What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

King hit

Coach
Took Newcastle to a prelim
South’s to loads of prelims

and a dolphins side predicted to come last which is 2 million under the salary cap lol
Newcastle’s 2013 preliminary was a total fluke. I remember the 2013 season so vividly. They came 7th knocked of an overachieving Bulldogs and a declining Storm team before being destroyed by the Roosters. They were not in the same league as the Roosters in that preliminary. They were not seen as genuine contenders. Less said about Benny in Newcastle the better.

Apey

Staff member
Newcastle’s 2013 preliminary was a total fluke. I remember the 2013 season so vividly. They came 7th knocked of an overachieving Bulldogs and a declining Storm team before being destroyed by the Roosters. They were not in the same league as the Roosters in that preliminary. They were not seen as genuine contenders. Less said about Benny in Newcastle the better.
Another fantastic take of yours.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
I remember that finals series well too. Roosters Manly and Souths were the gun sides with some cracking games between them but the knights somehow got a rails run through to the prelim which was basically like a training run for the roosters.

King hit

Coach
Another fantastic take of yours.
I will forever stand by it. Manly, Easts and Souths were leagues above the Knights when it came to the last 4. I don’t recall a single person in 2013 believing Newcastle would win the premiership. I would back the Knights of last year to beat the 2013 team.

Wb1234

Referee

I remember that finals series well too. Roosters Manly and Souths were the gun sides with some cracking games between them but the knights somehow got a rails run through to the prelim which was basically like a training run for the roosters.
Knights gave it a good crack

Apey

Staff member
I will forever stand by it. Manly, Easts and Souths were leagues above the Knights when it came to the last 4. I don’t recall a single person in 2013 believing Newcastle would win the premiership. I would back the Knights of last year to beat the 2013 team.
Not sure how you decided the Premiers of the time (Storm) were 'declining'.

We were down 2 - 0 after 17 minutes when Buderus, our retiring Captain, all-time legend of the club and glue for that season was ruled out of the game. Roosters would have beaten us anyway but to say we were leagues behind is nonsense.

Your vivid memory of that season seems pretty awful.

Addendum: f**k Wayne.

Woody90

Juniors

I’m a Knights fan and this is sadly pretty accurate.

I think fluke is a bit harsh. We played very well the first 2 finals games, but other than 2 games our entire time under Bennett was very poor.

Then he f**ked off saying the squad that he built couldn’t be fixed.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Is this before or after you switched clubs?

Woody90

Juniors
Unless Souths truely feel that the current squad can win a comp in the next 2-3 years, I don’t think Bennett is the right call.

They’re going to be right back where they are now again when he leaves. They likely need a proper rebuild but I don’t think Bennett will stick around for that.

If Souths miss the 8 he’s got no chance being there round 1 next year. If they start this season the way they finished last he’s gone by June 30.
Well who couldn’t see that coming. Remember thinking he’d be gone by ANZAC Day - glad to know in the post I had a little more faith in him.

Valheru

Coach
I don’t buy it myself. Yes there are injuries, but all teams have them. I know you didn’t mention suspensions, but @Captain Apollo did, and that is part of my discipline point (particularly when it is the same few players giving away many of the suspensions and most of the in-game binnings that are most impactful to results).

You mention it yourself above; there is a slow start just about every year. When you hear Robbo talk about it he makes it seem like part of his master plan; famous ‘breaking the seasons up into smaller components’ mantra that he always seems to bring out this time of year when the Roosters are well behind the eightball. I get you don’t want to be playing your best footy in the early season, but a) the variability in Roosters play from week to week this time of year has been horrendous for a while and b) it doesn’t leave you with a lot of wriggle room come Origin time and the inevitable injuries a league season brings.
The 2021 injury toll was all time, I don't recall any other club having anything like it.

Yes what you describe is Robbo's MO and he has lived by it for 11 seasons now. He believes in it and the club obviously does too.

In regards to this season I strongly disagree their form has been that variable to start with the exception of the first 15 minutes of the dogs game which was truly bizarre. Their other 3 losses are Manly (Brookvale), Panthers and storm by a combined 19 points. Origin shouldn't be a problem for us this year with only Collins guaranteed to be selected, Teddy is the other obvious candidate.

We have also had a tough draw to start which really eases up after this week.

King hit

Coach
Not sure how you decided the Premiers of the time (Storm) were 'declining'.

We were down 2 - 0 after 17 minutes when Buderus, our retiring Captain, all-time legend of the club and glue for that season was ruled out of the game. Roosters would have beaten us anyway but to say we were leagues behind is nonsense.

Your vivid memory of that season seems pretty awful.

Addendum: f**k Wayne.
I remember Souths handled them quite convincingly in the first week of the finals. They didn’t have the same vibes of the premiership winning Storm teams. I loved Bedsy but he was way past it by then. Just took a look at the ladder from that year, the Roosters were 11 competition points ahead.

MugaB

Coach
The 2021 injury toll was all time, I don't recall any other club having anything like it.

Yes what you describe is Robbo's MO and he has lived by it for 11 seasons now. He believes in it and the club obviously does too.

In regards to this season I strongly disagree their form has been that variable to start with the exception of the first 15 minutes of the dogs game which was truly bizarre. Their other 3 losses are Manly (Brookvale), Panthers and storm by a combined 19 points. Origin shouldn't be a problem for us this year with only Collins guaranteed to be selected, Teddy is the other obvious candidate.

We have also had a tough draw to start which really eases up after this week.
Every team is tough, the soft draw is a myth, just like your coach's, actual coaching skills, the Sydney Globetrotters are massive underachievers

Last edited: