What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gary Freeman and Russell Fairfax

Moffo

Referee
I believe this topic deserves its own thread

These two guys entered the foxsports hall of fame for shocking commentators last night. And they will be well received by the likes of Glen Lazarus, Mark Geyer and Steve Mortimer. These guys are below woeful. Fairfax is a cliche machine and Gary Freeman has the mentality of a 5yr old. Why oh why can't we get professionals to call footy games in place of these hacks footy players who are looking for a quick quid??

Their performance last night was absolutely pathetic. Get em off. And for those who say listen to radio, i say no. Hearing what happens 3 seconds before it happens on the TV makes the game unwatchable

Cheers,
Moffo

The Backpacker

Juniors
Add Jason Costigan to that. The guy is a dead set goose and unfortunately gets all his material from the aforementioned idiots which makes him twice as painful to listen to.

El Diablo

Post Whore
They are shockers. Freeman was a joke in the Parra v Cowboys game a few weeks ago. He hates Parra and it's not hard to pick up in his commentary.

If commentators can't be neutral it stuffs up the game.

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
They are shockers. Freeman was a joke in the Parra v Cowboys game a few weeks ago. He hates Parra and it's not hard to pick up in his commentary.

Is this is the first time that you've noticed Freeman was biased?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
El Duque said:

Is this is the first time that you've noticed Freeman was biased?

Nope. He used to actually be bias towards Parra a few years ago when he was coaching there but I get the feeling something must of happened as now he's the total opposite.

Freeman is always defending head high tackles too. Sometimes I dont know how he figures there was nothing in them.

legend

Coach
It pains me to say it but Daley is the worst. It used to be towards us but something happened to the bloke and now he dribbles on about some other mob. :lol:

I think Warren Smith and Greg Alexander are very insightful commentators and personally, I don't think Daley is that bad. Mark Braybrook also goes ok.

I just wish Fox had their own NRL channel like the AFL does. Each club could have their own weekly show and there are enough great games to keep the channel going. They could show great Origin matches, test matches, finals, club games. Even if it was only from Friday through to Monday, it would be a start.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think Daley tends to talk about Saints from an 'inside the sheds' perspective. He also gets asked by the co-commentator. In that regard, he's not the worst. I hadn't noticed him overly bagging any other team... maybe he just isn't a one-eyed Raiders commentator anymore.

Russell Fairfax is the one of worst imo. Don't know why one the greatest players I ever seen can become such a crappy commentator. At least he seems to have TV skills.

Lazaruz on the hand has carried his large slow-moving mindless football brain into his commentary. Talk about giving jobs to mates.

JoeD

First Grade
I reckon us kiwis have got it all over you in the crap commentators stakes, even if one of ours is an aussie import. Costigan is a dead set fool. I'm sure Tea Ropati is a great guy but his literacy skills leave something to be desired. The way he trails off mid sentence is bad but his post match interviews are cringe worthy. Halligan, great kicker, crap commentator.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Peter Wopati is okay but Tea is pretty bloody hopeless. Costigan is as you say a fool. What happened to Graham Hughes? He was ok, Brent Todd was also good for a laugh (give yourself 50 uppercuts ref!) even if he was a bit of a goose.

salivor

First Grade
Peter Wopati would be ok if he didn't get all this comments off the footy show. One day he may actually realise that alot of the people watching the friday night match have just switched over from the same show hes stealing ideas from.
No member of the sky league team in the past and present has ever had a single redeeming feature. Thou must be a biased son of a bitch towards the Warriors has been printed in every one of the commentators contracts.

sydraider

First Grade
On channel 9 it is just as bad, well you have fatty who openly admits to it which everyone is used to, then you have gus gould whos loyalty to the roosters and freddy in particular often leaves him discrediting their oppostion on game day. Sterlo you would think played for the knights all his life the way he is when the novocastrians are on.
Otherwise vossy and rabbsi are pretty cool.

JoeD

First Grade
I agree with you on Voss, I think he is the best league man on TV on either side of the Tasman, however Rabs is just a crusty old man. I sometimes wonder if he is watching the same game as I am. He dosen't seem to have any idea about what is going on. An example is when someone like Andrew Johns puts in a shocker kick that slices off the side of his boot and bounces over the sideline, Rabs will scream out what a great kick it was and that he is a master of the game. Hopeless.

GBT

Juniors
It seems you have the luxury to pick and choose.

I'd have any of the commentators mentioned if it also meant an increase in coverage.

BTW, is Terry Kennedy still around? His voice used to annoy me, like a few Aussie voices, it seemed contrived, a bit like wotsisname from Beyond 2000. ;-)

chileman

Coach
If Fairfax is still there next season then FOX have got no respect for the fans (not that they have much now) I fairdinkum haven't met one person that thinks he's a good commentator and most like me can't stand him on the mike!

Tigerpete

Juniors
That Costigan dude is the WORST i've ever heard. He is so completely biased and the fact that he cant tell which players are which means that im always muting warriors games on my tv, the bloke should be told rack off!!!

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Moffo said:
I believe this topic deserves its own thread

These two guys entered the foxsports hall of fame for shocking commentators last night. And they will be well received by the likes of Glen Lazarus, Mark Geyer and Steve Mortimer. These guys are below woeful. Fairfax is a cliche machine and Gary Freeman has the mentality of a 5yr old. Why oh why can't we get professionals to call footy games in place of these hacks footy players who are looking for a quick quid??

Their performance last night was absolutely pathetic. Get em off. And for those who say listen to radio, i say no. Hearing what happens 3 seconds before it happens on the TV makes the game unwatchable

Cheers,
Moffo
You're so right about Fairfax! The commentary never changes, it's so predictable. You can guarantee he's going to say "he raises that percentage a little bit more" after at least 3 successful conversions, or if anyone takes a hit-up the player "loves nothing more than the hard stuff". Freeman's just as bad. I've made a game of seeing how many times he can say "nice and wide" or nice and anything in a match :roll: .
Saying that I'd love to swap them for Eddie "verbal diarrhoea" Hemmings or the referee bashing, anti-Lancashire/Aussie/Kiwi/anything that isn't from Bradford, controversial for the sake of it, Stevo :evil:

kaon

Juniors
Did anyone watch NRL on fox where Laurie Daley asks Braith Anasta a question about "Does it feel like last year" then, about 30s later Russel Fairfax asks exactly the same question. :roll:

Moffo

Referee
kaon said:
Did anyone watch NRL on fox where Laurie Daley asks Braith Anasta a question about "Does it feel like last year" then, about 30s later Russel Fairfax asks exactly the same question. :roll:

:lol: yeh, that was pretty funny

Its just a cliche-a-thon with him. I cant wait for him to call today's game - Should be a chart topper ](*,)

Cheers,
Moffo

iggy plop

First Grade
Freeman is a dead-set shocker. I hate how he stretches the word ABSOLUTELY all the time.

Freeman and Fairfax are amateurs and must be replaced for next year.

I like terry kennedy. he is capable of the clanger.

Andrew Voss is the best of the lot with Warren Smith closely behind.

iggy plop

First Grade
That was ABSOLUUUUTELYYYYYY sensaaaayyyytional.

Freeman also has massive tickets on himself. I can't belive the New Zealand rugby league put him in charge of their national team.

Get this man off our screens!! League fans deserve better.