What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Without doubt! They seem protected most of the time too.......rookie board hiring a rookie coach, amatuer hour!

Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes and the hiring of Stuart and Edwards is a step in the right direction.......

They haven't done anything wrong. They never do. It's always someone elses fault.
They're just trying to fix up all the mistakes of the previous board.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you could have a set list of prices for things like playing city/country, origin, and aus or nz so no rep player can be paid less that a non rep player

The problem there is an average player that managed to sneak his way into a rep team (think Jamie Soward) would find himself unemployable. No clubs would want a player that is valued higher than his actual worth.

Ironically, rep foty would immediately 'devalue' a player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, because footballers know where to put their money. :sarcasm:

Nobody's asking them to buy shares and property with it.

They are given the cash and told the value of the salary cap. Their only job is to decide the relative worth of every position in the squad and make sure it adds up to the salary cap.

That's football knowledge, not business knowledge you twit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
my thoughts are it should give us some kind of advantage because the club invests so much dough in the juniors in our area.

a few years ago i remember ovo saying at one of the 3p forums that the club spends $2m a year on junior development. can't remember who it was that was there but someone then pointed out that by comparison manly spend $50k per year and how on radio blocker was saying manly does have a junior nursey and it's called parra.

seems this "war" with the afl for west sydney that the nrl seem to think is happening is being funded by parra and penrith. if a club can't get an edge for funding so much development of junior talent, like parra, penrith, dragons and newcastle do, then the ruling body should be funding it.

But the amount we invest, and the origin of the juniors in which we invest that money are only tangentially related to the players from our geographic area.

The club does indeed get a reward for investing in juniors - through the 'academy' they get the first and best look at young players. This better informs our contract negotiations with them relative to the contracts offered by other clubs.

The money we invest into the junior district is more about growing new supporters. As far as non-playing kids into rugby league playing kids, it really should be the NRL's responsibility. Because we spread our net far and wide (as do all clubs) in our search for junior talent. Whether they learnt to play football in Guildford or Ipswich is irrelevent once they have signed a contract with us. This can happen as young as 13 or 14.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They haven't done anything wrong. They never do. It's always someone elses fault.
They're just trying to fix up all the mistakes of the previous board.

And you're surprised? The next board will say the same thing. Just like the next Prime Minister and the next US President.

duck_dodgers

Juniors
It would appear that way. And now it's the nrl's fault somehow.

It's always someone elses fault with these guys.

it is incredible ...

Hindy
Burt
Poore
Tonga
Horo
Shackleton

all gone

Lussick signed

and not enough cap for Folau

what did 3p stand for again ?

Eels Dude

Coach
The salary cap certainly contains a lot of mathematics when it comes down to front loading, back loading, concessions, bonuses, third party deals, match payments, allowances, and whatever else. I'd hope there was someone with business experience handling the contract side of things as opposed to just Nolan. He's there to identify talent and speak to player managers, not manage the cap and draw up the contracts himself.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The problem there is an average player that managed to sneak his way into a rep team (think Jamie Soward) would find himself unemployable. No clubs would want a player that is valued higher than his actual worth.

Ironically, rep foty would immediately 'devalue' a player.

Just let it be a free market and have the Schu spend his time investigating cheating, rather than taking 3-4 weeks to register one frickin player!

Ah well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you're saying folau won't be a good signing?

Not if he stops us getting a player we actually need, and at his price he will.

The only benefit I can see is that it will allow us to lose Hayne and still maintain some strike power. But I dare say he wants to come here because Hayne is staying so it's moot.

IFR33K

Coach

The only benefit I can see is that it will allow us to lose Hayne and still maintain some strike power. But I dare say he wants to come here because Hayne is staying so it's moot.

As reported, we are trying to fit izzy in for $110k. Surely if all parties are still working on izzy coming next year, than we got to be close to the actual figure the nrl has in mind.

If izzy takes more than 300k out of our cap, it's overs IMO. A desperate club will probably pay more, and we just finished with the spoon....

Avenger

Immortal

I wish you could stay moot or better still just mute.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As reported, we are trying to fit izzy in for $110k. Surely if all parties are still working on izzy coming next year, than we got to be close to the actual figure the nrl has in mind.

If izzy takes more than 300k out of our cap, it's overs IMO. A desperate club will probably pay more, and we just finished with the spoon....

Just because we ran last doesn't mean we need to be desperate. That will just lead to prolonged salary cap pain, as we've allegedly seen these past few years.

This is why I saw it as a positive that we missed out on so many big names this year. If we really were desperate we would have landed them, and it would have hurt us in the long run. We might have paid too much for Lussick but I trust Nolan that we didn't.

Anyway, I agree Folau will most likely turn out to be a waste of money. But the board can't afford to wait for next year's on field results. They need to get re-elected before then.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Just because we ran last doesn't mean we need to be desperate. That will just lead to prolonged salary cap pain, as we've allegedly seen these past few years.

This is why I saw it as a positive that we missed out on so many big names this year. If we really were desperate we would have landed them, and it would have hurt us in the long run. We might have paid too much for Lussick but I trust Nolan that we didn't.

Anyway, I agree Folau will most likely turn out to be a waste of money. But the board can't afford to wait for next year's on field results. They need to get re-elected before then.

Agree with what you're saying apart from Folau being a waste of money. I think he'll be back to his devastating best after a few rounds of footy.

boxhead

First Grade
Nobody's asking them to buy shares and property with it.

They are given the cash and told the value of the salary cap. Their only job is to decide the relative worth of every position in the squad and make sure it adds up to the salary cap.

That's football knowledge, not business knowledge you twit.

Football knowledge does not factor in; the value of the salaries, paying the salaries, managing the salaries, and complying with several regulations. Simple arithmetic doesn't apply when one has to negotiate terms with three parties; a player, an agent, and the NRL, and by extension, all the unions each party may represent. One has to consider the standards and practices of each party, and approach each party individually with a uniquely tailored approach.

Then we have all the fun and joy of managing multiple limits on payments to players, including how much a player can receive from certain outside sources, not to mention all the various third parties that would be interested in sponsoring a player.

I'm sorry, but you are deluded if you think any average individual armed with 'footballing experience' will know how to manage all of that. Not to mention that by nature of managing a salary cap, one also has to monitor the financial situation of the club itself. Can the club afford these players, can the club afford to pay them in this way? What about organizing the way payments are allocated to players and when they are allocated so as to maximize profit margins and reduce the frequency of debtors?

Yep, because someone like Anthony Watmough could just waltz into such a job and do it all as well as you claim.
Moron.

This is why recruitment is not solely managed by one party. Nolan identifies players and gives them a value, as you say, but he does it in tandem with Edwards and other staff who work on the actual financial details.

Last edited:

Latest posts