What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
From the day they sacked Anderson and bought in SK, the club has gone out of its way to blame everything on Anderson.

We have heard this from Delboy and Stagger (and a few others) who have contacts in the club, The ones they deem "influential" supporters if you will. They were all (the board etc.) quick to rid themselves of all blame and lump it on Anderson.

This is in no way an attack on the likes of Stagger or Delboy, they are just passing on what they were told and I like everyone very much appreciate the info they bring and don't question for a second the info they pass on is exactly what they have been told.

My opinion is that a lot of shit has happened and led us to this position, who is to blame? All of them has added there little bit of trouble.

What we are seeing though is that SK seems to be completely blameless, even though he re-signed a fair chunk of the squad.

He as part of the problem and if he truly was committed to his 5 year plan, why were we throwing shit tonnes of money at any player off contract during the year? Surely letting all those contracts run out at the end of next year would have been the better plan?

With Hayne injured we started the year poorly and the whole team lost confidence. Yes I'm well aware it's the coach's job to stop that kind of rot and Kearney couldn't do it.

By mid-season whatever plan Kearney had was replaced by the more urgent plan of keeping his job and getting 3P re-elected. Kearney definitely panicked (like keeping Burt in first grade to appease the fans) and he's got only himself to blame for getting the arse.

But I liked his plan and I'm glad we didn't splash out on big names through the year, because it would have meant we were paying overs and further prolonging our salary cap issues.

The best way to rebuild a shit club is slowly, but it requires patience from all involved, including the fans.

Delboy

First Grade
By mid-season whatever plan Kearney had was replaced by the more urgent plan of keeping his job and getting 3P re-elected. Kearney definitely panicked (like keeping Burt in first grade to appease the fans) and he's got only himself to blame for getting the arse.

Pou, if you think any coach goes out to assist the board you are seriously short a few sandwiches to make a picnic

At the end of the day he was not up to the task, that was the reality, he was a good bloke but a poor coach. No need to go overboard with the manlove, we all realise he tried hard, he just failed. Move on

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because we have the same team that ran last plus lussick....though minus Kearney so maybe we are in a bit less trouble

A lot of those players are young/inexperienced so they will be better players next year. Only a couple are decrepit, which are the ones you'd expect to get worse year on year.

We're in good shape next year. f**k all this talk about salary cap 'trouble'. We have a competitive squad for 2013, Folau/Falou or not.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, if you think any coach goes out to assist the board you are seriously short a few sandwiches to make a picnic

At the end of the day he was not up to the task, that was the reality, he was a good bloke but a poor coach. No need to go overboard with the manlove, we all realise he tried hard, he just failed. Move on

You're a f**king idiot Delboy. Honestly, you might have connections at the club but you've got to be one of the dumbest merkins on this forum.

If you think coaches aren't first and foremost concerned with keeping their jobs you don't know much about people.

TheRam

Coach
We share our junior nursery with every other Sydney team. Why would you expect there to be any advantage to us? It's not like we have exclusive right to any local juniors.

Do you really need an answer to that? No I don't think you do, you must be having a lend.

But nice try fishing though.

TheRam

Coach
Poupou could be onto something here! I hope he's right. (on the hayne thing, not the Ma'afu thing)

I doubt it very, very much. This board aren't anywhere near that good.

No I suspect that we will get into a bidding war over the next six or so months where anything can happen.

But a cunning Machiavellian style plot that actually succeeds by this board, ah ah, I don't think so. More the type of plot hatched by Boss Hogg and his sheriff Rosco.

IFR33K

Coach
You're a f**king idiot Delboy. Honestly, you might have connections at the club but you've got to be one of the dumbest merkins on this forum.

If you think coaches aren't first and foremost concerned with keeping their jobs you don't know much about people.

Don't hold back poo poo, tell us what you really think.

strider

Post Whore
wow - jarryd is doing great ... looks like he's back-ending, front-loading - hell I wonder if he's gonna mid-bulkup too ..... hope he at least plays more than half the games next year

Eelementary

Post Whore
No doubt that's a question worth asking!
But that wasn't the one I was previously answering...

Easy to be a little too harsh on the cap management side of things too. It's a tough job, and a club is bound to spend almost the full cap every season anyway (like $3.8 out of $4.3 mill). So if you miss out on good players, you're FORCED to overpay duds.
I don't like it, but that's the way it goes currently.... [anti-profiteering measure for the clubs, they're aiming to force clubs to be competitive rather than just losing every season while only spending $1m and raking in $3m+ for the club's benefit]

From what I understand, we were UNDER the cap by close to $500k this season, and PERHAPS the push to sign TW or Hinchcliffe involved a 'signing bonus' (which uses current season salary cap space).

