What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
That is more what I was getting at. For the regular season, I did not see why the 4pm Sunday time slot should be exclusively at ANZ.
If you wanted to lock Sydney in to a perm schedule

You could nearly organise every Sunday at ANZ

Either 2pm or 4pm

Every Saturday at Allianz

Either 3,5,7 pm

Every Friday at WSS

6pm or 8pm

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So Melbourne can only ever play games on a Thursday? You'd be killing the game in an expansion area. Every now and then a Thursday night is do-able, but if that is the only choice people will eventually just stop going.

Why should the rest of the competition have to bend over backwards to try and find a way for Sydneysiders to get off their couches... All you would be doing is making the "National" part of NRL even more of a joke

This year, 23 out of 25 rounds had a Sunday afternoon game in Sydney. Over all, 29 sunday arvo games were played in sydney.

Out of th 25 rounds, only 6 didnt have at least one game at ANZ (and every one of those rounds either had a game at Allianz or an ANZ tennant choosing to play at a suburban/region ground) and we had 33 games at ANZ.

ANZ already has enough content and Sydney already claims enough Sunday arvo slots to make this happen. All we need to do is swap the Sunday games at sububan grounds with the ANZ games.

Non-Syndey clubs would not suffer one f*ckin bit from this Sydney Sundays events

greenBV4

Bench
Non-Syndey clubs would not suffer one f*ckin bit from this Sydney Sundays events
If you read what I posted later you would know Im on board with the 4pm Sunday game being a ANZ (or whatever) game every week, just not the set schedule for every match (like the post I was quoting) and giving Sydney stadiums the best time slots every week

siv

First Grade
If people are grumbling about schedules

Play 2 games at 2pm Sunday

Play 2 games at 4pm Sunday

Play 2 games at 8pm Saturday

You can't play 24 rounds in NZ at 6pm only 12 until you get 2 teams across the ditch

beave

Coach
There’s a problem with playing games simultaneously that I don’t think has been spoke about in LU from memory (happy to be corrected)

The Bunker.

If they persist with the current model where one single idiot is in charge of the calls, you could get decisions backing up from multiple games. Say contentious trys are sent to the bunker from 2 games at the same time, the wait time for the 2nd call to be made will piss everyone off.

Don’t get me wrong, there needs to be schedule changes but having concurrent games going on may be shitful under the current bunker model. Keep the Thursday game as a token gesture but this 6pm friday game has to go.

unforgiven

Bench
There’s a problem with playing games simultaneously that I don’t think has been spoke about in LU from memory (happy to be corrected)

The Bunker.

If they persist with the current model where one single idiot is in charge of the calls, you could get decisions backing up from multiple games. Say contentious trys are sent to the bunker from 2 games at the same time, the wait time for the 2nd call to be made will piss everyone off.

Don’t get me wrong, there needs to be schedule changes but having concurrent games going on may be shitful under the current bunker model. Keep the Thursday game as a token gesture but this 6pm friday game has to go.
The NFL has many more games running at the same time and they use a similar system to the Bunker and are able to make it work.

unforgiven

Bench
Eh????

The onfield refs come over to a booth and review the play in question.
You don't watch much NFL?

That no longer is the case, the on field official views the replay on a tablet and consults with the GameDay Central review booth in New York but the final decision rests with Alberto Riveron, the Senior Vice President of Officiating in the NFL, or another senior designated member of the officiating department.

beave

Coach
You don't watch much NFL?

That no longer is the case, the on field official views the replay on a tablet and consults with the GameDay Central review booth in New York but the final decision rests with Alberto Riveron, the Senior Vice President of Officiating in the NFL, or another senior designated member of the officiating department.

Well there you go. Happy to be corrected.

I actually watched heaps of NFL over the last 20 years, last year I missed most of thr season due to working abroad.

unforgiven

Bench
Well there you go. Happy to be corrected.

I actually watched heaps of NFL over the last 20 years, last year I missed most of thr season due to working abroad.

