What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In all seriousness, they'll struggle to fill it to halfway in the current situation.

dimitri

First Grade
Hopefully very soon a revamped Members Equity Stadium will be a First Grade Home Ground for the WA REDS

perth.jpg

Frederick

Staff member
Timmah said:
In all seriousness, they'll struggle to fill it to halfway in the current situation.
Good thing this current situation is only current and won't be around when the stadium is finished.

Red Bear

Referee
Heard there was new western grandstand plans for WIN?
You could make a great little ground at WIN if you fixed the whole Western side up nd joined it to Northern and Southern ends.
Doubt we'll get anything that major done whilst we only have 6 or so games of high crowd drawing sport a year, however if we can get an A-League side something could be done

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Frederick said:
Yeah, come back when the Dogs fill Telstra past halfway

Dickhead

FMD, it wasn't a flippant remark. The current situation seems to have driven an absolute bucketload of fans away. It's a cause for concern and if it continues over a further year or more period things could get ugly if the stadium's getting bigger.

I hope and do believe things will improve, trust me.

As for the 'Dogs... Sydney's second highest grossing team behind only the Wests Tigers - and Telstra... :lol: What a dumb remark.

mattyg

Bench
i've gotta say the new GC stadium looks amazing, but im questioning them being ahead of schedule!! its now August..in 7 months they've still gotta:

- finish a bit of the main construction
- install 25,000 seats
- put the roof on
- do all the external works surrounding the ground (eg. paths, tiling etc.)
- install scoreboards
- media facilities
- paint the ground, put signage up

I think it will be tight for them to do all that in 7 months

Red Bear

Referee
mattyg said:
i've gotta say the new GC stadium looks amazing, but im questioning them being ahead of schedule!! its now August..in 7 months they've still gotta:

- install 25,000 seats
- put the roof on
- install scoreboards
- media facilities

And you know, add grass to the playing surface.
Altho bear in mind those photo's were from June i think so more would've been done since then

greg

Juniors
mattyg said:

- install 25,000 seats
- put the roof on
- install scoreboards
- media facilities

Those photos are 2 months old. I drive past it every day and it has come along a lot further than the photo. It looks brilliant and judging by how it looked today will definitely be finished on or before schedule.

Nice to see this thread get a bump. ;-)

\
Red Bear said:
Heard there was new western grandstand plans for WIN?

Really? When did you hear this? I keep my ear pretty close to the ground on this but the last I heard was that the Wollongong Sportsground Trust's plans to redevelop the western stand as part of a larger commercial development of their land did not get enough interest to go anywhere.

Red Bear said:
You could make a great little ground at WIN if you fixed the whole Western side up nd joined it to Northern and Southern ends.

There's no doubt about it. A new western stand and some improvements to the amenities on the eastern (hill) side would make for a top little ground. The western side of the ground is somewhat limited in potential because there's simply not that much space but you could easily double the number of people currently can be accomodated. The hill could do with an increased gradient too but that's a fairly minor issue.

Red Bear said:
Doubt we'll get anything that major done whilst we only have 6 or so games of high crowd drawing sport a year, however if we can get an A-League side something could be done

Eventually something will happen. An A-League team would probably help but I doubt that will make a material difference to whether or not there's a state/federal grant forthcoming.

mattyg

Bench
i'd imagine installing 25,000 seats is a huge job on its own. That would probably take a few months itself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The WA Reds are getting a state of the art 60,000 seater stadium. We do have to share it with a couple of lesser teams from other codes but we all know they are really building it in preparation for our 2012 NRL franchise!

ByRd

First Grade
Its on Aust stadiums site as a proposed development and it says it will seat 70,000 but also says that it will be the home ground of the West coast eagles and Fremantle dockers.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
parramatta stadium will be re developed, they will join the north hill to the grandstands to make it like the sfs i believe and in the coming years will do the same to the south hill to make it one complete stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its discussed in the West paper at least 3 times a week! AFL want 70,000, Govt only willing to build 60, Glory and WARL want redeveloped MES or new 25,000 ground, Force want at least 30,000 but happy to play in AFL ground if stands move. God only knows what we'll end up with! Knowing this state Govt it will be decades before anything happens anyway.

ByRd

First Grade
hindmarsh4pm said:
parramatta stadium will be re developed, they will join the north hill to the grandstands to make it like the sfs i believe and in the coming years will do the same to the south hill to make it one complete stadium.
yeh, hopefully parra stadium is re-developed and more seats added. It has the space and should be at least a 30,000 seat stadium and hopefully those dumb billboards are moved frm sight lol

dimitri

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Its discussed in the West paper at least 3 times a week! AFL want 70,000, Govt only willing to build 60, Glory and WARL want redeveloped MES or new 25,000 ground, Force want at least 30,000 but happy to play in AFL ground if stands move. God only knows what we'll end up with! Knowing this state Govt it will be decades before anything happens anyway.

Would be great for the Reds if they could get the Stadium to move/reconfirgure to a rectangle shape.

Would perhaps be an idea for the Reds to Play at MES then hold 3 or so BLOCKBUSTER matches at the new ground - similar to what the Sydney Swans do with SCG / Telstra Stadium

Red Bear

Referee
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
Nice to see this thread get a bump. ;-)

\

Really? When did you hear this? I keep my ear pretty close to the ground on this but the last I heard was that the Wollongong Sportsground Trust's plans to redevelop the western stand as part of a larger commercial development of their land did not get enough interest to go anywhere.

There's no doubt about it. A new western stand and some improvements to the amenities on the eastern (hill) side would make for a top little ground. The western side of the ground is somewhat limited in potential because there's simply not that much space but you could easily double the number of people currently can be accomodated. The hill could do with an increased gradient too but that's a fairly minor issue.

Eventually something will happen. An A-League team would probably help but I doubt that will make a material difference to whether or not there's a state/federal grant forthcoming.
Yeah, i thought it had been all canned but then i heard something on the radio the dragons home game before the rabbits, whoever that was against (bulldogs maybe?).
Unfortunately, wollongong is a rediculously safe labour area at all levels of govt, so we wont begetting any cash in the near future from either side to help upgrade the western side. And yeah, you couldnt make it huge due to lack of room to move with the street behind, but you could certainly put more in than is in there now.