What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 1: Panthers vs Warriors

tripster

Juniors
Our bench was so much better than our starting pack. Maybe it's the intensity from fresh opposition I don't know.

Leota has kept improving the longer he has been in first grade. He runs the ball up so damn hard - you pretty much never see him pushed back. He also hits hard in defense and has stopped giving away penalties. Really earned his spot in the team.

maple_69

Bench
He’s going the way of Kikau. I reckon he has a real beak out year next year. Hopefully Hetherington is a year behind again and we see some more consistent signs of quality next year.

GongPanther

Referee
Great win.
As foxsport said Penrith didn't have a bad player. DWZ was excellent at the back, Cleary was good ( nice to see our short kicks into the in goal back) and Maloney was a stand out. His 40 - 20 kick changed the game.
loved the "sliding for home base" when DWZ caught that ball at the back.

GongPanther

Referee
I hope the NRL changes things for home finals at suburban grounds for next season. If the away team is from outside of NSW it should be at the suburban ground. The crowd at ANZ was 17,168. Would have been a 21,500 sell out at Penrith with a much better atmosphere (and people wouldn’t have to pay for parking or for a bus).
The Olympic Stadium is owned by the NSW government. I assume they profit from parking,ticketing and the food and beverage takings. I don't know how much of the cut the Panthers and Warriors get,but it would have been more if it was at Penrith Park.

GongPanther

Referee
Leota has kept improving the longer he has been in first grade. He runs the ball up so damn hard - you pretty much never see him pushed back. He also hits hard in defense and has stopped giving away penalties. Really earned his spot in the team.
He is my fave forward. Just love the way he barrels it up field.

betcats

Referee
I feel that Roycie during the week had a whisper in his ear. We Panthers fans are quick to forgive if a player in question has learned the error of his ways.

I don’t think he did anything to differently then he normally does, he just got it right all the time last night rather than coming up with a mistake and penalty.

He’s shown his craftiness and vision around the ruck thus season and set up tries with it, just recently his timing and execution has been a little off.

He nailed it last night tho, his long kicking game is underrated.

betcats

Referee

His first year or so of FG he was struggling so hard for meters. He had the hard hits in him Babur if you look at a lot of his stats from his first 20 odd games there was a lot of 5 hitups for 20 odd metres etc

Now he is starting to look like the rampaging front rower he was in the 2015 nyc side, I think next year he will breakout as well tho he’s had so e pretty big games this year.

betcats

Referee
Tamou sensational again. Earnt his money the last 2 months, terrific effort once again. Actually both interchange props were superb, Leota too.

Katoa silenced his doubters. What a game. Kid has enormous upside.

Awesome across the park. Feel for the warriors fans, they deserved better.

I don’t think the warriors were bad, unlucky to lose rts but they kept coming at us.

betcats

Referee
Isn't it great to have a coach that (a) appears to have tactics that directly address the opposition's weakness and (b) encourages the halves to get repeat sets?

And 40/20s.

Pretty sure we’ve had as many under Ciraldo in a few weeks as we did in 3 years under Griffin.

I think we had more 4020 attempts last night than we had all season under hook.

Last night was a brilliant example of how we should be playing, hard running through the forwards, fast aggressive defence and two halves AND a hooker with vision and skill being allowed to attack how they see fit when they chances are there.

We went to kiks all night then kept scoring on them on the other side, he compresses the defence line every time he hits it up. He had no breaks or great offloads last night but still was so a big part of the win.

I thought after all the passes and kicks to kiks we would see a few cutouts to Waqa big it never really eventuated, they did a good job defensively on Waqa and kiks all thing considered.

OldPanther

Coach
And 40/20s.

Pretty sure we’ve had as many under Ciraldo in a few weeks as we did in 3 years under Griffin.

I think we had more 4020 attempts last night than we had all season under hook.

Last night was a brilliant example of how we should be playing, hard running through the forwards, fast aggressive defence and two halves AND a hooker with vision and skill being allowed to attack how they see fit when they chances are there.

Well Nathan never kicked a 40/20 under Griffin and rarely kicked to corners.

murraymob

Coach
while I don't like bagging Griffen I wonder how much the improvements in some players games because of the former champions like Gower Alexnander Simmons .All players that Griffen never used .Katoa now passing off the ground .Cleary now looking at the positioning of the rival fullback for 4020 kicks .Little changes that can change a way a game flows

betcats

Referee
while I don't like bagging Griffen I wonder how much the improvements in some players games because of the former champions like Gower Alexnander Simmons .All players that Griffen never used .Katoa now passing off the ground .Cleary now looking at the positioning of the rival fullback for 4020 kicks .Little changes that can change a way a game flows

Spot on imo.

I haven’t seen those little half chip grubbers from Cleary before, He used that at least twice last night. And he’s gone back to the occasional spiral bomb nightmares are made off we saw from him in 2016.

The long kicking for corners and 40 20s is something I’ve been dying for us to do more off, with kickers like Maloney, Cleary and Katoa we should be really working fullbacks over. As well as building pressure with multiple repeat sets, we didn’t run on last very often last night.

Latest posts