What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
So the purpose of the roof is? To block the sun to improve the broadcast?

As was already pointed out to me, that's actually a stadium in Frankfurt, Germany. It looks very similar to the one in Vancouver - I'm not sure if the Frankfurt one can support water.

In Vancouver I suppose the main thing is that they can close it in winter when it's cold but not raining or snowing to keep some heat in? In summer it'd be to provide shade for spectators.

flippikat

Bench
I wonder if the newly announced Auckland A-league club will put pressure on for a new rectangular stadium build in Auckland?

If I was Warriors CEO/Chairman/Owner, I'd be in touch with them about lobbying for a new build (or at LEAST upgrades) now.

Wb1234

Referee
I wonder if the newly announced Auckland A-league club will put pressure on for a new rectangular stadium build in Auckland?

If I was Warriors CEO/Chairman/Owner, I'd be in touch with them about lobbying for a new build (or at LEAST upgrades) now.

Not if the crowds Wellington get are anything to go by they will be lucky to fill half a stand regularly after the initial hype dies out

flippikat

Bench
Not if the crowds Wellington get are anything to go by they will be lucky to fill half a stand regularly after the initial hype dies out
Fair point, but you never know.. American sports team owners have a track record of pushing for better facilities, even to the point of moving teams if they can't get upgrades or new builds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Auckland A-League team owner picks up on any issues with Mount Smart & starts lobbying for better - regardless of crowds.

Wb1234

Referee
Fair point, but you never know.. American sports team owners have a track record of pushing for better facilities, even to the point of moving teams if they can't get upgrades or new builds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Auckland A-League team owner picks up on any issues with Mount Smart & starts lobbying for better - regardless of crowds.
If they survive the long term maybe but I don’t see an a league side making the difference initially given it’s a minor sport

the crowds may be better then Wellington as the ground is a rectangle but do Māoris even like soccer or are they just entrenched on (both) rugby codes

Bechara Dragon

Juniors
If they survive the long term maybe but I don’t see an a league side making the difference initially given it’s a minor sport

the crowds may be better then Wellington as the ground is a rectangle but do Māoris even like soccer or are they just entrenched on (both) rugby fans
What's bigger in Nz Wally? Soccer or RL?

flippikat

Bench

the crowds may be better then Wellington as the ground is a rectangle but do Māoris even like soccer or are they just entrenched on (both) rugby codes
The key is "strength in numbers".

Sure, the A-league team *in itself* may not have much clout, but if you look at the big picture:

Rugby Union/Rugby League - Winter months

Football/Concerts - Summer months

...with a bit of overlap in spring & autumn, then there's a compelling argument for a new rectangular field & concerts stadium IF all 4 parties (union, league, football & concert promoters) unite and lobby hard.

Wb1234

Referee
The key is "strength in numbers".

Sure, the A-league team *in itself* may not have much clout, but if you look at the big picture:

Rugby Union/Rugby League - Winter months

Football/Concerts - Summer months

...with a bit of overlap in spring & autumn, then there's a compelling argument for a new rectangular field & concerts stadium IF all 4 parties (union, league, football & concert promoters) unite and lobby hard.
I was curious about the Māori and Islanders … those big boys surely wouldn’t be big fans of a sport like soccer ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was curious about the Māori and Islanders … those big boys surely wouldn’t be big fans of a sport like soccer ?
how did the womens world cup go there?

alas rugby league never made the list

Netball remains the most popular sport in secondary schools with 25,933 students involved, followed by basketball (25,595), rugby (24,625), volleyball (23,391), and football (20,464).

Bechara Dragon

Juniors
Why not Wally?? You honestly live in LaLa Land with your thinking.
Can you please get out of Western Sydney just once in your life and see the real world where there is zero animosity between sports?

Bechara Dragon

Juniors
how did the womens world cup go there?

alas rugby league never made the list

Netball remains the most popular sport in secondary schools with 25,933 students involved, followed by basketball (25,595), rugby (24,625), volleyball (23,391), and football (20,464).
Ouch! He'll change the subject

Bechara Dragon

Juniors
Worse than here

even still that’s just women’s lib going out for a jolly and not representative of the people who show up week to week

im sure you have seen the men’s and women’s a league crowds (or lack of)
The Women's A League pull bigger crowds than NRLW Wally.
Just do a little bit of homework

Perth Red

Post Whore
Worse than here

even still that’s just women’s lib going out for a jolly and not representative of the people who show up week to week

im sure you have seen the men’s and women’s a league crowds (or lack of)
soccer is one of those strange sporting anomalies

particaption level beats nearly every sport
international level beats nearly every sport
professional level continues to struggle to get an audience

Lets hope Aleague never gets its act together and turns participation into audience!

Wb1234

Referee
soccer is one of those strange sporting anomalies

particaption level beats nearly every sport
international level beats nearly every sport
professional level continues to struggle to get an audience

Lets hope Aleague never gets its act together and turns participation into audience!
History is at club level soccer has never taken hold

they were popular in parts of Sydney before rugby league

then the nsl was a decent little comp that died out. I’m talking about actual clubs which owned their own grounds like Fairfield Marconi club. It was a national comp with clubs based on ethnic backgrounds lol.

aussie love to show their pride at world cups

soccer participation numbers are a mirage. Soccer mums won’t allow their kids to play a contact sport so soccer is the safest option

any Aussie soccer fan already has the premier league he doesn’t need to waste time on a garbage league which is division two or theee equivalent

Bechara Dragon

Juniors
History is at club level soccer has never taken hold

they were popular in parts of Sydney before rugby league

then the nsl was a decent little comp that died out. I’m talking about actual clubs which owned their own grounds like Fairfield Marconi club. It was a national comp with clubs based on ethnic backgrounds lol.

aussie love to show their pride at world cups

soccer participation numbers are a mirage. Soccer mums won’t allow their kids to play a contact sport so soccer is the safest option

any Aussie soccer fan already has the premier league he doesn’t need to waste time on a garbage league which is division two or theee equivalent
Wally! This is your best comment yet! 🤣🤣

"Participation numbers are a mirage"

Perth why do you bother interacting with that Neanderthal?