What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
It's possible I suppose. But is it needed? As long as two of the three main stadiums are in play, then surely grounds like the SCG, Belmore, Penrith and Spotless could handle any overflow games.

Not as permanent, or even regular venues. Just the occasional game when needed.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Making it a viewer-friendly venue is the main issue being fixed plus talk of adding more bars/restaurants turning it into an entertainment destination will certainly help. We won't have any excuses.

I think the next step would be to build a weekly event, not just for the supporters of teams playing, but for RL fans in general....

Something like "4pm Sunday every week" to create a routine and a tradition that families can base their weekend around; like bringing back that Match Of The Round. (Placing it on the Sunday FTA slot would add to the exposure when it is first introduced and it would make teams want to get involved with the offer of wider exposure for them and their sponsors)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
. just burn down azn staduim and build new rectangular stadium. NRL & NSW Gov spinkling glitter on shit

They basically are. They are just keeping to roofing structure to keep costs down.

so nsw Gov is going to spend 700m+ to move people 5m close to the field.. the top seats will still be far away lol

A brand new stadium wouldnt achieve much more....

bazza

Immortal
It's possible I suppose. But is it needed? As long as two of the three main stadiums are in play, then surely grounds like the SCG, Belmore, Penrith and Spotless could handle any overflow games.

Not as permanent, or even regular venues. Just the occasional game when needed.

If Homebush is out of action for a full season or two and Parra has been finished then it can take some of the overflow
Places like Gosford and Wollongong might get a decent amount of games for a few seasons

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The ARU is fine with ANZ being the premier stadium as they only want to play Bledisloes there, and any potential future World Cup finals. They've already moved all non-Bledisloe internationals back to Moore Park. There will be no objection on their part.

It does pose an interesting question as to where the big matches will be during the re-build. Origin will almost certainly revert to Allianz, but the Grand Final? Suncorp seems obvious - I'm not so sure. The Victorian government has never seen a sporting event that they don't want to steal from another state. If they offer big cash to take the GF to the MCG for a year or two and if they offer to fund a week of festivities like they AFL have then it will be hard for the NRL to say no

If it is out for 2 years, id guess MCG would get at least 1 GF. (and Probably 1 Origin match each year as well). It would be huge for the Storm and RL more generally to get that kind of exposure down there...

If a Perth team was in the comp/entering soon, using the Burswood Stadium (opening 2018) would be an option too. (easier playing a Sunday GF at 5pm earlier than a Wednesday night Origin at 6). It could also be the beginning of the NRL moving the GF out of Sydney regularly; maybe 1 in 5 years or so.

Can anyone tell me if Suncorp was designed to be expanded any further?? I can just see them having problems bidding for the GF with a capacity of only 52k.

Last edited:
The ARU is fine with ANZ being the premier stadium as they only want to play Bledisloes there, and any potential future World Cup finals. They've already moved all non-Bledisloe internationals back to Moore Park. There will be no objection on their part.

British Lions too but that's only every 12yrs

Certainly ARU's preference was for a new 55k seat stadium at Moore Park.

But why wouldn't it be? That's where their fans are.

JonnoM

Juniors
Rugby Union have had 24 games over 65,000 at Homebush,over the past 15 years.
They would still need to use it around 1-2 games per year.

Crowd Year Code Match
109,874 2000 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
107,042 1999 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
90,978 2001 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
84,188 2001 Rugby Union Wallabies v British & Irish Lions
83,702 2013 Rugby Union Wallabies v British & Irish Lions
83,418 2004 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
82,957 2003 Rugby Union RWC: Final - AUS v ENG
82,444 2003 Rugby Union RWC: Semi Final 1
82,346 2003 Rugby Union RWC France vs England
82,309 2005 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
82,096 2003 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
81,350 2003 Rugby Union RWC Aus vs Arg
81,006 1999 Rugby Union Aus vs Eng
80,228 2009 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
80,012 2003 Rugby Union RWC NZ vs Wales
79,542 2002 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
78,974 2003 Rugby Union RWC Fra vs Sco
78,944 2008 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
77,048 2000 Rugby Union Aus vs SA
76,877 2012 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
73,824 2015 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
70,288 2010 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
68,765 2013 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
68,627 2014 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand

I could still see them taking a match V South Africa to ANZ , but SA don't play in Sydney much anymore.

