What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France

So to qualify for a quarter final France "only" have to beat Lebanon.

Big first round match up for them as you cant see them beating Australia or England but should they beat Lebanon they can then use the subsequent matches to build towards a good showing in a quarter final.

Outside of England a strong French campaign is probably the best strategic result for the game but it's hard to see them doing anything other than disappointing. They've had few games recently and going back to their last flourish in 2016 they were hammered by the poms and were inconsistent against the likes of Wales and Scotland. Catalans were disappointing this year too so not a lot of hope.

Predictions?

JasonE

Bench
I was looking forward to seeing how Gadwin Springer got on in our conditions but now he has pulled out, with all their injuries I'm really disappointed with the French squad and can't see them winning a match.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think France will beat Lebanon fairly comfortably and give their QF a decent shake.

adamkungl

Immortal
You reckon? Farah/Mannah/Moses/Lichaa is enough to build a squad around.

Majority rest of their squad is pretty much NSW Cup quality, France will likely have 11-12 regular SL players in their 17. Maybe it's blind hope but I think they'll surprise.

hutch

First Grade
I was looking forward to seeing how Gadwin Springer got on in our conditions but now he has pulled out, with all their injuries I'm really disappointed with the French squad and can't see them winning a match.

Why did he pull out? Did he play in the gf on the weekend?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why did he pull out? Did he play in the gf on the weekend?
He was on the field warming up before the GF but didn't play. He's been struggling with a groin injury for a while and the French press release said Cas doctors have told him to take the month off to heal up.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Majority rest of their squad is pretty much NSW Cup quality, France will likely have 11-12 regular SL players in their 17. Maybe it's blind hope but I think they'll surprise.
Mate the superleague isn't great lol, nsw cup teams would push them. France won't win a game, I hope I'm wrong.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Just to add a bit of spice, all RLWC2017 quarter-finalists will automatically qualify for RLWC2021, so the winner of this game will likely make the Q/F and get the big entry into RLWC2021 … should be a cracker of a match !

Ari Gold

Bench
They're the one international team that is always understrength, hopefully Fagas and Albert can take their games to a new level.

Coastbloke

Bench
So frustrating watching France continuously underperform given what they were capable of in the 50s and 60s.

They had a good chance to show their wares in this WC but the loss of Escare, Casty and Gigot will prove too much. They still should beat Lebanon. Knowing France they won't make it a comfortable win..lol

Still, hopefully with the trend of French players joining other ESL clubs, it won't be too long (sigh) before France start troubling the Tier 1 nations..

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
So frustrating watching France continuously underperform given what they were capable of in the 50s and 60s.

They had a good chance to show their wares in this WC but the loss of Escare, Casty and Gigot will prove too much. They still should beat Lebanon. Knowing France they won't make it a comfortable win..lol

Still, hopefully with the trend of French players joining other ESL clubs, it won't be too long (sigh) before France start troubling the Tier 1 nations..
France are along way off troubling anyone, they haven't prejudiced any nrl players. Maybe they need to find a way to raid unions stock pile of players.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
The two super league teams beat Cronulla and Brisbane earlier this year.
Those teams were in preseason and also travelled to England for a week, the superleague clubs were well into the season. I agree maybe the top 5 clubs or so would beat qld cup and nsw teams, but the bottom few superleague teams would struggle

Last Week

Bench
It's a bit of a toss up sort of match. It feels like it could go either way. The French should win, as Adam said they have enough professionals in the squad to so it.

If they play their best, they should belt Lebanon.

Latest posts