What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? G.C. bears for 2017 ??

no name

Coach
I wonder how the titans fans feel about this. Chance to kick start a brighter future or another screw up that has cost them time and money getting behind the Titans? Any Titans fans on here?

I'm unsure about it.

I was a Magpie supporter who felt ripped off when they were merged.
Following the merge I followed the WT but had no where near as much passion for them as when they were the Magpies.

When I found out the GC was getting a team, it was an opportunity for me to support my local side.
The Dolphins would have been a perfect name for them as there is a connection to the ocean etc. Redcliffe will never have a team in the NRL so it was disappointing that they put a stop to it.

The name and branding of the Titans was a pretty shitty decision, no connection to the area, Americanised BS etc. This was the first of a long list of crappy decisions that have put the club in the pretty dire situation it is in now

Changing to a Bear would at least get rid of the shitty Titan.
I'm not sure how other supporters would react though.

Diesel

Referee
I'm unsure about it.

Following the merge I followed the WT but had no where near as much passion for them as when they were the Magpies.

When I found out the GC was getting a team, it was an opportunity for me to support my local side.
The Dolphins would have been a perfect name for them as there is a connection to the ocean etc. Redcliffe will never have a team in the NRL so it was disappointing that they put a stop to it.

The name and branding of the Titans was a pretty shitty decision, no connection to the area, Americanised BS etc. This was the first of a long list of crappy decisions that have put the club in the pretty dire situation it is in now

I get this, so many people were questioning why Titans was chosen when there was a poll on the website to chose the name. There were so many mariner, sea animals terms and names etc and Titans was chosen and people were questioning this.

I'm unsure about it.

I liked the dolphin name when it was first announced and was disappointed when Redcliffe kick up a fuss and they had to pick something else. Once they selected Titans I never took to them. Never liked the other crappy possible options like Pirates or Stingers.

Marlins

Juniors
I think this will only benefit the Gold Coast area and Rugby League Community their. The Titans brand just never caught on so maybe seeing is how the Bears were an icon name/club it might add a lot more Intrest for the Gold Coast. I think I'd prefer the the club name being North Coast Bears over the Gold Coast Bears. By making it GCBears it might discourage a lot of old NSB supporters catching on but you never know. As for were to play home games I'd play 6 games at GC, 3 games at CC, 1 game Suncorp, 1 game at Nsd oval and a trial match there as well under the name North Coast Bears.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think this will only benefit the Gold Coast area and Rugby League Community their. The Titans brand just never caught on so maybe seeing is how the Bears were an icon name/club it might add a lot more Intrest for the Gold Coast. I think I'd prefer the the club name being North Coast Bears over the Gold Coast Bears. By making it GCBears it might discourage a lot of old NSB supporters catching on but you never know. As for were to play home games I'd play 6 games at GC, 3 games at CC, 1 game Suncorp, 1 game at Nsd oval and a trial match there as well under the name North Coast Bears.

You would want the majority of games at Robina. So say 10 games there. Stuff the Brisbane option. 2 Games at the Central coast, where say other teams could be encouraged to bring there home games vs the Titans too as well to provide more games (and really not many get the crowds vs the Titans). Killing 2 birds with one stone. The GC has potential to bring in the crowds, it has previously, just poor onfield product and bad management that screwed over the local businesses poured cold water on everything. It will take time to turn around, but the bad apples are gone, and if the plan is put in place properly, who knows what a success they could have.

As for the Titans moniker, it is the worst. Burliegh bears is a feeder team anyhow so it's natural to change to the Bears.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
Having Sydney teams play the GC at CC is a good point.

If say 4 teams take their games to CC, plus the GC take 2 games of their own, gives the CC 6 games featuring the Bears.

Whether teams would be up to shifting the games is the question, but GC teams are hardly a draw card for big crowds in Sydney.

philgood

Juniors
if this gold coast bears thing happens, the gold coast titans club should just fold and the bears should run it all, so basically it's just a relocation for the bears, and a continuation of the bears records, and the colours would be red and black. souths play 2 games out of state, so there's no reason why the bears couldn't play a game in gosford and a game at north sydney oval every year, with the north sydney oval game being played in heritage round. there is obviously not enough of the gold coast public supporting the titans, so maybe they would support a club with more history, and it sounds like the bears are making a lot of money with the leagues club up there, so that could help them make it a strong team

A more important issue than the Gold Coast franchise is, which team will you be following this year?

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors

I dont think calling it North Coast would work. Gold Coast is as far south as you can get in Qld. They are a Qld based team so I think calling it North coast would leave a bitter taste in the mouth of Qlders. The titans already suffer because they haven't really been embraced by Qld because they seem to be a pseudo NSW team with the majority of the playing roster coming from south of the border. North Coast would just confirm that for locals imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given they seem to have a hardcore attendance of around 10-13k, similar to Melbourne, Manly, Raiders, Wests, Cronulla & Panthers seems a bit harsh to say they have no fans?

Do the NSBears leagues clubs have a spare $2-4million a year to plough into a NRL club?
If the exisiting Titans fans can live with it, Bears have some serious money t invest, and the NRl takes a leadership role in supporting the model of the club as suggested with away games being taken to CC then it could work well.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I think a good idea would be to burn down the Gold Coast entirely, engulfing all sporting communities and transients. The place sucks from top to bottom. Let's just raze the city and be done with it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
To all the people saying the team should move to Brisbane or elsewhere, there is the issue of the 5 yr old shiny new stadium that the Qld taxpayers built for them...

I'm assuming the Qld Govt will have some sort of guarantees from the NRL that it's going to be actually used for a while.

yakstorm

First Grade
From 2017 the NRL club grants are looking to be 130% of the salary cap. Throw in the fact the NRL has been able to negotiate better stadium hire fees than the club incurred before and from a financial perspective the Bears buying the GC isn't as much of a poor investment as it once was.

The Titans use to be profitable, but they lost their way with the Centre of Excellence and by upsetting the local community. Maybe a left field change like this might be what the region needs... if not they could just pretend they are a promoted Burleigh...

Why don't the Titans, the Florimo Bears and the Burleigh Bears all sit down, have a cup of tea, a chat and make something good out of it all.

_Johnsy

Referee
I'm unsure about it.

As a lifelong Dragon fan (since I was 4) & GC resident for 30+ years I'd become a GC Bears member straight away & i'd have a 2nd side for the 1st time in my life.

BuffaloRules

Coach
As a lifelong Dragon fan (since I was 4) & GC resident for 30+ years I'd become a GC Bears member straight away & i'd have a 2nd side for the 1st time in my life.

How come they aren't your 2nd team now?

Just because they have a shyte name?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
This is a pretty good news story all round...

Nths LC makes about $1M a year clear profit... including the $700k they spend on RL in district..

They also have about $80M in assets and not much debt...

Surely it is time they respected their heritage and remember why they exist and invest a couple of mill and buy out the NRL from GC...

A mixed H&A Schedule carefully managed could probably be in top 5 of all NRL teams for crowds ave...

Play 8 home games at GC (Make sure Souths, St geo, Bris, NQ, all play to ensure ok crowds)
Play 2 games at NSO (against out of NSW teams storm , canberra, get sell outs anyway)
Play 2 home games at CC ( play newcastle, penrtih =, sell outs)

Away game v Manly could be played as a Manly home game at NSO
2-3 other sydney teams would probably take home games to CC stadium to play GCB

kdalymc

Bench
I'm unsure about it.

Makes sense, cos I always see Tigers in Balmain, Knights in Newie, and A BEAR IN NORTH SYDNEY....