What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Imo, He inherited a club with its fair share of issues, with a roster that should be sniffing around the fringe of the finals, and had a full off season with them. At the very least I would have expected signs of improvement from a fair chuck of players, not the regressing we have seen from many of them

Contrasting that, mid year Cleary inherited an absolute basket case of a club and a poor roster, but week to week, you could see the improvements across both the team as a whole and the individuals roles inside it

I hope you're right, and Kearney is onto something, but his excuse about inheriating a roster is gone next year, he has added some players to his squad and cut a fair few as well. At this stage I'm not holding my breath for a big jump up in performance. They didn't finish seasons limply like that under Cleary, and the drop off form then on can be attributed to a number of things, with a succession line of poor coaches among them. I'm not convinced Kearney has what it takes to bring them out of the hole

Last edited:
I've had a gutsful.

"Keep the faith", "stick to the process" and "we're trying really hard" - they're just catch phrases to keep Warriors fans blindly walking through the gates in the hope that one day they'll taste success.

No fan wants to give up on their side but like many others, I'm close to the point of no return.

Having been a season ticket holder for nine years and a mad follower of the club since the late 90s I've experienced the highs of a 2011 Grand Final and the lows of missing the top eight for the past six seasons..

It's not the losing that has me pulling my hair out - it's the excuses that come with pitiful performances year after year.

Warriors players often come out saying they're training hard but it's "just not clicking".

Time to cut the crap, Warriors. You look across the ditch to the Melbourne Storm's regime and read through their intense training methods which involves jiu-jitsu and MMA sessions, "shark-bait" techniques and player rating systems which demand discipline and accountability.

Storm players are thrown into the octagon and made to survive gruelling contact drills where you can have up to four players charging at you. The goal - to put all four down to the ground before the next wave of players comes charging at you.

It was also revealed that Storm players are only allowed to return from the off-season no more than 1.5kg heavier than when they left at the end of the year.

And then there's their red and green light rating system. Score 5 or less and you face a confronting barrage of critique and abuse - those players don't tend to last at the Storm. And there is no doubt the majority of the Warriors squad would be out the door.

In startling contrast the Warriors have some players returning out of shape, out on the drink and an everlasting list of excuses.

The simple fact is the players aren't prepared to put the hard yards in. We see that game after game when the middle defence falls apart in the 60th minute. Line speed drops, communication disappears and the will to bleed for the jersey and for the bloke beside you is non-existent. When you mix an inability to be mentally tough, an inept coach and a negative philosophy the final product is a failing club culture.

Former Warriors utility Tui Lolohea's recent alcohol admissions are a prime example of what is wrong with the club.

He revealed he was "overweight, unhappy" and "drank his sorrows" away while at the club, having since turned his fortunes around after making the move to the Wests Tigers.

In recent seasons we've seen the likes of Konrad Hurrell flourish elsewhere and players such as Sam Tomkins and Ben Matulino wanting early releases from their contract. Leaders like Albert Vete, Manu Vatuvei, Sam Lisone, Bodene Thompson, and Matulino were caught up in the energy drink and prescription drug scandal while the Warriors continue to miss the playoffs year after year.

The decline of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Issac Luke and Kieran Foran's form is a sad sight for all league fans and the front row stocks for 2018 look abysmal.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? It appears not.

As a season ticket holder, I have one question for the club - Why should myself and thousands of fans renew our season passes to support a club in limbo?

If All Blacks fans can demand accountability and success, then Warriors fans can too.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11914558
Was Kearney around for this stuff at Storm?
If yes why would you not implement a similar system as soon as you started here?
Storm have been at the top for a long time for a reason.

Rich102

Staff member
MICHAEL Maguire has been accused of being too tough when it comes to training.
But is he the man to finally break through to the Warriors?

Former Penrith hard man Mark Geyer believes so.

Hours after South Sydney sacked Maguire as coach, Geyer has called on the Warriors to make a play for the 2014 premiership winning mentor.

Former New Zealand Test coach Stephen Kearney currently has the reins in Auckland after taking over from Andrew McFadden but he’s failed to make any great strides in his first season as coach.

The Warriors have long been accused of having a poor culture and lackadaisical attitude towards training.

They’re two things Maguire has never lacked.

In fact it was only a few years ago Maguire was accused of mentally and physically fatiguing his men.

He sets a high level for his players and demands his requirements are met.

Geyer is adamant that’s just what the Warriors need.

“One club that I think needs him more than others is the Warriors,” Geyer told the Triple M Grill Team.

“He’s the man to fix their woes.

“For three years he would get over there (and) he would rattle a few cages.

“He would make sure the off-field fitness regime which he’s famous for, which actually sees some players not want to play for him because he’s so hard, that would suit the Warriors to the ground.

“He’s the man for the job.”

While the Warriors move makes sense in theory, it’s highly unlikely.

