What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Without the romanticism leichardt on Sunday got 12k

It was not sold out .. no where near it

17-18k looks good there and pumping

12k why bother ..

beave

Coach
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...e/news-story/ac9684fe5ce166f78a23d6926fb98576

0fabf3d10a98dfe267b34bd43424d857

North Queensland Stadium construction to start
DOMANII CAMERON, Townsville Bulletin
August 17, 2017 7:00am
AFTER more than five years of campaigning, Townsville will today welcome the start of construction on the city’s new $250 million stadium.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, local MPs, federal Assistant Minister for Cities Angus Taylor, Mayor Jenny Hill and fellow dignitaries will turn the first sod at the stadium site this morning.

Local businesses have already been engaged to undertake works, including Budd Photography which is creating a timelapse recording throughout the project’s 2½-year construction period.

Ms Palaszczuk said the stadium represented an enormous opportunity for jobs.

“The Townsville stadium will provide a new home for the Cowboys and draw visitors and businesses to a new sporting, cultural and entertainment precinct on the southern edge of the CBD,” she said.

“I look forward to the day when I can gaze down from Castle Hill on that transformation and all the vibrancy it will bring to Townsville.”

Stadiums Queensland board member Rabieh Krayem said, as someone who was involved in the building of 1300SMILES Stadium 24 years ago, today was a momentous occasion. “We know the impact that stadium had,” he said.

“It’s a great moment and a long time coming.”

Assistant Minister for Cities Angus Taylor said momentum was building around job opportunities at the stadium.
“Already we have five trade packages that have been awarded to local companies and many more will come,” he said. “In Townsville (today) I’m exploring with business and community leaders how we can get more local projects off the ground.

“Fundamentally, the City Deal is a commitment to deliver more investment in local infrastructure, more contracts for local businesses and more jobs for local people.”

Minister Assisting the Premier on North Queensland Coralee O’Rourke said North Queenslanders were passionate people. “This is what I love about Townsville, the passion people have for their sport and community,” she said.

“I’m really excited to see work on this amazing piece of infrastructure commence as it means growth for our economy with local companies and small businesses supported throughout the process. “I truly believe our community deserves to have the finest events and precincts at their doorstep.”

Jamberoo

Juniors
Oh yes, I can see it now, the Waratahs, Swans, Sydney FC and Roosters all trying to use the ground on the same weekend. No logistical problems there at all :rolleyes:

Also as someone who has watched plenty of rugby league games at the SCG, the other reason I wouldn't want the Roosters or any other RL side playing out of the SCG is that when used for rugby league, the SCG is absolutely manure to view the actual game. You are a lot further away from the field, and you are on oblique angles to the game.
Soccer is played in summer. I think the ground could cope with 31 games over 26 winter season weeks.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Most suburban grounds should be used sparingly, the nostalgic factor will soon drop away otherwise.
Correct. I quite liked the vibe at Olympic Park for Storm games but my young son thought it was a joke compared to the MCG.
NRL need to make a choice whether they want to be a suburban sport in Sydney or try to compete with SCG and Spotless which are better than any rectangular stadiums in NSW. Don't tell me the game day experience is not a huge factor in the growth of Swans attendances.

Correct. I quite liked the vibe at Olympic Park for Storm games but my young son thought it was a joke compared to the MCG.
NRL need to make a choice whether they want to be a suburban sport in Sydney or try to compete with SCG and Spotless which are better than any rectangular stadiums in NSW. Don't tell me the game day experience is not a huge factor in the growth of Swans attendances.

To be fair I think that choice has pretty much been made.

With Parramatta, ANZ & Allianz to be upgraded these venues will host 80% of the matches for teams that are based relatively close to them.

Penrith, Cronulla & Manly are simply too far away or it's too difficult to get to those stadiums.

Ideally we'd see a 30k seat stadium built in southern Sydney for Cronulla & Dragons to use, and possibly a 20k seater for Manly on the beaches.

Timbo

Staff member
The ACT Government still sticking to its tired line that a new stadium would need three tenants to be commercially viable.

It makes me furious when stadiums like the Townsville one show it not to be true.

Vee

First Grade
The ACT Government still sticking to its tired line that a new stadium would need three tenants to be commercially viable.

It makes me furious when stadiums like the Townsville one show it not to be true.
Are they just trying to pressure the A-League into giving them a Canberra side or are they genuine about three teams required to pay for it?

azza29

Juniors
I'm definitely curious about the business case for that stadium. 12 generally well-attended Cowboys games a year, plus a final or two... what else will it be used for?

As far as Canberra goes, given the Brumbies only play 7-8 home games a year (<10k crowds) it's not surprising they would be looking for a third tenant to make a new stadium viable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see Cowboys fans getting somewhere decent to watch their team. Well done Qland on supporting NRL clubs to have somewhere decent to play.

What happened with the Manly idea of developing around the ground to pay for a new stadium? The local Claremont AFL team in Perth have done that very successfully and paid for all their upgrades to the ground via apartments around the outside. Maybe Cronulla could do the same, oh hang on....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are they just trying to pressure the A-League into giving them a Canberra side or are they genuine about three teams required to pay for it?

the $125mill nib upgrade was based on financial modelling of anchor three tenants, Force, Glory and eventually pirates. That's not worked out so well for the WA Govt, no wonder a much smaller ACT gov is cautious.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm definitely curious about the business case for that stadium. 12 generally well-attended Cowboys games a year, plus a final or two... what else will it be used for?.

International matches across league, union and soccer. I'm guessing that's one of the big appeals as that can bring in a lot of tourism dollars.

Latest posts