What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foran is going?

Iafeta

Referee
Bravo Canterbury. Their cap manipul... I mean management must be world class. Woods and Foran in, evidently they have found a way to keep Graham too. The rich get richer.

As much as it's been great to have Kieran, the Warriors need to be careful. The Tigers now have significant coin to spend, and Shaun and Ben are very close to Ivan. This could all backfire spectacularly and the risk is we implode into another Newcastle.

Iafeta

Referee
Anyone hear Doyle's interview? Says everything that has been reported is unsubstantiated lies.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah I think he would. He wasn't answering media questions, it was a proactive media release video. It was really good and refreshing frankly.

gordynz

Juniors
If we do lose Foran then I'd make a play for Tyrone Roberts. I love Ata but I think he's still a couple years off.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If we do lose Foran then I'd make a play for Tyrone Roberts. I love Ata but I think he's still a couple years off.

Lino seems to have matured further and never really got a go with Johnson, he just got chucked in when SJ was injured and our team was 2016 Newcastle level out of its depth. He prolly deserves a proper go at some point.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What ever, your coach is crap.

Sad really, I would be happy to see you win, but you have an assistant as coach.

Stacey will do it....he is you man.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We have one gun half and two decent halves on the books (not counting Foran). The market isn't exactly awash with quality halves and we also need props and outside backs more urgently. I'd be playing it safe and locking up our current guys while attempting to recruit for the propping and wing spots.

Big Marn

Juniors
props are number 1 priority otherwise our halves dont have much to work with.
we also need to create some depth as our bench is where we fall down. Spend overs on a prime prop and then try and get a Queensland Cup up and comer at a more reasonable price... someone who is willing to try NZ, much like Webb did when we nabbed him. We have had some success with Queensland players who were not too pricey. Gatis, Luck, Lilyman.

Would love to get a Robbie Mears type player in the team to give Luke some competition, cause when he goes off for a rest our attack becomes very static.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
No 1 priority. Lock up Johnson.
No 2. Big props. (With attitude.)

Yep.
Having Foran and Johnson together long-term was, in hindsight, always a pipe dream.

How many NRL teams have managed to have two world class halves for any meaningful period. Few if any. By the time the 'weaker/younger' one becomes world class - one of them is poached pretty quick for big bucks, such is the demand.

In terms of playing ability, Foran offsets our weak azz forward pack well by his direct running, defence and ball playing. Adds a lot at the moment. Get a meaner, bigger pack together and I am sure Johnson and Ata/Mason or other reasonable half can operate effectively post-Foran.

As long as we hold onto Johnson then 1-year of Foran should be a great result.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Bravo Canterbury. Their cap manipul... I mean management must be world class. Woods and Foran in, evidently they have found a way to keep Graham too. The rich get richer.

As much as it's been great to have Kieran, the Warriors need to be careful. The Tigers now have significant coin to spend, and Shaun and Ben are very close to Ivan. This could all backfire spectacularly and the risk is we implode into another Newcastle.

This thought has crossed my mind often in the last month (re Newcastle). RTS won't stick around either, he won't ride a sinking ship when he can chase the ABs. No ability to develop props, an unproven NRL coach, a CEO who says he'll leave if we miss the 8 and all the other glaring holes. This could get a lot worse.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Re Foran, it's such a complex one. We know he's going, the draw to family is too much. Was it worth a year? Yeah, I think so. Already in 3 games shown us a hard edge and something for not only Ata and Mason to base themselves, but the team as a whole. Makes us a better side and Kieran Foran for one year is better than not at all, it's only our lack of forward punch and ability out wide that will probably ultimately keep him out of finals for us. As long as Ata re-signs, I don't think a year in ressies hurts him at his age.

I think it was just Kearney blabbing out that they signed him for personal reasons first that muddied the waters (geez SK is an awful media performer).

One interesting point will be if we're out of finals contention let's say by round 21, whether Kieran is let go and Ata comes in. You'd hope so.

Blair

Coach
This thought has crossed my mind often in the last month (re Newcastle). RTS won't stick around either, he won't ride a sinking ship when he can chase the ABs. No ability to develop props, an unproven NRL coach, a CEO who says he'll leave if we miss the 8 and all the other glaring holes. This could get a lot worse.

But is that scenario the (long awaited) chance to completely rebuild the club culture?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
But is that scenario the (long awaited) chance to completely rebuild the club culture?

It would be a bitter pill to swallow as a fan, personally.

And I doubt SK is the guy to do it. We've consistently shown our system lets talent slip through the cracks, so unless we've got someone at the helm like Ivan (sucks he wasn't available huh?) or a master coach/rebuilder, you probably tread water. Kearney is on a three-year deal? He probably gets until then to make it his team. If he fails, we're eight years out of finals, no one wants to touch us etc. I know that's worst case scenario but honestly, it feels possible. There's just bugger all good staff at our club.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
props are number 1 priority otherwise our halves dont have much to work with.
we also need to create some depth as our bench is where we fall down. Spend overs on a prime prop and then try and get a Queensland Cup up and comer at a more reasonable price... someone who is willing to try NZ, much like Webb did when we nabbed him. We have had some success with Queensland players who were not too pricey. Gatis, Luck, Lilyman.

Would love to get a Robbie Mears type player in the team to give Luke some competition, cause when he goes off for a rest our attack becomes very static.

Spot on with the talk about needing forwards, especially if the talk of matulino leaving is on the money

No point having a world class spine with a pop gun pack. There is absolutely no fear factor at all in the warriors forwards, no X factor player that is going to bend the line and get an offload away, just all tradesman players at the moment