What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Recommendation 3 is going to cause a s**tstorm. I dont see any appetite to move the majority of games to the large venues and with the clubs increase in tevenue fron 2018 i think the club boards will resist any moves away from suburbia strongly.

Parramatta will obvioualy be done but i struggle to see the moore park and homebush part happening regardless of what their plan says. The main obstacles being content, existing crowds, access at moore park and insufficient budget.

The detail is there on the site with timelines: https://sportandrecreation.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Stadia_Strategy_Implementation_Report.pdf

Recommendation 1
Priority 1
Immediate
Construct a new dedicated rectangular stadium in Central Western Sydney with
a capacity of 30,000 seats to host Rugby League, Rugby Union, Football
matches and concerts to replace the existing Parramatta Stadium.
Priority 2
3 to 5 years
Construct Australia’s largest, dedicated world-class rectangular stadium near
the Sydney CBD with a capacity of 55,000 to 60,000 seats to host Rugby
League, Rugby Union, Football matches and concerts in the Moore Park
precinct to replace the existing Sydney Football Stadium.
Priority 3
3 to 5 years
Construct a 15,000 seat indoor sporting arena in or around the Sydney CBD for
major indoor sporting events including tennis, basketball and netball.
With the Sydney Entertainment Centre being demolished in December 2015,
and its replacement in Darling Harbour being a theatre style venue not suitable
for basketball or other sports such as indoor tennis, this closure leaves the
Sydney CBD with no major indoor sports facility.
Priority 4
5 to 8 years
Upgrade Stadium Australia with the installation of a roof to provide Sydney with
Australia’s largest roofed stadium, increasing the opportunity for content in
Sydney’s largest stadium. Consider constructing retractable seating in the
lower bowl to allow for rectangular sports.
Priority 5
10 to 15
years
Construct a new dedicated rectangular stadium in Greater Western Sydney
with a capacity of 30,000 depending on present and forecast sporting and
event requirements.

Diesel

Referee
It's f**king stupid that Sydney is a RL city first, has strong links to RU and soccer which all play on a rectangle field, only has 1 major stadiums that is configured for a rectangle field (SFS) and one that is multi purpose (ANZ) causing poor supporter experience yet the AFL manage to get an upgrade at the Showgrounds, SCG and ANZ configured for their use. What am I missing here other than the NSW taxpayer getting bent over and shafted by their elected representatives and the AFL?

reanimate

Bench
It's f**king stupid that Sydney is a RL city first, has strong links to RU and soccer which all play on a rectangle field, only has 1 major stadiums that is configured for a rectangle field (SFS) and one that is multi purpose (ANZ) causing poor supporter experience yet the AFL manage to get an upgrade at the Showgrounds, SCG and ANZ configured for their use. What am I missing here other than the NSW taxpayer getting bent over and shafted by their elected representatives and the AFL?

You aren't missing anything, that's exactly how it is. The AFL, thanks to their lobbying and friends in high places, have basically stolen all the funding that should have gone to sports that are actually popular in Sydney. They've effectively managed to rob the people of Sydney and NSW.

Diesel

Referee
I don't think it's more fool to the people of Sydney, most of the voters wouldn't know who is in bed with the AFL, I think it's shame on the AFL and someone needs to call them out on it

Last Week

Bench
Has nothing to do with ANZ or the Blacktown stadium, but I feel the SCG trust is too powerful and neglected the SFS way too much in favour of the SCG.

I'd love to see the comparison of money put into the SFS and the SCG since the SFS was built.

Pommy

Coach
They need to f**k the SFS off as abad job its never going to have the public transport it needs. Build a 40,000seater rectangular stadium somewhere useful and hopefully get a host of NRL clubs onboard and then we won't need to have the ANZ with an embarrassing 14,000 attendance anymore.

t-ba

Post Whore
I think it was a big shame that the stadium wasn't built into the Darling Harbour Redevelopment in the 1980s.

beave

Coach
Wentworth Park? Not sure if the area around it is big enough though to allow for a decent sized stadium. I remember going there as a kid and thinking 'this would be a good spot for a footy stadium'. Youthful ignorance I guess???

TheRam

Coach
Wentworth Park? Not sure if the area around it is big enough though to allow for a decent sized stadium. I remember going there as a kid and thinking 'this would be a good spot for a footy stadium'. Youthful ignorance I guess???

Prince Alfred Park Central Sydney. I've been banging on about it forever. It is the most perfect place for a stadium in Sydney.

Guaranteed minimum 20k per game, easy.

morley101

Juniors
They need to f**k the SFS off as abad job its never going to have the public transport it needs. Build a 40,000seater rectangular stadium somewhere useful and hopefully get a host of NRL clubs onboard and then we won't need to have the ANZ with an embarrassing 14,000 attendance anymore.

There will be rectangular field at Moore Park end of story. Do you think Cricket is going to move from the SCG in the next 100 years? The gov't is building a light rail thru Moore Park for no reason...

There is still no detailed design for the 30,000 Parramatta stadium yet and no date for the commencement for the work to begin.

Prince Alfred Park Central Sydney. I've been banging on about it forever. It is the most perfect place for a stadium in Sydney.

Guaranteed minimum 20k per game, easy.

Too much sense.

Unfortunately City of Sydney council wouldn't have a bar of it

There will be rectangular field at Moore Park end of story. Do you think Cricket is going to move from the SCG in the next 100 years? The gov't is building a light rail thru Moore Park for no reason...

There is still no detailed design for the 30,000 Parramatta stadium yet and no date for the commencement for the work to begin.

The light rail has very little to do with the stadiums. Its about serving south-east commuters. That it goes through Moore Park is just s convenient by-product of the logical route.

You're right though. Moore Park is seemingly guaranteed to be the home of a new rectangular stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
From NRL perspective a rebuilt Parra stadium and a G western stadium would have been the best priorities. SFS is ok and the main issue is transport more than stadium design. What Sydney is lacking in is world class 30k rectangular stadia.

The SFS redevelopment smacks of a pssing contest to take the gloss of Suncorp and Brisbane's claim to having the best rectangular stadium in the country.

Pommy

Coach

I get that it will always be that way but that doesn't mean that's the way it should be. Is the light rail actually happening? Or is it just talk? Is it planned to connect at central? Even so it's still not ideal having to change and wait again.
I love Sydney it's my favourite city in the world and there's nowhere I would rather call home but the public transport is bloody awful.

alien

Referee
"Priority 5 (10 to 15 years)
Construct a new dedicated rectangular stadium in Greater Western Sydney
with a capacity of 30,000 depending on present and forecast sporting and
event requirements."

So this will probably be in Penrith???

morley101

Juniors
I get that it will always be that way but that doesn't mean that's the way it should be. Is the light rail actually happening? Or is it just talk? Is it planned to connect at central? Even so it's still not ideal having to change and wait again.
I love Sydney it's my favourite city in the world and there's nowhere I would rather call home but the public transport is bloody awful.

The light rail is coming .
http://www.sydneylightrail.transport.nsw.gov.au/latest/current-works

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

Whilst this is welcome without improved train services its still going to be a second rate system.
Its a guarantee that if you go to Allianz you will wait at least 25 mins at central for a train which is also guaranteed to be all stops and by the time you get to Liverpool you want to throw yourself under the train.
And not because you've arrived in Liverpool before anyway says :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts