What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fine to McGregor

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons respond to NRL breach notice
Tue 1st August, 03:30PM
A A

1501564999185.png

St George Illawarra have been advised that coach Paul McGregor has been issued with a breach notice by the NRL following his comments regarding match officials post the Round 21 match against the Newcastle Knights last Saturday.

NRL rules state that "No Club, Club Official or Player shall, on a public occasion, comment on or with respect to the performance of a Match Official”.

The Dragons have five business days to respond to the breach notice and will be making no further comment at this time.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/01/dragons_respond_to_n.html

Uplifting

Juniors
What a joke. This rule just seems wrong! So much for freedom of speech. It's seriously unconstitutional. How can a rule like that be upheld legally. I suppose the conflict of interest is that coaches and refs work for the same organisation and both are bound by what is essentially a company policy.

Bench
if a coach knows they will be fined they should let it rip and have a go at the refs, the bunker and the NRL. Let it rip no holds barred

wayne57

Juniors
How about a match review committee for refs, the bunker etc and start suspending and give them $10,000.00 fines for their one eyed and blatant decisions they make, where every fan can see is the wrong call.

This is happening every week and I am not just talking about the 50/50 calls but blatant decision that happen with no accountability or responsibility taken by the NRL which is costing teams valuable competition points.

They have the audacity to fine a coach for saying what everyone knows and thinks already, that they are incompetent or plain right bias and they need look no further, as they themselves are the ones that are bringing the game into disrepute by letting this farce continue on week after week.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
This is total horse shit. Players, coaches and trainers are constantly slammed but as soon as someone says the truth about the referees decisions they get a 10k fine?

Didn't know referees were special human beings that can't take criticism. This is just going to get worse. This is not how you demand respect.

Red V for life

Juniors
Well, the three words that will cost him $10k are "embarrassing and incompetent". Honesty is obviously not the best policy in the NRL.

Ricky Stuart goes off his rocker ranting and raving about refs like a lunatic every week but according to Brian Canavan, only Mary crossed the line by uttering these 3 words.

Go figure.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach McGregor's $10,000 fine for NRL bunker spray

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

1 Aug 2017, 10:11 a.m.
COACH Paul McGregor is counting the cost, but keeping the faith.

His seething critique of the NRL referee bunker, labelling two key decisions “embarrassing” and “incompetent” resulted in a $10,000 fine being issue on Tuesday afternoon.

r0_0_3816_2756_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Caught: Josh Dugan (right). Picture: AAP Image/Darren Pateman

However, he has held fire on making changes for St George Illawarra’s crucial clash with South Sydney at the SCG.

After the loss to Newcastle, which has put them on the brink of falling out of the top eight, McGregor named an unchanged starting team in the 21-man squad announced on Tuesday.

r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul McGregor

Matt Dufty remains at fullback, with Josh Dugan in the centres.

Their top four hopes all but over, the Dragons are now only ahead of Penrith on points differential with five games remaining.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said McGregor’s comments “cross the line” in handing down the fine.

“In simple terms, the rule is that coaches, players and officials should not discuss referees and their performances in the public domain,” Canavan said. “We have been pragmatic in dealing with instances where comments have been made but the competence and integrity of referees has not been questioned.

“But it is our view that these particular comments crossed the line.

“All coaches should be aware that they risk sanctions if they discuss the performance of referees.”

Tim Lafai and Nene McDonald were denied tries on review, as they fell 21-14 to the lowly Knights. St George Illawarra have lost six of their past eight NRL games.

In a statement, the Dragons offered no further comment about the fine, saying the club has five days to respond to the breach notice.

The Rabbitohs clash at the SCG is part of the NRL’s heritage round.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...mcgregor-counts-cost-keeps-the-faith/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach faces scrutiny over bunker comments
ADAM PENGILLY
31 Jul 2017, 10:24 a.m.
r0_0_4230_3070_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH PILL: The Dragons finals hopes took a hit with a 21-14 defeat to Newcastle on Saturday. Picture: AAP

Frustrated Dragons coach Paul McGregor could have a new headache come Monday as his side stands on the brink of slipping out of the finals picture, with the NRL to scrutinise his post-match lashing of match officials after a shock loss to the Knights.

