What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I don't have a problem with them valuing him under the cap at $350K. Seems very fair for a top player like Izzy.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Fuc*ing NRL, just let him come back FFS! We try to everything by the book and we cop this shit. I am FUMING. This deal had better go through...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Do we really know what Lockyer was valued at under the cap?
Is the $200K genuine?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ncos-would-cost-your-team-20100814-1240b.html

But the revelation that Kangaroos skipper Darren Lockyer, one of the best players of all time, is on the books for a mere $250,000 a season raises further concerns over the salary cap's ability to fairly distribute playing talent - its stated purpose.

It's estimated that Thaiday and Hodges could command about $400,000 a season each on the open market but the NRL has ratified deals under the salary cap worth significantly less.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
$250K for Lockyer seems low. Glad the NRL are trying to fix it now. With the cap going up I reckon $350K for Izzy is about right.
Just do the deal Parra if we really want him.

TeHEel

Juniors
I don't have a problem with them valuing him under the cap at $350K. Seems very fair for a top player like Izzy.

The issue is not whether the price is fair, it is the inconsistency. If they wanted to handle these things better with more transparency they should publish a NRL player minimum salary cap value list. The issue I see is if exposed it would raise issues that they do not want to explain. Overal though in the long run it would be better for all.

Eels Dude

Coach
At the end of the day I have confidence in Peter Nolan slowly but surely getting our cap situation back in order.
Is that even his job though? I'd have thought it Edwards and the reason we're in this predicament is because Kearney and Nolan were doing it all themselves.

Ian Schubert must be sacked immediately
Folau out of the game for 2 years and says he's worth 350-400k
While Gasnier came back for 55k and he played Union, a similar game.

This is an absolute disgrace. We should call the NRL office and vioce our opinions

is this based on an official rule of the nrl or just a knee jerk reaction based on what happened with lockyer and gasnier?

the nrl should either put a rule in place to cover it or f**k off and leave us alone not try to dictate what we can and cant pay a player after every other man and his dog has changed things to suit themselves

$250K for Lockyer seems low. Glad the NRL are trying to fix it now. With the cap going up I reckon $350K for Izzy is about right.

funny they only want to 'fix' it when parra are buying a player but when it was the dragons and broncos it was open slather

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Lockyer was ridiculously undervalued so I suppose they are trying to at least appear to be doing something about it now.

thats the wrong way to go about it imo make a rule to cover ALL clubs dont just clamp down on one club to make it look like you are doing something after others have already got away with it

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Absolute disgrace, why do we always get the shit end if the stick ?? Rorted out a GF win, losing Kinga when players were happy to take a pay cut. Adding to the cap when we flew Fui's son out here, producing juniors only to have them poached by other clubs. We have done far more than the NRL have done to bring a former superstar player back to RL. And our reward?? A kick to the nuts :?

duck_dodgers

Juniors

Lockyer wouldve got a discount for long service ( think its 100k)

what he was on the books for and actually paid are 2 different animals .

boxhead

First Grade
Lockyer wouldve got a discount for long service ( think its 100k)

what he was on the books for and actually paid are 2 different animals .

That's the point though. Why would Lockyer be valued at 250K whilst being the Australian captain and a future Immortal yet Folau, who has been out of the game for two years, commands almost double that? It is just inconsistent from Schubert/the NRL. Don't even get me started on the Gasnier farce. If the NRL had any brains, common sense or business nous, they would have approved the deal weeks ago.

For those who are interested, "the Ken" has said this week will be interesting and the "lack of money" card is just to make the deal look sweeter when it is done.
Frankly, I still can't believe we only have 110K under the cap, so that's somewhat believable to me.

Tony Bongo

Bench
thats the wrong way to go about it imo make a rule to cover ALL clubs dont just clamp down on one club to make it look like you are doing something after others have already got away with it

I'm still surprised that the Dogs managed to squeeze an extra 2 players in mid season. I don't say I agree with how Schubert is handling things - I'm just saying that what it looks like to me is that they are now trying to make amends for their mistakes of the past. Sadly it would seem at our expense.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Lockyers $250K back in 2010 is equivalent to today's $350K, with the cap going up.
And maybe his $250K was after the $100K discount. Who knows.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you really need an answer to that? No I don't think you do, you must be having a lend.

But nice try fishing though.

Yeah I do need an answer to it. Why exactly should the quality of kids in our district translate into an advantage to our NRL club? The market decides where they go, and any geographical advantage we might gain from them living nearby is shared by every other club within driving distance of these players' homes.

Case in point, all the Eels 'juniors' we have poached from outside the district in the last 15 years, including the Hindmarshes, Luke Burt, Andrew Ryan, Willie Tonga, Jamie Lyon, Tim and Ben Smith, Jarryd Hayne and so on. All these guys lived closer to other clubs, just like how Paul Gallen lived closer to us but went elsewhere.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
I'm still surprised that the Dogs managed to squeeze an extra 2 players in mid season. I don't say I agree with how Schubert is handling things - I'm just saying that what it looks like to me is that they are now trying to make amends for their mistakes of the past. Sadly it would seem at our expense.

Pretty much. And yet we've always done things basically by the book and even went to the NRL on every occasion that we were slightly over the cap. We never intentionally attempted to cheat the cap. But no, clubs like the Bulldogs and the Storm can win premierships two years after they were found out.

The issue is not whether the price is fair, it is the inconsistency. If they wanted to handle these things better with more transparency they should publish a NRL player minimum salary cap value list. The issue I see is if exposed it would raise issues that they do not want to explain. Overal though in the long run it would be better for all.

you could have a set list of prices for things like playing city/country, origin, and aus or nz so no rep player can be paid less that a non rep player

Latest posts