What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finucane

Craigshark

First Grade
Dare I say it, Schuster on a small deal with a potential extension for next season if he performs? Fitzy might just get the best out of him..

sladden road

Juniors
I think the Sharks have to make a submission to the NRL in relation to it, providing evidence its a genuine medical retirement. It is only then the NRL will make a determination how it effects the cap.

I'm basing this on what happened in relation to the retirements of Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis, Brett Stewart and Steve Matai which were on medical grounds. (this is the story from Fox Sports on the Stewart and Matai ones - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/c083651efe6210221657c6ca6fd076ab)
Mate, I reckon that has already happened.See Cordenor, and Friend.. Fitz has been here before.

After an illustrious NRL career spanning 13 seasons, Sharks co-captain Dale Finucane has today announced his retirement, effective immediately.

The champion forward will finish with a tally of 251 NRL matches, two premierships and a reputation as one of the toughest and hardest-working players of his era.

Finucane, 32, has left a lasting impact on the Sharks, having joined the club in 2022 and co-captained the team since last season. He played 33 games in black, white and blue, celebrating his 250th NRL match with a win over the Bulldogs at home in Round 2 this year.

"Dale is a revered leader and will always hold a special place in our history as Shark #549. His passion and dedication are the stuff of legend," CEO Dino Mezzatesta said.

"Whilst no longer playing, he won't be lost to the Sharks. Dale will take up a role working with the club in various capacities.

"It's a premature end to a stellar playing career, but we congratulate Dale on his plethora of achievements and wish him, his wife Maddie and children Freddy and Tommy all the very best in their next chapter."

The selfless Finucane grew up in Bega on the NSW south coast, being recruited by the Bulldogs in 2008 and working his way through their pathways system.

He earned his first-grade debut against the Rabbitohs in Round 13, 2012. He played in two grand finals for Canterbury before moving to the Storm in 2015.

The fearless lock appeared in four more grand finals for Melbourne, winning titles against the Cowboys in 2017 and Panthers in 2020 before bringing his experience to the Sharks.

Finucane represented NSW in the State of Origin arena five times, playing a part in two series victories. He also notched up four matches for Country NSW and won a World Club Challenge for the Storm against Leeds in 2018.

Success followed Finucane, who played in 28 finals matches and had a remarkable overall career win rate of just under 70%.

Finucane and Sharks head coach Craig Fitzgibbon will hold a press conference at 12pm.

sladden road

Juniors
Thanks Dale, your signing showed the way the club was heading. May the lords of the steeden bless you with good health and the love of your friends and family. May you also continue to belt out good tunes and support the mighties to a couple of premierships.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I think working off field would have been put in place fairly quickly, and if we couldn't have fit him in.
I think Fitz would have been on phone to Bellyache if interested in Dale for off field stuff

Frenzy.

Immortal
I wonder if it is a medical retirement?

hope he is content with it. He did cop a few bad knocks and his best days are behind him. I’m sure he has added a lot of professionalism to our squad and club even if he didn’t do too much on the field. Thanks Dale.
I don't think so. Medical retirement generally requires a new injury. This is cumulative and compound as I have been led to believe a while ago there are neck issues related to the concussions as well.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Claiming head injury as the reason may help, can’t imagine the NRL would discourage it and forcing player to play on? It’s different from an early leg injury.
Leg injury would give more chance. Like Burgess and his whatever injury. No one has been given medical retirement based on pre existing injuries. Everyone would do it if you could

Stake Removed

First Grade
Leg injury would give more chance. Like Burgess and his whatever injury. No one has been given medical retirement based on pre existing injuries. Everyone would do it if you could
But is it a pre existing injury, or has the concussions created a new injury.

Obviously related but new ??

Quigs

Immortal
Thanks for everything Dale. He has plenty in his kit bag of memories when it comes to the game and all well deserved too.

Enjoy your future.

Now as for the next co captain. I going for a dark horse ...... Big Tom.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Thanks for everything Dale. He has plenty in his kit bag of memories when it comes to the game and all well deserved too.

Enjoy your future.

Now as for the next co captain. I going for a dark horse ...... Big Tom.
Outside of Nicho

It will be Brailey