A week after Ricky Stuart dodged sanctioning following his calls for referees to be made more accountable and answer questions in the immediate aftermath of a match, McGregor could face his first fine as an NRL head coach after describing the officiating as "embarrassing and incompetent".

It will come against the backdrop of the St George Illawarra clipboard carrier seeking an explanation from referees boss Tony Archer over several calls which he believed hampered the Dragons against wooden spoon favourites Newcastle.

Stuart's outburst – questioned in many quarters after his own player Sia Soliola, later banned for five matches, was allowed to stay on the field for a late hit which badly concussed Billy Slater – went unpunished because it didn't question the integrity of match officials.

But McGregor's use of the words "embarrassing and incompetent", despite saying his side would take responsibility for the loss rather than blaming whistleblowers, are ones which will be most analysed after a week in which match officials have been in the spotlight after the Slater controversy.

Any fine would be a bitter pill to swallow for the early-season Dally M Coach of the Year contender, whose side has stumbled in recent months and is in grave doubt of even making the finals with the Panthers and Raiders making late charges.

The Dragons had two tries chalked off – one for an alleged Jason Nightingale knock-on and another for an infringement on Trent Hodkinson in the lead-up to a runaway Nene Macdonald effort.

A dismayed McGregor accused Hodkinson of taking a dive as the Dragons bombed a chance to close in on a finals spot they have been in a pole position to secure all season.

The NRL hasn't issued a breach notice this season since the Dragons were one of three clubs fined after round three for flouting concussion guidelines.

The sanctions, which were also handed out to the Knights and Titans, originally totalled $350,000 but were later reduced as part of suspended sentences.

The desperate Dragons can ill afford any further distractions when they try to cling to a top eight spot against the struggling Rabbitohs at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday night.

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire also had the referees in his crosshairs over the weekend, questioning why play wasn't stopped for a concussed Adam Reynolds as the Raiders later went on to score in that set en route to a comfortable 14-point win.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-coach-mcgregor-under-nrl-microscope/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons handed $10,000 NRL fine for Paul McGregor's referee comments
Andrew Parkinson
1 Aug 2017, 3:46 p.m.
r37_386_2811_1957_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Expensive comments: Dragons coach Paul McGregor. Picture: John Veage

The NRL has issued St George Illawarra with a breach notice – and a potential fine of $10,000 – after coach Paul McGregor labelled the officiating in Saturday’s loss to Newcastle as “embarrassing” and “incompetent”.

McGregor made the statement in his post-match media conference after the Dragons were upset 21-14 by the Knights. The comments were made referring to the decisions by the NRL’s video referee bunker officials to deny tries to Tim Lafai and Nene Macdonald.

The Dragons released a statement in response to the breach notice on Tuesday afternoon.

“NRL rules state that “no club, club official or player shall, on a public occasion, comment on or with respect to the performance of a match official,” it said.

“The Dragons have five business days to respond to the breach notice and will be making no further comment at this time.”

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said in a statement McGregor’s comments “crossed the line”.

“In simple terms, the rule is that coaches, players and officials should not discuss referees and their performances in the public domain,” Canavan said.

“We have been pragmatic in dealing with instances where comments have been made but the competence and integrity of referees has not been questioned.

“All coaches should be aware that they risk sanctions if they discuss the performance of referees.”

The breach notice follows St George Illawarra being sanctioned by the NRL for a breach of the league’s concussion policy earlier this season.

The Dragons were originally fined $100,000 for their handling of an incident involving Josh Dugan in their win over Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium. St George Illawarra decided not to appeal and eventually accepted a $50,000 fine.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4826900/dragons-fined-10000-for-mcgregor-comments/?cs=3833

thebigredv

First Grade
Since when did we become the whipping boys??

McGregor said nothing compared to Stuart or Robinson earlier in the year??
Frizell was made the scapegoat for touching the ref when others did it before and after him without sanction.
JDB gets done for a crusher more recently where as Storm get applauded for it?
We copped the HIA one with Dugan when others get off scott free.

Did McGregor get an explanation for the poor decisions that he was seeking. I haven't heard Archer's explanation of the Lafai no try.

If I were you Mary, I wouldn't pay it.

SEAT 1A

Bench
“In simple terms, the rule is that coaches, players and officials should not discuss referees and their performances in the public domain,” Canavan said. “We have been pragmatic in dealing with instances where comments have been made but the competence and integrity of referees has not been questioned.