Always Bledisloe & a minor test in Sydney.

Plus if the Waratahs host the final of super rugby it'll be at ANz

Can anyone tell me if Suncorp was designed to be expanded any further?? I can just see them having problems bidding for the GF with a capacity of only 52k.

It was discussed a few pages ago but the suncorp capacity is pretty much set without tearing down a stand and rebuilding.

Qld govt has no money, plus all the money that has been used on the GC for the commonwealth games. It probablt will never happen.

JonnoM

Juniors
The next two question will be
What will the new Parramatta Stadium look like?
What will a redeveloped SFS look like?

Possibly like this render a few years ago?
origin:fatwire.1227570618892

Raiderdave

First Grade
They're not going to do a staged rebuild so minor games could be played?

No
ANZ will be out if action for at least 2 years.
Meaning 2 NRL finals series / grand finals
2 origin series Sydney games played elsewhere.

The new Parramatta stadium begins being built in September this year & should be ready for the 2018 NRL season.
The New ANZ stadium would probably begin being built after the 2018 grand final & be ready for the 2021 season.
Allianz being a staged refurb where it can be still useable while being renovated, can start virtually at any time & really .. if it is going to be used in lieu of ANZ for some origin matches , finals etc
It should be done before 2019.

The next two question will be
What will the new Parramatta Stadium look like?
What will a redeveloped SFS look like?

Possibly like this render a few years ago?
origin:fatwire.1227570618892

I thought the SFS plan was for a permanent roof that covered the whole venue?

You'd think there would be a design for parra by now , hopefully they release that today.

Last edited:
No
ANZ will be out if action for at least 2 years.
Meaning 2 NRL finals series / grand finals
2 origin series Sydney games played elsewhere.

The new Parramatta stadium begins being built in September this year & should be ready for the 2018 NRL season.
The New ANZ stadium would probably begin being built after the 2018 grand final & be ready for the 2021 season.
Allianz being a staged refurb where it can be still useable while being renovated, can start virtually at any time & really .. if it is going to be used in lieu of ANZ for some origin matches , finals etc
It should be done before 2019.

Latest plan is for Allianz to be done last.

JonnoM

Juniors
There has been so much crap said about the SFS redevelopment over the past few years,who knows what is the truth.

Ideally,the SFS should have
-Retractable Roof
-New Lower seating bowl
-New and improved eating facilities
-New and improved corporate suites.
-Improved parking

Raiderdave

First Grade
Actually thinking about it further.
There's no reason why ANZ Mark II .. couldn't be started after the 2017 NRL grand final & be ready for the 2020 Season.

Last edited:

JonnoM

Juniors
Latest plan is for Allianz to be done last.

We may know soon(1.30pm Press conference)

Maybe this...?

Late 2016-Construction of Parramatta Stadium
Late 2017-Redevelopment of ANZ Stadium
2018 -GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2019 -Opening of the New Parramatta Stadium
2019-GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2020-Opening of the New Homebush Stadium
2020-Redevelopment begins at SFS(Stage 1)
2020-GF at the New Homebush Stadium
2022 -Redevelopment begins at SFS (Stage 2)
2024 -Completion of the SFS Redevelopment.

There has been so much crap said about the SFS redevelopment over the past few years,who knows what is the truth.

Ideally,the SFS should have
-Retractable Roof
-New Lower seating bowl
-New and improved eating facilities
-New and improved corporate suites.
-Improved parking

Parking need improving but hopefully not in the $400m budget.

But you can get a lot done for $400m , it should be an excellent stadium once done.

Latest posts