What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Fiji, now Lebanon

adamkungl

Immortal
Lebanon's WC players have withdrawn from future representation until the Lebanon board is thrown out.
Not sure why. something to do with the local clubs.

Something about this sport is just poisoned. Anyone know what's going on?

Burns

First Grade
I’m sorry, what is going on in this sport. This close to giving up, I can’t understand what could be at issue here. A bunch of Australian based players having issue with the Lebanese administration?

Burns

First Grade
To be blunt; I would much prefer Lebanon not play in the Pacific Test in place of Fiji.

But I just don’t understand these issues between the World Cup Squads and the domestic administrations. Has the Fiji NSW Cup team even been officially confirmed?

Why is everything in this sport so difficult?

StadiumXIII

Juniors
To be blunt; I would much prefer Lebanon not play in the Pacific Test in place of Fiji.

But I just don’t understand these issues between the World Cup Squads and the domestic administrations. Has the Fiji NSW Cup team even been officially confirmed?

All comes down to being mismanaged at the top mate, RLIF have a responsibility to deliver International RL effectively and fail to do that.

thorson1987

Coach
I’m sorry, what is going on in this sport. This close to giving up, I can’t understand what could be at issue here. A bunch of Australian based players having issue with the Lebanese administration?

Apparently the Aus based players are doing this to support the Lebanon based players.

langpark

First Grade
WTF!? What website was this posted on??

I am shocked, I thought things were going well in Lebanon, they even fielded a women's side last year, just to name one of many great things they seemed to be achieving locally.

What a shame.

RedVee

First Grade
So both Fiji and Lebanon have break out RLWC’s and then implode? WT-everlovin’-F ?
Let’s hope Tonga stays stable

Burns

First Grade
Can see Fifita not turning out for Tonga due to Origin and JT not playing because ‘reasons’ - you then have an ordinary Tonga losing to Samoa and the status quo restored.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
LRLF FEDERATION PRESS RELEASE
SAT 24 MARCH 2018
1152189461823132008_1338633039598247_3061892089138984380_n.jpg

LRLF FEDERATION STATEMENT

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has issued the following statement in response to an article that appeared in the 24 March edition of the Sydney Morning Herald, written by Adrian Proszenko and quoting former Lebanon coach Brad Fittler. The LRLF will release a scheduled PR on Monday:

"The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has just completed the most successful year in its history, and its reputation has never been higher both within the international rugby league community and the Lebanese government. We are looking forward to publishing a new strategy which will take the LRLF through the next world cup cycle.

“Concerning Brad Fittler’s comments:
• Suggestions that the leaders of the federation do not work in “the best interests of the game” are preposterous when one considers the Lebanese administrators have developed and grown the sport from nothing despite numerous wars, political and financial crises, have taken on personal debt, have personally paid for medical operations for Cedars players when insurance wouldn’t cover a particular aspect, all with little or no support, purely through their love of the game, which is now played in schools, universities and clubs. The federation has been carrying debts throughout its history and is now completely debt free for the first time through prudent financial management and the efforts of the administrative board members. To suggest these volunteer administrators and leaders do not have the game’s best interests at heart is insulting and baseless. Mr Fittler has not considered Lebanese rugby league fully in making his misguided comments
• “There was no money”: we suggest Mr Fittler considers the revenue of most federations in the international rugby league community. By and large, these all struggle to cope financially and the LRLF is no different, but thanks to our sponsors and partners we were able to support a successful campaign. Some of these sponsors have continued supporting LRLF projects in Lebanon
• The players and staff received 90% of all prize money from the world cup, and, thanks to our partners, the LRLF contributed an additional $25k to the player pool, over and above our agreement with them. When the division of the prize money was explained to Mr Fittler during the world cup his response, in front of witnesses, was “this is more than fair”.
• LRLF’s volunteer administrators also took unpaid leave and forwent income to participate in the campaign. Every player and staff member knew the terms of their commitment from the start
• “There were definitely gripes from the staff about raising funds and where the funds were going”: any suggestions of improper use of funds are inappropriate. LRLF’s accounts are properly submitted to the Lebanese government, the RLIF and our most recent annual accounts are currently being audited and will be published on our website in line with best governance practice

“We wish Mr Fittler luck. He coached the team well during the world cup, for which we are grateful for

adamkungl

Immortal
The sport is not a joke. The administration and the politics are the jokes.

Something about the sport and it's culture is toxic.
Something about the people it attracts in powerful positions makes it continually shoot itself in the foot.
It doesn't matter what country, or how much money is involved, seemingly. Incompetence and infighting reign supreme all the way from Lebanon to Australia.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Because there is no real leadership or controlling body like other sports have. All decisions are based on whether a profit can be made.

Last edited: