeepe

Immortal
Can you name the top 8 refs in the game?

In no particular order...

Chris Sutton
Belinda Sharpe
Adam Gee
Kasey Badger
Wyatt Raymond
Todd Smith
Peter Gough
Chris Butler

Three on there have very little experience, Gee and Gough I put there under sufferance due to lack of a better alternative (although they have shown signs of improvement recently), and Chris Sutton has been very poorly treated as he's miles ahead of his big-headed brother Gerard.

Chris Butler is terrible but you need 8 to make a top 8 and he's probably the best of the rest.

I really like what I've seen from Sharpe, Badger and Raymond, and Todd Smith has potential but hasn't been great this season.

Penrith fan

Juniors
I thought Kasey had a great game. Could have easily over-penalised - especially with how often the Titans were pushing the limits in the ruck - but she did what she had to do to keep it getting out of hand.

I always find it funny how, whenever there's a lopsided penalty count, everyone jumps on the referee. It is actually possible that one team is far more disciplined than the other. Referees shouldn't try to even the count in some misguided attempt to appear balanced.
You are a Canberra Raiders fan so in this situation, I don't think your opinion can be taken into consideration.

38 offsides for the game and only 5 paid. Thats the problem. You need to call penalties early or send a player off if they are still committing the crime. That is the only way to solve it.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen mediocrity is everywhere in this crazy gender targets world.

And of course we all know that gender targets are reverse discrimination. A response most often said by men but echoed by plenty of women too. Neuroscience and basic human valuing proves that negatives stick like Velcro and positives glide off us like Teflon. Gender targets scream: “’out with the men and in with the women”, and this terrible negative message is sticking like Velcro on the already fragile egos of all of us.

Young men are being hurt terribly by the masculine toxic nature of modern society.

And we are seeing the problems it has caused with increases in crime, violence and self-harm within our communities.

The Teach

Juniors
Thought Belinda was crap yesterday but in her other matches she has done well. Can't be perfect every game. Tough conditions for players and referees.

NRL leading in this regard. Any AFL female refs? I'd be surprised if there were.

AFL have had a female umpire for a number of years, Eleni Glouftsis. She debuted in 2017

You are a Canberra Raiders fan so in this situation, I don't think your opinion can be taken into consideration.

38 offsides for the game and only 5 paid. Thats the problem. You need to call penalties early or send a player off if they are still committing the crime. That is the only way to solve it.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen mediocrity is everywhere in this crazy gender targets world.

And of course we all know that gender targets are reverse discrimination. A response most often said by men but echoed by plenty of women too. Neuroscience and basic human valuing proves that negatives stick like Velcro and positives glide off us like Teflon. Gender targets scream: “’out with the men and in with the women”, and this terrible negative message is sticking like Velcro on the already fragile egos of all of us.

Young men are being hurt terribly by the masculine toxic nature of modern society.

And we are seeing the problems it has caused with increases in crime, violence and self-harm within our communities.

Rugby league laws are not black and white. Many of them are subject to the "advantage rule". When you start refereeing junior rugby league, it is hammered into you, except where no advantage is permitted (e.g. kick-off at the start of the game), you are advised to wait and see if any advantage eventuate before blowing a penalty. The advantage can be tactical or territorial. Thing is it is solely the referees prerogative as to what the advantage is, not the players, let alone the coaches nor fans.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Rugby league laws are not black and white. Many of them are subject to the "advantage rule". When you start refereeing junior rugby league, it is hammered into you, except where no advantage is permitted (e.g. kick-off at the start of the game), you are advised to wait and see if any advantage eventuate before blowing a penalty. The advantage can be tactical or territorial. Thing is it is solely the referees prerogative as to what the advantage is, not the players, let alone the coaches nor fans.
Yes, the famous advantage rule. A fine idea. But good referees stop the play once or twice early to get control of the game and make a point to the players about how they are going to crack down on whatever rule is being abused. Else players continue to abuse and abuse and abuse until they are taking the Pish. Then the referee can't get the game back on their own terms.

As a referee, you must crack down early and take the initiative.

Vee

First Grade
AFL have had a female umpire for a number of years, Eleni Glouftsis. She debuted in 2017
Main umpire or boundary rider or goal umpire? How's she go?

I don't think the girls are any worse than the men when they started, gotta give them time...

The Teach

Juniors
Main umpire or boundary rider or goal umpire? How's she go?

I don't think the girls are any worse than the men when they started, gotta give them time...
Main umpire...she goes ok, but only done 80 games since debut so not sure if she is hopeless or has taken time off.

There are a few female boundary and goal umpires

Danish

Referee
Personally I see no reason why women can’t make great refs. In fact I’d say female refs would actually have some good advantages in the lower grades as players would naturally treat them with more respect.

I do find it insanely coincidental that the first professional female ref just happens to be the wife of an existing ref. Then again that far less coincidental than 3 useless lumps from the same family somehow becoming refs

skeepe

Immortal
Personally I see no reason why women can’t make great refs. In fact I’d say female refs would actually have some good advantages in the lower grades as players would naturally treat them with more respect.

I do find it insanely coincidental that the first professional female ref just happens to be the wife of an existing ref. Then again that far less coincidental than 3 useless lumps from the same family somehow becoming refs
Huh?

Belinda Sharpe isn't the wife of an existing ref.

Penrith fan

Juniors
He means Gavin Badger and Kasey Badger.

On 21 October 2012, the day of their second wedding anniversary, they jointly refereed an international match between Thailand and the Philippines.

It was a free second honeymoon all paid for by the NRL top brass.

"Woke" Nepotism Rules and we called it out here, first.

Penrith fan

Juniors
From the Middle English brok, from Old English broc (“badger”), related to Danish brok (“badger”); both probably originally from a Celtic source akin to Irish broc, Welsh broch, Cornish brogh and thus ultimately from Proto-Celtic *brokkos.

Gavin Badger
@Thebadge72
·
Hard work, resilience, and tenacity pays off. So proud of this one, appointed to referee a test match at the
@RLWC2021
you amaze and inspire me every day. So proud to be known as #kaseybadgershusband
@KaseyBadger

Gavin Badger
@Thebadge72
·
Really want to thank the
@NRL
and
@ZacBailey14
for giving me the platform to tell my story. Speaking up has helped me and I hope by doing so others can find some peace, I’m here for anyone who needs a shoulder to cry on, some arms to be hugged by or some ears to hear their story.

NC_HnTpJ_normal.jpg

NRL
@NRL
·
Gavin Badger is a survivor of child sex abuse. He has gone public after more than 30 years to reveal his harrowing experience in order to raise awareness about the issue.

snickers007

Juniors
Badger is not a bad referee because she is a woman, she is a bad referee because she has been promoted too quickly within the system.

She started in the Junior Rep system 20 years ago - it's been a long, slow road for her.
Some would argue that she got her foot in the door as a diversity hire, she kept the door open by marrying Gavin, and she's been part of the furniture ever since.

But I think it's always been obvious that she isn't up to it.

Penrith fan

Juniors
She has also done the whole white privilege thing so her Woke Elite overlords would accept her even if she is only mediocre. Kasey is the perfect example of a DEI hire based on gender not on talent.

Gavin Badger

@Thebadge72

Yesterday was the proudest I have ever been of this one. She stood in front of her peers and spoke of her white privilege and how she is using it to be an ally for Indigenous Australians. She spoke from the heart with passion, understanding and knowledge. #blacklivesmatter 1713248728124.png