The most realistic move would see Maguire return to England.

It was his success in Wigan after leaving Melbourne as an assistant which saw him landed the gig at the Rabbitohs.

League great and former Melbourne part-time assistant coach Matty Johns was certain this won’t be the last we’ve seen of Maguire.

While the relationship with the Rabbitohs had reached it’s used by date, Maguire has a wealth of knowledge several clubs need.

While staying on in the NRL is an option, the greatest demand for work is in the UK.

“A couple of big Super League clubs are desperate for him,” Johns said.

“He’s had some success. Madge went over to Wigan. They hadn’t won a competition in a number of years and that was a club with big expectations. It’s a huge club and they expect a lot and they won a competition the year he went there.

“He went to South Sydney with a lot of expectations. Let’s not forget, in the not too distant past, South Sydney were a basket case … Maguire comes along and they win their first comp since 71”

“He’s a sought after coach. He’s a coach who can rebuild a club

“Warrington are desperate for him.

“There’s a bit of talk about the Gold Coast Titans ... put it this way, he’s not going to be unemployed.”

www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/mark-geyer-calls-for-warriors-to-sign-former-south-sydney-coach-michael-maguire/news-story/9f85261a9de223797c0c3e20e1a2c3bb

MICHAEL Maguire has been accused of being too tough when it comes to training.
But is he the man to finally break through to the Warriors?

Former Penrith hard man Mark Geyer believes so.

Hours after South Sydney sacked Maguire as coach, Geyer has called on the Warriors to make a play for the 2014 premiership winning mentor.

Former New Zealand Test coach Stephen Kearney currently has the reins in Auckland after taking over from Andrew McFadden but he’s failed to make any great strides in his first season as coach.

The Warriors have long been accused of having a poor culture and lackadaisical attitude towards training.

They’re two things Maguire has never lacked.

In fact it was only a few years ago Maguire was accused of mentally and physically fatiguing his men.

He sets a high level for his players and demands his requirements are met.

Geyer is adamant that’s just what the Warriors need.

“One club that I think needs him more than others is the Warriors,” Geyer told the Triple M Grill Team.

“He’s the man to fix their woes.

“For three years he would get over there (and) he would rattle a few cages.

“He would make sure the off-field fitness regime which he’s famous for, which actually sees some players not want to play for him because he’s so hard, that would suit the Warriors to the ground.

“He’s the man for the job.”

While the Warriors move makes sense in theory, it’s highly unlikely.

The most realistic move would see Maguire return to England.

It was his success in Wigan after leaving Melbourne as an assistant which saw him landed the gig at the Rabbitohs.

League great and former Melbourne part-time assistant coach Matty Johns was certain this won’t be the last we’ve seen of Maguire.

While the relationship with the Rabbitohs had reached it’s used by date, Maguire has a wealth of knowledge several clubs need.

While staying on in the NRL is an option, the greatest demand for work is in the UK.

“A couple of big Super League clubs are desperate for him,” Johns said.

“He’s had some success. Madge went over to Wigan. They hadn’t won a competition in a number of years and that was a club with big expectations. It’s a huge club and they expect a lot and they won a competition the year he went there.

“He went to South Sydney with a lot of expectations. Let’s not forget, in the not too distant past, South Sydney were a basket case … Maguire comes along and they win their first comp since 71”

“He’s a sought after coach. He’s a coach who can rebuild a club

“Warrington are desperate for him.

“There’s a bit of talk about the Gold Coast Titans ... put it this way, he’s not going to be unemployed.”

www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/mark-geyer-calls-for-warriors-to-sign-former-south-sydney-coach-michael-maguire/news-story/9f85261a9de223797c0c3e20e1a2c3bb
You could see a few rats jumping ship if he showed up.
It would take a few years to sort out as we have plenty who don't want to put in.

vvvrulz

Coach
The smart ones are heading over to the Mt Smart retirement village for a cushy career wrap up.

JJ

Immortal
That's what's happening now don't you think?
In all seriousness from the regular team Matulino, Lillyman, Hoffman and Thompson are likely gone

You think they're the ones not putting in and are responsible for not making the finals in years??

That's full genius! Hoffman had poor form after his injury, Lillyman tries all the time, Matulino looks like he doesn't but is generally really good and of course had injuries, and I'm no Thompson fan but he tries and it's not his fault Kearney selects him when he's really struggling

That's full genius! Hoffman had poor form I'm no Thompson fan but he tries and it's not his fault Kearney selects him when he's really struggling
An interesting point that Kearney doesn't seem to get, when guys are down on form, drop them back for a bit, give them confidence and time to work on their issues in NSW cup and then bring them back up.

If he wants to be everyones friend, frame it as he is helping them out in the long run, instead of form being shit.

Reward those below, give them a taste of first grade and intensity lift.

p.s no Hoffman or Thompson fan.

Latest posts