What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

As I said........each to their own.
I'm not going to argue about it.
My opinion is that it isn't disrespectful.

It's not an argument, it's a discussion.

The question is, why do they cover the names on the stands? Especially given this isn't something that's done at other grounds.

You can be disrespectful without meaning to be disrespectful.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not an argument, it's a discussion.

The question is, why do they cover the names on the stands? Especially given this isn't something that's done at other grounds.

You can be disrespectful without meaning to be disrespectful.

They are both tenants in a govt owned stadium. It's a good idea to mke it feel like home for any club renting it.

They are both tenants in a govt owned stadium. It's a good idea to mke it feel like home for any club renting it.

Virtually every stadium in Australia is government owned. Can you name another that covers up stand names?

If it's such a good idea why don't others do it?

As I said, paint the stadium black & red for their matches, just leave the stand names.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you say cover them do you mean just blank or do they cover the top of them with something relating to promoting themselves?

Vee

First Grade
Turn it red & black for sure but don't cover up a stand names & statues.

Ray Price is an Australian sporting legend, he deserves much more respect than that. As does Cronin & Thornett.

The swans don't cover up the Clive Churchill or Messenger stands. Just like Price they're sporting legends and no one would dare do it.

Sydney FC don't cover up the statues outside the SFS.

Reckon Brisbane roar would dare cover up the statue of Wally? Not on your life.

Lack of class changing names & covering statues.
No, they're Parra legends, not comparable to Churchill and Messenger. Get back in your box.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see why, for tv it is making it a point it's their home. Can see why it would be seen as disrespectful by eels fan though. Then again this is soccer which has no moral basis so I'm sure they haven't even considered it.

I can see why, for tv it is making it a point it's their home. Can see why it would be seen as disrespectful by eels fan though. Then again this is soccer which has no moral basis so I'm sure they haven't even considered it.

So why don't others do it?

Up until this point every other club in every other sport was ok with it.

Bukowski

Juniors
Given it's on the same patch of dirt, I think they should.

However knowing how bullish the wanderers are I doubt that will happen.
It will be interesting. In 86 it was built just for Parra, but now it's built for two clubs/codes as fulltime tenants. No doubt the govt want more fulltime tenants, they may want it to be 'clean'.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

First Grade
Or because they have some common decency.

Create your own history before you cover up someone else's.

It's a small issue to be sure, but I think it speaks to their mindset.
I understand your angst, I just think I would do the same if I was hiring the ground from the state government.

It will be interesting. In 86 it was built just for Parra, but now it's built for two clubs/codes as fulltime tenants. No doubt the govt want more fulltime tenants, they may want it to be 'clean'.

When the noble & Brandman stands were knocked down there was a movement to rename the Noble stand in particular. Cooler heads prevailed & tradition remained. And the swans had significant history.

Vee

First Grade
Bradman and Noble transcend their sport and history. Even the AwFuL wouldn't be that arrogant to suggest a change.

Bradman and Noble transcend their sport and history. Even the AwFuL wouldn't be that arrogant to suggest a change.

Not to Bradman but Noble is a name long forgotten by most. Not sure he really transcends the sport.

But there were suggestions about changing it the noble stand.