No worries, they have used the GameDay Central to review decisions since 2014 and is what our bunker is based on. Until last year the referee consulted with New York and made their decision but last year that moved to the New York making the final call.

beave

Coach
No worries, they have used the GameDay Central to review decisions since 2014 and is what our bunker is based on. Until last year the referee consulted with New York and made their decision but last year that moved to the New York making the final call.

What sets us apart though from the NFL is that the fans over there are used to stoppages in play and accept it as part of the game. League fans are not inclined and want the game to flow/minimal breaks.

The fan outcry as reviews ‘back up’ in the bunker from simultaneous decisions required to be made will cause an implosion in the NRL regular and social media.

unforgiven

Bench
What sets us apart though from the NFL is that the fans over there are used to stoppages in play and accept it as part of the game. League fans are not inclined and want the game to flow/minimal breaks.

The fan outcry as reviews ‘back up’ in the bunker from simultaneous decisions required to be made will cause an implosion in the NRL regular and social media.
We are so far off topic lol, but that is a very valid point, in 2016 NFL reviews averaged 2.26 mins for each review and the NRL was 1.04 mins. So that is a big difference already.

greenBV4

Bench

Would it be so hard to hire another guy to sit in a different bunker when 2 games are on?

macavity

Referee
So a simple scheduling plan could be arranged as

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane
Fri 6pm - Auckland / Newcastle
Fri 8pm - SFS / Brookvale
Sat 5:30 - Canberra / Wollongong
Sat 7:30 - Endeavour / Townsville
Sun 2:00 - WSS / Penrith
Sun 4:00 - ANZ

Sunday 2pm = Newcastle

:|

johnny plath

Juniors
So a simple scheduling plan could be arranged as

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane
Fri 6pm - Auckland / Newcastle
Fri 8pm - SFS / Brookvale
Sat 5:30 - Canberra / Wollongong
Sat 7:30 - Endeavour / Townsville
Sun 2:00 - WSS / Penrith
Sun 4:00 - ANZ
nothing personal, but f**k that. Do you not think that people who live outside of Sydney would like to be able to attend some live daytime footy now and again. Locking ANZ into the only FTA Sunday footy is bullshit for everyone outside of Sydney.

johnny plath

Juniors
Yeh, pretty much. Obviously share out the burden of the Thursday/Friday games a bit and maybe try to get an extra Sunday 2pm game in is its possible. But yeh, it looks like a fairly decent schedule.

The potential downsides of a permanent ANZ-4pm slot are almost nothing. And while i cant guarantee any result, it definitely wont make crowds worse and could potentially grow into a massive event.
You do realise that half the competition is not based in Sydney. Do you think their fans might like some daylight as well. I get the idea of creating an event at the shithole, but every week just reinforces the Sydney centric views that still exist in the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
nothing personal, but f**k that. Do you not think that people who live outside of Sydney would like to be able to attend some live daytime footy now and again. Locking ANZ into the only FTA Sunday footy is bullshit for everyone outside of Sydney.

Thats not true.

As i said earlier, 23 round this year had Sunday games in Sydney (29 games over all). A weekly Sunday-ANZ game would mean almost nothing to the Non-Sydney clubs.

The only people who would lose are the suburban Sydney team, but they dont really have a right to whinge.If they refuse to work with the ARLC to grow crowds, why should the ARLC waste the best slots on them?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You do realise that half the competition is not based in Sydney. Do you think their fans might like some daylight as well. I get the idea of creating an event at the shithole, but every week just reinforces the Sydney centric views that still exist in the game.

Again, Sydney has almost weekly Sunday games.

Im just saying that the Sunday games that are ALREADY played in Sydney should be given to teams willing to build a weekly event at ANZ.

johnny plath

Juniors
Again, Sydney has almost weekly Sunday games.

Im just saying that the Sunday games that are ALREADY played in Sydney should be given to teams willing to build a weekly event at ANZ.
I get that, but my point is that Sydney shouldn't have a mortgage on the Sunday arvo games, like it already does. A share of Sunday arvos in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberrra, Melbourne, Newcastle would be great for their fans as well, particularly for the kids who are the future fans in the game.