What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I know this is a rugby league forum etc, but that pool is pretty, pretty good. Maybe even heritage listed parts of it?

The city to the lake plan that included the Civic stadium called for a new pool to be built near the West basin of Lake Burely Griffin. I don't think the pool is heritage listed but it obviously has some heritage value.

cooko

Juniors
Been living in Canberra for 18 months now. Isn’t the real issue the location, rather than the cost? Civic Pool is where it would be built right?

I know this is a rugby league forum etc, but that pool is pretty, pretty good. Maybe even heritage listed parts of it?

I really wouldn’t want to build the stadium anywhere else because Civic makes so much sense. Kinda like what they have done up in Townsville for the Cowboys. The ‘vibe’ and economic benefits of game day would be immense.
When the Canberra city stadium issue was first raised the pool conveniently developed a leak that the ACT government said could not be constantly repaired. The leak seems to have been plugged recently but you never know what the government may find once they’ve paid out all the Mr Fluffy mess.

adamkungl

Immortal
It would definitely entice me to go to a footy game for the very first time ever in the Capitol city. Have never ever felt the need or inclination to go there for a footy game. Just looks like any other crappy NRL suburban ground at the moment. Not much to offer as protection from the elements and cold in particular and average game day experience. You build a quality(warm) Stadium in the city of Canberra and I'm there with bells on. Well my Parra jersey on anyway.

I went to some World Cup games there and it's actually quite a nice stadium, on a pleasant spring day.

But the facilities are poor (a 45 minute wait for a beer and the crowd was sub 10k)
it's in the middle of nowhere
and it would be f**ked if there was any kind of weather happening, which being Canberra is basically guaranteed

Quicksilver

Bench
It would definitely entice me to go to a footy game for the very first time ever in the Capitol city. Have never ever felt the need or inclination to go there for a footy game. Just looks like any other crappy NRL suburban ground at the moment. Not much to offer as protection from the elements and cold in particular and average game day experience. You build a quality(warm) Stadium in the city of Canberra and I'm there with bells on. Well my Parra jersey on anyway.

If it's not raining the warmest place is in the sun.

siv

First Grade
Been living in Canberra for 18 months now. Isn’t the real issue the location, rather than the cost? Civic Pool is where it would be built right?

I really wouldn’t want to build the stadium anywhere else because Civic makes so much sense. Kinda like what they have done up in Townsville for the Cowboys. The ‘vibe’ and economic benefits of game day would be immense.

Maybe they should extend their city tram line to the AIS

Rooster8

Juniors
Fk all I see in Canberra via Google Maps is ovals and fields, and yet Raiders fans have to travel out of the city to attend a game. Ideally, partnering with the RMC or a centrally located university to create a large shared training facility and stadium would be good.

GAZF

First Grade
Fk all I see in Canberra via Google Maps is ovals and fields, and yet Raiders fans have to travel out of the city to attend a game. Ideally, partnering with the RMC or a centrally located university to create a large shared training facility and stadium would be good.
The open space that you drive past to get anywhere down there is astounding. Bureaucracy can be a shit of a thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canberra stadium has now fallen behind and needs to be planned or a new one in next 5 years. Canberra people need to make this an issue and get a media campaign going, only way to get pollies to do anything. Hopefully winning the premiership will give them a platform to start the conversation.

Rooster8

Juniors
Canberra stadium has now fallen behind and needs to be planned or a new one in next 5 years. Canberra people need to make this an issue and get a media campaign going, only way to get pollies to do anything. Hopefully winning the premiership will give them a platform to start the conversation.
Look at all that wasted green grass ontop of Parliament house

TheRam

Coach
I hope this is one of V'lanys highest agenda items to sort out. Stadiums for the game. Where and what type?

Canberra, 30-35K with roof in the city should be his objective. Manly and finding a centrally located ground by a train line(station) for a Parra style stadium to include and service ALL of the North Shore a must if we ever want to capture the attention and hearts of most of the kids and others North of the bridge.

And in a perfect world finding a ground in the south of Sydney, that again is on the train line for a Cronulla/Staints joint Stadium use would be the go.

If he could pull these 3 Stadium options off, he would be in my mind the first leader since the Super League war that has a clue and is actually competent. Just with these 3 new stadiums the ones that are already allocated to be built and the ones we already have, the game will go gang busters in regards to attendances.

Even if he did nothing else, he would have improved the game 100% perception wise to both sponsors and the general public at large and therefore increasing its stocks on and off the field in all areas. Full stadiums is where it's at. This is where it started for the AFL and why it has been able to achieve all the success that it has to date by spring boarding off the back of full stadiums and great game day experience for all its attendees unlike any other sport in the country.

