What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Paddles

Juniors
Just reading the room, I suspect email and phone calls were coming in on a massive scale.

The fact that the Club called an EGM supports this view.

Traditionally, the board votes by consensus. Usually, if one or two board members were unhappy, then consensus follows.

We may have bigger issues to consider, namely what led to the decision to pursue Folau's signature.

The complete lack of perspective, checks and balances, and apparent blindsiding at a pretty obvious outcome is gobsmacking. What is going on? Are they so detached that they thought this would be well received? Is this Webb's strategy? I was starting to think he was a shrewd operator.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Maybe it's an admission that we need to strengthen our team ie. we have a weak squad in the eyes of the coach. This should concern fans more than the ideologies held by particular players.
Folau was never going be the silver bullet. Plus the NRL were unlikely to give the green light.

Old Timer

Coach
Complain all you like about the St GI stand thus far but we are way in front of the NRL who have said they will continue to consider a Folau return to the code.

If the NRL compass was set correctly this would never have got legs but it is hard for a code with a lot of low life's playing it and also heavily involved within the code in various capacities to be totally ethical.

thebigredv

First Grade
Folau was never going be the silver bullet. Plus the NRL were unlikely to give the green light.

Silver bullets are overrated.
We need a strong squad which can only be strengthened by the calibre of players there. He would have been a piece of a puzzle for Griffin to work with a la Gasnier in 2010.

High calibre players will no doubt come along throughout the year but (all bible references aside) that is what Folau was and now we have to wait for the next opportunity to come along.

borat

Bench
Just when I thought we had hit absolute rock bottom, this Folau circus just about takes the cake

Can we look any more desperate than chasing this toxic mess

borat

Bench
Silver bullets are overrated.
We need a strong squad which can only be strengthened by the calibre of players there. He would have been a piece of a puzzle for Griffin to work with a la Gasnier in 2010.

High calibre players will no doubt come along throughout the year but (all bible references aside) that is what Folau was and now we have to wait for the next opportunity to come along.
Folau would not have lasted 6 weeks before his next social media sermon.

Hitler would have been a more popular signing

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, I wonder how the other Dragons' players feel about this person that if he joins the squad they would resign on the spot?

In my opinion, this attempt to have Folau join the Dragons will not be successful as the NRL won't go back on their earlier decision. Granted, he has been a great athlete in the sports he has played and maybe he would help us win a few games but overall he has done more harm with the things that he has said and his inclusion in our squad will be at the expense of several promising younger players who very well might be as good as Folau one day.

Our recruitment has been struggling. McInnes not re-signed, not getting guys like Welch, getting some highlights on the media with other possibilities like Folau, not so far being able to sign up tough forwards which they originally identified as being needed by the club.

They should put Folau off their agenda forthwith and focus on the forwards.
This!

SaintPauli

Juniors
Same sex marriage in the bible is very much open to interpretation.

Carl Truman, a writer for First Things, said Folau used social media to express unorthodox, perhaps even heretical, views on the Trinity. First Things is an influential religious journal that was founded to confront the ideology of secularism, so most definitely a source that should be supporting Folau's views. But it's not that simple.

Truman writes: "Christians love nothing so much as a celebrity martyr. And yet here there is a problem: Folau’s religious views are really anything but Christian in the historic, dogmatic sense of the word, because he denies that most basic of Christian creedal doctrines, the Trinity."
[Source]

Ever since the same sex marriage bill was passed, organisations like the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) have been saying that they are the victims. They firmly believe in the debatable notion that their religious rights are being taken away.

But the truth is, the ACL are trying to ostracise others. Moreover, they forget that we don't live in a theocracy.

What has the ACL got to do with Folau?

Well... the ACL threw their support behind Folau when Rugby Union sacked him. They raised millions of dollars through their networks and connections. [Source]

The ACL are not poor, they are not victims. On the contrary, they are quite powerful, actually hold influence and are actively involved in politics.

The ACL's activities in the Folau case raised a lot of questions. Here was a so-called non-profit charity, raising money and giving it over to defend a wealthy footballer who was saying the most uncharitable things. Folau had previously sought to raise money through the GoFundMe website but this was pulled after it discovered that he was breaching GoFundMe's T&Cs. So the ACL got on board. [Source].

So, when the NRL are considering the request from the Dragons, we can only wonder if they are looking into all aspects of the case. They should ask themselves if they're inviting in trouble from a far right organisation that sees an opportunity to promote their cause, and have a war chest to back it up. More importantly, have our board truly considered the potential implications?
The Christian belief is that Sodomy is not natural. Also a child needs a mother and father with distinct chatateristics for bringing up that child. Also a man and woman are made for a natural bodily union and for procreation. The problem today is there is so much confusion.

