What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree Saint Paul, it's piss weak that the club has bowed down to people who must never of been hurtful or said anything to upset others.
In the end Folau never broke any law or he would of been charged. Instead he actually won a court case over the way he was treated.
I believe this is another decision why our club is in the state it is.
As for Griffin I commend him for thinking outside the box and having the guts to try and do the best by the club.
Folau never won the court case. It was settled out of court. But he did claim the high moral ground immediately following that shitstorm.

Folau and his lobby did lose the plebiscite but couldn't accept the result.

Interesting how some folks can't accept the results, and yet they label those who argue against Folau as "sooks".

dragon thomo

Juniors
Again some people on this forum have never hurt another person verbally or mentally.
Amazing we are Saints aren’t we.

Wizardman

First Grade
As I stated earlier, I really doubt the Dragons were keen on signing Folau. The timing of the interest to the media tells me it was nothing more than a smokescreen from the McInness departure. The fact that they dropped off so quickly only confirms my view.

Wizardman

First Grade
If that’s true they’re dumber than I thought.

Would have done less damage to say nothing.
100% agree......timing was way too close though

A bit of an accurate reflection of the management of St George Illawarra at the moment.

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors
Part of me would like to believe that this was an attempt at clever media management (as dumb as that would have been), but I think it just confirms what an inept management team we have.

Griffin has been chasing Folau for months. Not a great sign given his history. The board signed off on it a month ago. We know their decision making is terrible. And the ceo was not smart or powerful enough to put a stop to it, to the extent he had to go out and humiliate himself with a stupid announcement followed swiftly by a monumental backflip.

Dragsters

First Grade
Thank non-descript fictional deity this is finally done and dusted.

As a club looking for a fresh start with a new coaching team and a bunch of young talent coming through, the last thing we needed was the added, unwanted attention and pressure a signing of this ilk would likely bring on us.

Time to move on...

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Regardless of whatever peoples beliefs are, surely the action of cancelling any thought of hiring the player is in the best interest of the club.

Lets face it, its one less issue the club, coach and players now have to deal with and that must be a good thing. Right now, more than ever, we need peace & harmony amongst the whole club and playing group.

Last nights' decision will go a long way to give us a fighting chance to achieve that.

Lest than a month to go until we play, can't wait ....... Go the Saints!

betcats

Referee
I also agree and struggle with that verse which is actually in old testament text. Most interpret that today as avoid getting yourself into that situation and don't stuff up. The new testament though is much clearer.

The thing is it was all written so long ago that only an idiot would try and take it all literally. Rape and slavery are condoned in the bible, slavery even in the new testament. So I dont know why some christians are still getting hung up on gay people, just ignore that part of the bible like all the parts that talk about slavery or rape or about how women should keep their mouths shut and tend to the home.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
As I stated earlier, I really doubt the Dragons were keen on signing Folau. The timing of the interest to the media tells me it was nothing more than a smokescreen from the McInness departure. The fact that they dropped off so quickly only confirms my view.
So dragons let their captain and best player go to their rival, infuriating their fans...then create a smokescreen by saying they want to sign the biggest dickhead out there...yeah...nah...it just made me twice as infuriated.

possm

Coach
Folau never won the court case. It was settled out of court. But he did claim the high moral ground immediately following that shitstorm.

Folau and his lobby did lose the plebiscite but couldn't accept the result.

Interesting how some folks can't accept the results, and yet they label those who argue against Folau as "sooks".
I'm very disappointed to have witnessed such hate on both sides of this subject. In my opinion those slinging hate barbs in the name of defunding people with a contrary view is appalling.

I have kept out of this discussion on purpose mainly because I believe those on both sides of this matter are wrong. Yes hate speach is something that should not be tolerated but it is something else when the defenders are themselves thrusting hateful barbs in return.

I am on this forum not to discuss anything about sexuality or what is socially correct or not. For those that think it is right to beat up on people that are vulnerable, I'd say to myself you are cowards. For those who use hateful speech to condemn another who have uttered hateful speech, I'd say to myself you are a hypocrite. And for those who cling to particular views based on half truths or part of a statistic I say shame on you for inflaming the situation.

Our NRL team will not be worse off by the non-recruitment of Folau because we have budding young candidates for the fullback and left centre positions in Ramsey and Max Feagai who will do the job fine and who will only be served better by occupying these positions as early in 2021 as Griffin feels is appropriate. The loss of McInnes is also not the end of the world providing we can satisfactorily replace him with a good hooker. I don't believe he is a good lock.

Unlike McInnes, I have a lot of faith in our coaching staff to move our team forward in a very positive way.

I also feel that the club would be served much better when Millward exits the recruitment position (but that is another matter altogether. Poor recruitment along with poor coaching has been a big part of our prolems over the past few years.

I would much prefer that McInnes exits Saints prior to seasons start so that we can use that cap to fill the hooker position with a player like B Smith. McInnes has acted without integrity and out of self interest. I say under no circumstances should he retain the captaincy for 2021.

If McInnes cared for our club, as some on this forum would have us believe, he would have come back after his meeting with the Sharks and given Griffin the opportunity to table an offer that matched or bettered the one offered by the Sharks or maybe even just shake Cam's hand and wish him the best of luck for the future. This would have given our club more time to maybe arrange a swap deal for season 2021 and beyond.

So like it or not, this is my view on the matters raised over the past few days.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Part of me would like to believe that this was an attempt at clever media management (as dumb as that would have been), but I think it just confirms what an inept management team we have.

Griffin has been chasing Folau for months. Not a great sign given his history. The board signed off on it a month ago. We know their decision making is terrible. And the ceo was not smart or powerful enough to put a stop to it, to the extent he had to go out and humiliate himself with a stupid announcement followed swiftly by a monumental backflip.

“clever” and “dragons” hasn’t been part of the English vocabulary for the past 10 years.

this looks to me like another decision by a dinosaur board who didn’t and probably still don’t understand the impact of signing a hate spreading bigot to the club.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...this club will be the death of me

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Again some people on this forum have never hurt another person verbally or mentally.
Amazing we are Saints aren’t we.
I cant speak for everyone, only myself. I'm no angel, but I have never engaged in hate speech or attacked a minority. That would be especially so if my words held influence.

Perhaps you're talking about your own experience.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Can u imagine if we publicly announced we weren’t going after Folau anymore just to stop the media/social backlash

But in secret behind the doors were still in talks :joy:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Can u imagine if we publicly announced we weren’t going after Folau anymore just to stop the media/social backlash

But in secret behind the doors were still in talks :joy:
Don't think so. It's all over bar the shouting.

There was probably some reservations amongst the board and admin, but they thought it OK to test the water. More likely they were surprised by the level of fan backlash.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For those who use hateful speech to condemn another who have uttered hateful speech, I'd say to myself you are a hypocrite.
Only a minor thing, but it's generally called hate speech, not hateful speech. Just to add to the complex nature of things...

'Hate speech' is a specific reference to premediated publicly said things or publications that encourage attacks on another group based on their race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc.

People do say 'hateful' things to each other, but it is often in the heat of the moment and not premeditated. Plus it is usually one-on-one and not necessarily in reference to a person's race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc. For example, we might call someone a "f**kwit" - it isn't very nice but it's hardly hate speech.

Of course there are grey areas. For example, we can argue that racial vilification can cross that line even if it's said in the heat of the moment.

With that in mind, I'm not aware of anyone expressing 'hate speech' in this thread.