What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 1: Panthers vs Warriors

tripster

Juniors
The long kicking early in sets was excellent game management - I think it largely came down to Maloney reading how the game was unfolding and making excellent tactical decisions.

Late in the first half and most of the second half was end to end and you could see the Warriors becoming absolutely gassed. That was largely because there was no dropped ball and the referees weren’t given away penalties (despite a huge amount of holding down in the ruck).

Kicking early basically took the Warriors forwards out of the game. Isaac Luke in particular. Every time we kicked early and chased hard, the Warriors forwards were walking so slowly back up the field that we were lucky if they were able to take 1 or 2 hit ups in each set. Instead the backs had to do all the hit up. Isaac Luke was even worse - he was often the last player back on side. It was why so much of the Warriors play was one out stuff and easy for us to contain.

The end to end nature of the game also started to take a toll on us too - it was the most gassed I had seen us looking all year. Isaiah Yeo - probably our fittest forward - played himself to a standstill and went out for a rest on the wing for a few sets late in the second half. I have never seen that before.

Maloney also read that well which is why we went for the 2 rather than the try late in the second half. We didn’t have the energy left ourselves to mount an attacking raid, even though the Warriors were on the ropes. Taking the 2 also gave us a rest. Someone younger and less experienced probably just instinctively goes for the try there.

Recovering and having enough in the tank for next week is going to be a big issue.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
A couple of points:
  • As noted by others, RCG is clearly not back to full fitness (67m, 26 tackles) and hasn't got his confidence back yet. His output matched Trent Merrin (65m and 20 tackles), except Merrin did that in 34 minutes, not 50 minutes like RCG. He'll come good, he just needs time. As suggested by others, maybe the bench is where he needs to be for the time being;
  • Mansour looked something like his old self. He rolled the sleeves up and did plenty of work and it was tough out there and he still carted the ball up. Finally, some of his confidence is returning;
  • Somebody needs to tell Shaun Johnson, you need a bit of "grit" to make a pearl. He should watch a replay of Maloney getting obliterated by Luke and see how he dealt with it. Very disappointing from him. He showed very little ticker when his team needed him;
  • Maloney was just a different class last night. His toughness is so under rated. He got smashed by Luke and then about one set later he run to the line, didn't see any runners so took the tackle and got belted for his troubles. He never flinched. Nails hard, full of energy and enthusiasm and his kicking game was excellent;
  • It was quite noticeable how our team passed the ball bringing the ball out of our own half. We minimised one out runs, keeping the defence guessing. We stopped the bigger Warriors forwards tying us up in tackles and kept moving the point of attack. It really knackered them out. Good coaching;
  • The kicking game we deployed yielded four goal line drop outs. Great skill by the halves and great coaching. Where has that been all year? I know, I know....

TheFrog

Coach
Every single "expert" on TV and radio this week.
Just as they all did last year and with the same result. Being an ex-player doesn't make one an expert. I thought this result was quite predictable given the gulf in finals experience between the two sides, and it really showed. The betting markets did too, but they turned up about half as motivated and didn't get the rub of the green this time. The Warriors looked like they expected it to be just like two weeks ago. For the second year running, a rope-a-dope strategy has worked.

OldPanther

Coach
Just as they all did last year and with the same result. Being an ex-player doesn't make one an expert. I thought this result was quite predictable given the gulf in finals experience between the two sides, and it really showed. The betting markets did too, but they turned up about half as motivated and didn't get the rub of the green this time. The Warriors looked like they expected it to be just like two weeks ago. For the second year running, a rope-a-dope strategy has worked.

We were definitely much better. Even before RTS went 9ff we got on top. Our game management was elite.

TheFrog

Coach
TheFrog's Player Ratings

Watene-Zelezniak 8
Mansour 8
Blake 7
Peachey 8
Crichton 7
Maloney 9
Cleary 8
Merrin 6
Katoa 7
Campbell-Gillard 6
Kikau 8
Yeo 8
Fisher-Harris 7

May 6
Leota 7
Harawira-Naera 7
Tamou 7

Referee Checcin (6)

Pomoz

Bench
Frog, they had much more experience than us. RTS, Luke, Blair and Harris have all won grand finals. Green has played in a grand final. Hiku, Mannering, Beale and Paasi all have finals experience.

On average our team has been the youngest in the NRL on many occasions (depending on who played) and is certainly the youngest in the finals. We didn't win because of more experience. We won because we were better.

The Realist

Juniors
Some great analysis in the last few pages in this thread.

I really think last night and to an extent against the Storm we have seen the 'best of both worlds', with Hooks fitness, grit and determination...along with the excellent strategy, tactics & execution that Ciraldo & Legends have worked on particularly the kicking game.

Our bench has been our true strength all season, unlike virtually every other team we barely lose anything in terms of ability when they come on (and we gain the energy of fresh players). This was really evident tonight.

Leota was fantastic and Tamou was excellent, he is starting to actually play close to what we paid him for.

Katoa was superb last night, The Frog was very harsh in giving him a 7. I'd have given him an 8 (8.5 if they were allowed) and he was also very good against Melbourne. It's a real pity that we don't have 2 of him because he'd be a very handy 14 as we saw earlier this season when Wallace was still playing.

chrisD

Coach
That was awesome. What a f**king performance.

I can't split DWZ and Tamou for our best, but there were another 10 great performances from many maligned players. Credit to the coaching staff for getting them up.

The kicking in attacking position was huge and shows how stupid Griffin's 'tactics' of past were. On the other hand our fitness superiority was evident, so credit to Griffin for that.

With what the Warriors lost, pretty much the best player this season, it was a game we should have won, but the way we did it provided belief. Something to take from this season at the least. Unfortunately the belief fell away after watching the next game, the way those teams move the ball and the slickness of their backline plays makes us look amateur.

Being eliminated by the Sharks is basically a nightmare, and I think they were the better team too they just bombed like 5 tries, but bigger upsets happen. Maybe some injuries, an off day, we can but hope.

Fangs

Coach
Foughts from Fangs:

- Now able to write something of substance as I'm significantly less aberrated

- Hi five Katoa. Had a good game, Royce gets a down low

- Cleary played very well. Not the kind of game that a halfback will play to carry a team but was still excellent. Found his lucky boots in his luggage lost by Virgin

- RCG is our worst performing prop which is a concern. He needs to be our enforcer. Needs to be benched and given a serve. Royce, Gower, puletua etc at training...where is MG? Tear the Campbell out of him

- Maloney excellent. Absent from warm up again? Only need 3 more games out of him

- Peachey superb. Will be tested in defense by better sides but he is a true x-factor player. Will be missed in 2018...or will he?

franklin2323

Immortal
And 40/20s.

Pretty sure we’ve had as many under Ciraldo in a few weeks as we did in 3 years under Griffin.

I think we had more 4020 attempts last night than we had all season under hook.

Last night was a brilliant example of how we should be playing, hard running through the forwards, fast aggressive defence and two halves AND a hooker with vision and skill being allowed to attack how they see fit when they chances are there.

We went to kiks all night then kept scoring on them on the other side, he compresses the defence line every time he hits it up. He had no breaks or great offloads last night but still was so a big part of the win.

I thought after all the passes and kicks to kiks we would see a few cutouts to Waqa big it never really eventuated, they did a good job defensively on Waqa and kiks all thing considered.

ANZ is terrible with the wet weather and Maloney loves to throw an intercept. So probably was the tactics on the day

Latest posts