I'm not defending the overpaying of a useless squad, but it's worth noting that you've got to use most of cap amount anyway, regardless of talent level.....

That's a very important thing to remember, too - because of the way the cap is structured, and because of our inability to attract high profile players (with the odd exception), we found we had to overpay average players.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
wow - jarryd is doing great ... looks like he's back-ending, front-loading - hell I wonder if he's gonna mid-bulkup too ..... hope he at least plays more than half the games next year

Yep he's backended and front loaded. No wonder we've got no cap space.

Eelementary

Post Whore
From the day they sacked Anderson and bought in SK, the club has gone out of its way to blame everything on Anderson.

We have heard this from Delboy and Stagger (and a few others) who have contacts in the club, The ones they deem "influential" supporters if you will. They were all (the board etc.) quick to rid themselves of all blame and lump it on Anderson.

This is in no way an attack on the likes of Stagger or Delboy, they are just passing on what they were told and I like everyone very much appreciate the info they bring and don't question for a second the info they pass on is exactly what they have been told.

My opinion is that a lot of shit has happened and led us to this position, who is to blame? All of them has added there little bit of trouble.

What we are seeing though is that SK seems to be completely blameless, even though he re-signed a fair chunk of the squad.

He as part of the problem and if he truly was committed to his 5 year plan, why were we throwing shit tonnes of money at any player off contract during the year? Surely letting all those contracts run out at the end of next year would have been the better plan?

I don't think anyone is saying Kearney is blameless - rather, people such as Pou and myself are saying that, while he made a lot of mistakes and his tenure here was a failure, there were some factors beyond his control that made things very difficult for him (and any coaches before and after him).

It's been said often how badly managed our cap is - and a rookie coach was never going to be the smartest choice to manage all that. But I think that blame should be directed at the powerbrokers who made those decisions, right?

gustarny

Juniors

I have sat here and read your continual verbal diarrhoea for the past few seasons .I suggest before you go calling anyone a F------ Idiot that you are standing in front of your mirror.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...king-izzy-an-eel/story-e6frext9-1226518518536

Hey NRL, get busy making Izzy an Eel

Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
November 17, 2012 12:00AM

Daily Telegraph

RUGBY league's new fearless leader is said to be from the banking world, and there is every chance you have never heard his name.

We wish him all the best - the identity of the new chief executive is being guarded like the Hope Diamond - but it appears the game has missed out on the Andrew Demetriou-like figurehead with steel-capped boots ideal for kicking heads.

The impasse between the Eels and the NRL in securing Israel Folau is another indication of a game desperately requiring strong leadership. If Demetriou were in charge, he would surely have Folau stitched up with the billboards along Parramatta Road already in place.

He would have the foresight to know Folau is a thousand-watt superstar, wanting to return to his preferred code, to the powerhouse that is Parramatta, which finished at the bottom of the table last season, out there on the footy battlefield that is the Golden West of Sydney.

The Eels want to back-end the Folau deal and pay him a nominal amount in the first year. This column has been told NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert has told them his market value is about $350,000 to $400,000 - which seems excessive for a bloke who is a risk considering he hasn't played league for two years.

Parramatta will need to move players on, starting with centre Willie Tonga, to accommodate Folau. But what happens if they cannot?With the utmost respect for the salary cap, Schubert and the job he does, surely the bigger picture of letting Folau join his church-lovin' mates at Parramatta needs to be considered.

Indeed, this situation is becoming eerily similar to that of Greg Inglis two years ago, when he was squeezed out of Melbourne and found himself stuck between the Broncos and the Bunnies.

Those close to Inglis say we'll never know how close he went to signing with Essendon out of pure frustration. Given his importance to the game - an indigenous icon, with the form to back it up - can you imagine how disastrous it would've been if that happened?

The likes of Inglis and Folau are not bit players. They are Australian players. Nobody is watching your game without them.

Demetriou has shown in recent years that he's prepared to suck up whatever venom is sprayed at him from the AFL establishment when it comes to the greater good of his code. Another consideration is Eels coach Ricky Stuart's statement this week when he said he felt he was "punching his head against a brick wall" over the Folau negotiations.

For the sake of innocent brick walls across the city, let's hope the deal is done soon.

so Schubert thinks he's worth more than Lockyer under the cap

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
like the article says, the NRL should be trying to get the deal done not putting up brick walls

Tony Bongo

Bench

I suspect that we are trying to get as much mileage out of the cap as possible and good on the club for trying if that's the case. My guess is that there will be a compromise and Schubert will be able to say he stood his ground while we still get Folau at a discounted rate for his first year (even if it's not as low as our first proposal). Everyone knows that Lockyer was ridiculously undervalued so I suppose they are trying to at least appear to be doing something about it now.
At the end of the day I have confidence in Peter Nolan slowly but surely getting our cap situation back in order.