The dragons today withdrew their efforts, clearly because as it stands today public opinion, media and those who yell the loudest matters.

I imagine that from time to time they’d be a number of protestors attend his games to give him a hard time.

Fans who are less tolerant or are not concerned about his speech would take strong exception to this. Some of his disciples would rock up.

And so the violence and disorder ensue.

So don’t bring the kids to an sgi game.

You’d have to hire increased security, sponsors would be abandoned by gays and liberal minded people.

You’d probably be boycotted by people and companies.

It would all get out of hand.

That the nrl think this is ok shows how out of touch they are.

I was offended by his comments and I have the traditional nuclear family thing happening. I don’t want my beautiful kids poisoned by his nonsense. If this is really Christianity, I’d prefer they grew up worshipping the next door neighbours cat.

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
Disagree, he should be ostracized for being homophobic. To many people use this religon shit as an excuse. Just cause some merkin wrote it down hundreds or thousands of years ago doesn't mean it is infallible. You can find versus in the bible that will tell you if a man rapes a woman he has to pay her father compensation and marry her and never leave her and its all good. Its ancient garbage.
I also agree and struggle with that verse which is actually in old testament text. Most interpret that today as avoid getting yourself into that situation and don't stuff up. The new testament though is much clearer.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Christian belief is that Sodomy is not natural. Also a child needs a mother and father with distinct chatateristics for bringing up that child. Also a man and woman are made for a natural bodily union and for procreation. The problem today is there is so much confusion.

The dragons today withdrew their efforts, clearly because as it stands today public opinion, media and those who yell the loudest matters.
Obviously not all christians agree with your interpretation. And what a loving family looks like is, quite frankly, not your decision to make. It's only confusing for people who can't get over their own own prejudices.

I get it, you're against Same Sex Marriage.

Public opinion doesn't agree with you, but I think you've forgotten that there was a vote, and the public overwhelmingly voted in favour of SSM.

Not that it was anyone's business but the strong christian lobby wanted their chance to have a say in how people lived their lives. And here's the thing, they lost. The people have spoken.

Unfortunately there remain people who still can't accept the result. Folau was one of those people. He is part of that push back against equal rights.

Ask yourself, if there was a player advocating for apartheid or to take away women's right to vote, would we want to sign him? SSM is also an equal rights issue.

It looks like majority public opinion was against Folau again, to dismiss this as media driven or who yells the loudest is insulting to the actial democratic process that got us here.

moes

Bench
Why is it that a fellow human can get offended by another humans words, without even so much as knowing that human?

It’s intriguing to me .

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree Saint Paul, it's piss weak that the club has bowed down to people who must never of been hurtful or said anything to upset others.
In the end Folau never broke any law or he would of been charged. Instead he actually won a court case over the way he was treated.
I believe this is another decision why our club is in the state it is.
As for Griffin I commend him for thinking outside the box and having the guts to try and do the best by the club.

moes

Bench
I agree Saint Paul, it's piss weak that the club has bowed down to people who must never of been hurtful or said anything to upset others.
In the end Folau never broke any law or he would of been charged. Instead he actually won a court case over the way he was treated.
I believe this is another decision why our club is in the state it is.
As for Griffin I commend him for thinking outside the box and having the guts to try and do the best by the club.

I agree except Griffin was doing what’s best for the ‘team’ and not ‘club’. This was never going to be a good thing for a club based on public backlash

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
And if you ever needed any more proof that signing Folau is a bad idea, here it is. Paul Gallen wants us to sign him....

Former Origin skipper Paul Gallen has gone in to bat for Israel Folau, saying it would be hypocritical of the NRL to not allow the controversial star to return.

Speaking to 2GB’s Ben Fordham, the former Sharks star said inclusiveness went both ways, and the NRL had to allow Folau to return.

“I’ve got no problem with Israel coming back, there’s got to be some strict guidelines in the contract around what he can and can’t do, particularly on social media,” Gallen said.

“But the NRL talks about inclusiveness, if they block him from coming back well they’re going against what they’re saying themselves.

“It was a while ago that all this happened and hopefully Israel has learned from it.

More: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/d89af60572636ebf26648423643120a3

"...hopefully Israel has learned from it" - compelling argument.

The only problem with the "inclusiveness works both ways" argument is that Folau preaches a belief that is anti-inclusive.

and here I was thinking it's impossible to hate gallen more than I already do