What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

mxlegend99

Referee
As I said on an other thread. He's a talented footballer, who at times tends to suffer from ego-head-itis.

At times tonight he looked he like was playing whilst under the influence. All over the place like a rookie player whose found a cut snake in his kit bag.

When the pressure and the game was on the line, he fell to pieces.
Moylan played the same way most of our team did last week. Good for ~50 minutes. Bad for ~30 minutes although while good he still forced 2 drop outs. Setup a try and almost had a second till Dugan butchered it on him.

That second half of footy was ridiculously bad by both teams. Moylan had a mixed bag. A dropped kick off is only enough to ruin a season when it's done in golden point of a grand final. He was out there having a crack on every play. Which is more than some of his teammates can say.

I think he gets a 6/10 for that. 7/10 first half. 5/10 second half.

franklin2323

Immortal
Moylan what an absolute bum.

How about the stinker off the kick off? Good way to use the sin bin time Matty.

The bombed try was worse. Down by 4 line wide open and tries to catch it one handed..

Undid all the good work in the 1st half with that

tripster

Juniors
How the f**k could anyone get two hands to that pass?

Agree. I think the mistake Moylan made there was trying to put a hand on it at all. He was never going to catch it.

If he let it go, then in all likelihood it went to a team mate behind him, who might have had a chance at the time themselves, or that team mate could have then spread it wide.

OldPanther

Coach
The bombed try was worse. Down by 4 line wide open and tries to catch it one handed..

Undid all the good work in the 1st half with that

Nah he did all he could. It looked more like an instinctive grab for the ball. No way he gets two hands to it. Probably better to leave it as tripster said.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nah he did all he could. It looked more like an instinctive grab for the ball. No way he gets two hands to it. Probably better to leave it as tripster said.

Either way. Cost his side a try that puts them infront. He always goes for the big play it looks great when it comes off. Not so when it doesn't

OldPanther

Coach
Maybe so but how often do you see JT or the top tier halves make such basic errors?

I'm going to say they all do. It's a by-product of trying to create. I'd rather have a Matt Moylan who will give an error or 2 along with a bunch of repeat sets and try assists than a half who is doing neither.

mxlegend99

Referee
Either way. Cost his side a try that puts them infront. He always goes for the big play it looks great when it comes off. Not so when it doesn't
How is trying to catch an offload a big play?

It's instinct ffs. You would be bagging him out if he made no attempt at it.

It was a tough one to bring in. But it was catchable.

mxlegend99

Referee
Maybe so but how often do you see JT or the top tier halves make such basic errors?
Maloney made basic errors lsst week. Or is he not top tier? Hunt dropped a kick off in a granf final. Or is he not top tier?

What player in any position wouldnt try and catch that offload? For mine it's 50/50 on a player catching or dropping it. Regardless of who or what position.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm going to say they all do. It's a by-product of trying to create. I'd rather have a Matt Moylan who will give an error or 2 along with a bunch of repeat sets and try assists than a half who is doing neither.

That is where we differ. I'd rather have a team full of consistent players than what you mention above. Footy IQ over flair for me

mxlegend99

Referee
Mx if you weren't captain of the Moylan fan club you would see it as a wasted chance as it was
And if you weren't a Moylan hater you wouldnt be bagging him for every tiny mistake.

Edwards made a couple last week. No one bagged him because he was good otherwise. Maloney made an error. Contributed far less than Moylan did. Again no one was bagging him.

If a player makes mistakes and does nothing that makes up for them. They deserve to cop it. But if a player does bith good and bad. Its f**king stupid to focus only on the bag and shit talk him

OldPanther

Coach
That is where we differ. I'd rather have a team full of consistent players than what you mention above. Footy IQ over flair for me

If we're talking about the entire 1 - 17 my preference would be a mix of both. 1 or 2 "Moylan/Maloney" types in a team is necessary. Yes they are the same category of player.

Usually you'll want to partner them with a calm steady game manager.

Pearce/Maloney
Chad/Maloney
Cleary/Maloney
Green/DCE
Morgan/JT
Cronk/Munster
Cronk/JT

Mx if you weren't captain of the Moylan fan club you would see it as a wasted chance as it was

It was a missed opportunity for sure but we had a lot last week as well including from Maloney who is one of the best halves in the game and The Big Dill who was one of our best on the day overall.

If not for Moylan they aren't in it. I'd say Dugan bombing a certain try from a Moylan try assist is worse.

mxlegend99

Referee
Consistent? We have like 4 players who tick that box.

If we're talking about the entire 1 - 17 my preference would be a mix of both. 1 or 2 "Moylan/Maloney" types in a team is necessary. Yes they are the same category of player.

Usually you'll want to partner them with a calm steady game manager.

Pearce/Maloney
Chad/Maloney
Cleary/Maloney
Green/DCE
Morgan/JT
Cronk/Munster
Cronk/JT

It was a missed opportunity for sure but we had a lot last week as well including from Maloney who is one of the best halves in the game and The Big Dill who was one of our best on the day overall.

If not for Moylan they aren't in it. I'd say Dugan bombing a certain try from a Moylan try assist is worse.
Yep. Moylan created an opportunity. Dugan bombed it.

Honestly Moylan wasn't perfect. But he wasnt that bad either. But hey two errors apparently undo a try assist and 2 drop outs and creating momentum with quick plays and pushing around trying to be on the ball often.

OldPanther

Coach
Consistent? We have like 4 players who tick that box.

Yep. Moylan created an opportunity. Dugan bombed it.

Honestly Moylan wasn't perfect. But he wasnt that bad either. But hey two errors apparently undo a try assist and 2 drop outs and creating momentum with quick plays and pushing around trying to be on the ball often.

Yep. He also saved his team with quick thinking when he stole the ball from his own player and dove out of the goal area preventing a drop out and possession for the Dragons in perfect field position.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep. He also saved his team with quick thinking when he stole the ball from his own player and dove out of the goal area preventing a drop out and possession for the Dragons in perfect field position.
Yeah that was an awesome heads up play. He forces 2 drop outs and saves a certain drop out for his team. That's 3 extra sets he earned his team.

But hey he didnt catch an offload that went behind him. That dropped kick off was terrible. That happens like 1 in 100 times to NRL players. But deadset. His try assist to Feki was f**king brilliant. And he should have had another but Dugan bombed it.