Rubs salt in the wound. The only thing I get out of this is, Archer is unable and unwilling to accept any blame regardless of every man and their dog, plus Joey Johns FFS see as wrong calls that cost's matches.

Basically we are protected, shut the hell up or you will be poorer for it.

EDIT. What else can Mary do, we are still seeing crap calls after Mary has gone through the correct channels.

silverex

Bench
If the NRL doesn't like its referees being called 'embarrassing' and 'incompetent', then how about 'corrupt'?

That's the only other explanation.

Greenburg and Archer are sitting there with their heads firmly up where the sun don't shine and have no idea that the BS that is served up every week is turning fans away from the game. Case in point, the recent report in media about crowd numbers.

They'd better get it sorted out quick smart or there'll be no NRL.

Red V for life

Juniors
Since when did we become the whipping boys??

McGregor said nothing compared to Stuart or Robinson earlier in the year??
Frizell was made the scapegoat for touching the ref when others did it before and after him without sanction.
JDB gets done for a crusher more recently where as Storm get applauded for it?
We copped the HIA one with Dugan when others get off scott free.

Did McGregor get an explanation for the poor decisions that he was seeking. I haven't heard Archer's explanation of the Lafai no try.

If I were you Mary, I wouldn't pay it.
Mate, I hope you're sitting down...

...Archer has said it is very clear once all angles were viewed that Nighty knocked the ball into SKD and therefore it was a knock on and the no try decision was correct.

Bunker said insufficient evidence to overturn.

Look, it's fish n chip shop paper now and we move on, but Archer's reasoning behind the decision is in conflict with the Bunker and this is what fans get sick of.

Talk about the Idiot's Guide to Covering your Ass on display.

Uplifting

Juniors
I'm not sure it's a good idea to have the NRL gag themselves about bad reffing. Considering that NRL games are bet on through the legal gambling industry a more transparent structure is needed.

Uplifting

Juniors
The NRL is a strange business. They have one of the worlds most dynamic team sports and can't seem to surpass crowd averages set back in the dark ages. Priorities are amiss.

Bench
As long as the NRL sits on its bum and slops up the money from TV deals it doesn't give a shit.
Take our game against Souths. 6pm start. That is a joke because most people work 9-5 so rule them out.
The clubs these days are getting screwed by the refs and the bunker.
The decisions are in our face nearly every week. However, a coach or player can't speak out against a decision.
The NRL and the referees who administer all facets should be open to critism where it's due and need to face the fans and justify their decisions.
Mark my words that it will happen that a decision on the ground will cost a team the game. How would any fan react if that happened in a grand final.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Should've doubled his fine for such a piss weak attempt at speaking out against referee's. Seriously, you know if you tease them about their hairstyle you are going to get a $10K fine, so if you're going to cross the line, make it damn well count and unload on them. I will say though, if Sticky's outburst wasn't worth a fine, can't see how Mary's was..........double standards right there.

I know i'm negative and cynical when it comes to Mary, in fact, i'm am just so over the amateur it's not funny, but, I thought his comments were lightweight and were more attuned towards positioning for a ready made excuse if we miss the top 8 by one win than they were about having a red hot shot at the refs. If we miss the 8 i can hear it now "i'm proud of what we achieved and it was only some poor refereeing decisions that cost us the opportunity to play finals footy".

Crush

Coach
It was in the nrl best interest to bring the knights into the game last week. They want there to be a race for the spoon. They want the panthers to make the eight not the dragons because panthers are the feelgood story that will get more traction than the dragons. Plus the bookies probably had something to do with it.
Conspiracy theories aren't usually my go but in this case the knights were gifted am unfair advantage.
Thats what McGregor should have said to really cop a 10k fine!

Dragons 09

Juniors
It was in the nrl best interest to bring the knights into the game last week. They want there to be a race for the spoon. They want the panthers to make the eight not the dragons because panthers are the feelgood story that will get more traction than the dragons. Plus the bookies probably had something to do with it.
Conspiracy theories aren't usually my go but in this case the knights were gifted am unfair advantage.
Thats what McGregor should have said to really cop a 10k fine!

Now something like that, would have been worth pulling the wallet out for. Value for money is the name of the game!

Last edited:

Latest posts