When you have big crowds at games it builds the game up on so many levels which would include the all important media. I believe they would see the game differently and then join in and become allies not adversaries. Everyone would see the game as positive and prestigious, not struggling to keep its fans let alone grow them by any significant numbers. Its image restored as an all inclusive and well liked sport that is richly embedded within our very culture on a weekly basis and on a massive scale. I have been on about this since I was a young boy going out to suburban grounds and that soulless SCG and wishing that we had larger crowds and a better atmosphere.

I always felt, when sitting on a half empty hill or grandstand that we were a poorly like sport by the wider community out there and other then those handful of games a year where there would be large crowds that would fill a ground close to its capacity, the visuals, atmosphere and overall game day experience were generally very poor from an event point of view. If we want the game to thrive, then this is where we need to focus a heap of attention. Make the game look BIG and the rest will follow.

adamkungl

Immortal
Leaving aside whether it is actually good for the competition to focus significant investment on retaining 9 Sydney clubs (a debate for another thread) ...

Convincing a state government to invest the likely required $50M+ each on the existing suburban grounds (single tenant facilities) to get them up to scratch would be a miracle.

The suggestion above, building 2 or 3 new stadiums ($400M each?) in the suburbs is an even bigger stretch.

It's a nice wish but I can't see any sports body in Sydney ever pulling this off, or any State government being desperate enough to gamble on it

bazza

Immortal

Parra lost their pool with the new stadium

TheRam

Coach
Leaving aside whether it is actually good for the competition to focus significant investment on retaining 9 Sydney clubs (a debate for another thread) ...

Convincing a state government to invest the likely required $50M+ each on the existing suburban grounds (single tenant facilities) to get them up to scratch would be a miracle.

The suggestion above, building 2 or 3 new stadiums ($400M each?) in the suburbs is an even bigger stretch.

It's a nice wish but I can't see any sports body in Sydney ever pulling this off, or any State government being desperate enough to gamble on it

Well Canberra is a no brainer and shouldn't be that hard if the guy is as good at negotiations as they say he is. Then there is the whole North Shore. It shouldn't be that hard to point out and then work on persuading any Gov that there isn't one decent stadium anywhere North of the Harbour of Sydney and that the people of the North deserve to be treated as fairly and equitably as all the other people of Sydney.

Make it a PR exercise and nightmare if you have to, for the Gov to deal with. Get to the right people within Gov and court, leverage, bribe like the AFL do. If we have the right man in charge then it is possible. Why shouldn't a couple of million people on the North Shore enjoy what people South of the city now take for granted? I didn't say it would be easy or even done in a single year or two, but it should be achieved within 3-5 years.

I know we still haven't rebuilt Allianz or Olympic Stadium, yet I am suggesting we lobby for more money for more Stadiums, but yes we should. They are strategic Stadiums that don't exist at present and would cater to a whole new group of people and turn their districts into thriving money making sports communities. These sorts of Stadiums are part of a well planed city's infrastructure and amenities program. They would and do become great public assets that whole communities love and utilise over decades of continual use. I am not talking about 70-90K type Stadiums here, I am referring to 30-40K max that will be used and supported by the populous that surrounds it and by visiting fans and tourists. They generate hype and excitement, especially for a sleepy town like Canberra.

As for Cronulla/Saints, it would be the toughest to get across the line, so if that took 10+ years to get off the ground, sure it would be understandable, but that ultimately should also happen.

bazza

Immortal

Aside from Manly I think the stadium situation should be ok for Sydney once Moore Park and Homebush are done
I would like to see something like

Roosters - most games at new SFS
Souths - most games at new SFS (or Homebush if they want to stay there)
Tigers - At least half at Homebush - split the others between Campbelltown and Leichhart
Dogs - Most at Homebush - 1 or 2 games at Belmore
Parra - BankWest
Saints - Half Wollongong - other half split between Kogarah and new SFS
Penrith - most at Penrith - 1 or 2 games at Bankwest or Homebush
Cronulla - most at Shark Park - 1 or 2 games at new SFS
Manly - most at redeveloped Brookvale - 1 or 2 games at new SFS

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
How about instead of mindless bitching about a useless $20mil hq next to anz stadium, the nrl should focus on getting the state government to build an outer western sydney stadium. You know, the thing that’s literally apart of the Liberals stadium commitment?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
How about instead of mindless bitching about a useless $20mil hq next to anz stadium, the nrl should focus on getting the state government to build an outer western sydney stadium. You know, the thing that’s literally apart of the Liberals stadium commitment?

They have 4 don’t they. BankWest, Campbelltown, Homebush & Penrith