What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food for thought from a rival coach

mickeylane

Bench
Was fortunate enough to be be having breakfast with a journalist friend yesterday and happened to have bumped into Roosters coach - Trent Robinson whilst we were having breakfast.

Interesting when Trent was asked by my mate what he thought about the whole salary cap debacle and trying to fit 30 players under the cap - Trent Robinson said the trick was to try and sign players who each offer something different especially in the backline - he said I try and avoid having more than 2 players who offer me the same skill set in similar positions.

I thought that was quite a simplistic view but thinking about it - it made a lot of sense . Trying to apply it back to the Dragons current backline I was stumped beyond Dufty (who has pace and elusiveness) what point of difference each one of our backs offer..

All our backline have similar redeeming features:
- sluggish
- can't pass
- can't jump

Life's Good

Coach
With all due respect what Robinson said is quite obvious. Teams need to be balanced so your squad needs to reflect that. The challenge is being able to get the right players(if you talk about external recruitment). That comes down to dollars and having a coach that players want to play under.

BennyV

Referee
Many of our options in the backs do offer a point of difference, but the balance has been completely f**ked for years.

For example - Lafai has shown a very good ability to draw and pass or offload in traffic, yet they stick the slowest winger in the comp outside of him, nullifying many of the opportunities he creates.
Nene offers size and a good vertical leap, yet they stick him on the right side of the field, away from our main kicker and main point of difference.
Aitken offers brute strength but struggles in defence and ball skills, so they put him outside the least skillful half in the comp.
Mann offers natural footy instincts and game smarts, yet he's confined to the bench for 70+ minutes a game and torn between several different positions to cover concerns.

And so on. The problem isn't over/under utilisation of a skillset across our backline. It's the moron in the coaches box that doesnt know how to work combinations, strategy or game plans. That's always been the problem, and shuffling the players isnt going to help it.

Drag Queen

Bench
Many of our options in the backs do offer a point of difference, but the balance has been completely f**ked for years.

For example - Lafai has shown a very good ability to draw and pass or offload in traffic, yet they stick the slowest winger in the comp outside of him, nullifying many of the opportunities he creates.
Nene offers size and a good vertical leap, yet they stick him on the right side of the field, away from our main kicker and main point of difference.
Aitken offers brute strength but struggles in defence and ball skills, so they put him outside the least skillful half in the comp.
Mann offers natural footy instincts and game smarts, yet he's confined to the bench for 70+ minutes a game and torn between several different positions to cover concerns.

And so on. The problem isn't over/under utilisation of a skillset across our backline. It's the moron in the coaches box that doesnt know how to work combinations, strategy or game plans. That's always been the problem, and shuffling the players isnt going to help it.
Spot on.

saintzrule

Juniors

A seriously brilliant analysis !

BigBoss

Juniors

Well said champ.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Skills Coach should ensure that the players have adequate skills. I believe that most skills can be improved with practice apart from say speed and kicking which are natural talents.

JDHD

Juniors
With all due respect what Robinson said is quite obvious. Teams need to be balanced so your squad needs to reflect that. The challenge is being able to get the right players(if you talk about external recruitment). That comes down to dollars and having a coach that players want to play under.

f**k due respect, I'll come right out and say it: Trent Robinson is the most overrated coach in the league. He's built his reputation on a kissed-on-the-dick first year premiership with SBW, Maloney and Minichello in the same team. He then hasn't gotten his team to perform consistently in the last three seasons (even coming 15th in 2016) and has made bizarre personnel changes like cutting Maloney and paying Nikorima $350k/season. He hasn't been able to control his players off the field ie Pearce and the dog. He's been dining out on his 2013 premiership for three years and now he's got Cronk and Tedesco. If they don't win the comp he'll be out on his arse faster than if Robbie Farah was in his team.

Saintsified

Bench
Was fortunate enough to be be having breakfast with a journalist friend yesterday and happened to have bumped into Roosters coach - Trent Robinson whilst we were having breakfast.

Interesting when Trent was asked by my mate what he thought about the whole salary cap debacle and trying to fit 30 players under the cap - Trent Robinson said the trick was to try and sign players who each offer something different especially in the backline - he said I try and avoid having more than 2 players who offer me the same skill set in similar positions.

I thought that was quite a simplistic view but thinking about it - it made a lot of sense . Trying to apply it back to the Dragons current backline I was stumped beyond Dufty (who has pace and elusiveness) what point of difference each one of our backs offer..

All our backline have similar redeeming features:
- sluggish
- can't pass
- can't jump
What no "ST GEORGE CAN'T PLAY" ?

f**k due respect, I'll come right out and say it: Trent Robinson is the most overrated coach in the league. He's built his reputation on a kissed-on-the-dick first year premiership with SBW, Maloney and Minichello in the same team. He then hasn't gotten his team to perform consistently in the last three seasons (even coming 15th in 2016) and has made bizarre personnel changes like cutting Maloney and paying Nikorima $350k/season. He hasn't been able to control his players off the field ie Pearce and the dog. He's been dining out on his 2013 premiership for three years and now he's got Cronk and Tedesco. If they don't win the comp he'll be out on his arse faster than if Robbie Farah was in his team.

I argue this point with my Rooster friend all the time. Robbo is the weak link in the whole organisation. The only thing stopping them winning next year is Robbo. Apart from year 1, awful record of losing in semis against underdogs.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Do we actually have a skill coach.

No its part of what mary does lol.
We have a defensive one that young.
A attacking coach wich is hornby.
But mary has the final say even in what the rehab ect do.
He is the head coach .
Well that is what he is emplyed as.

TheElephantSeal

Juniors