What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gary Freeman and Russell Fairfax

Frenzy

Juniors
Yesterday I watched the 1981 GF on Fox. It was from the old Channel 7 archive and the commentators were Rex Mossop and Barry Ross.

How retrospectively refreshing it was to hear guys simply call the game.

No bullshit Gould/Sterling like tactics. No bullshit Ray Warren overfamilarity. No brainless predictions a la FOX. No innuendos, no speculation, no crap

Just commentary

BRING BACK THE MOOSE

Mark Rudd

Juniors
You guys are sooks!

I love those guys. At least Freeman has an opinion and shares it. He has personality even if you disagree with him. I love the way he gets fired up over something like idiotic Bulldog fans on Sports Central for instance. I love it!

Fairfax? The mans a ledgend and I was bittlerly disapointed when they didnt show my pic with him and my friends from Saturday night in Melbourne last night on NRL on FOX. I've gotten the feeling thats its actually filmed TUESDAY night. Theres a good conspiracy for ya!

I hate polished 'plastic' type of commentators. Keep em ruff and ready and their opinions straight from the heart.

Anonymous

Juniors
I honestly think most of you would complain about any commentators.

Also, I still can't detect this alleged bias from the NZ commentators. Watch the West Tigers game last weekend for instance, they seemed to want to pick holes and imagine forward passes in every Warriors try, which is something they usually do. Daryl Halligan in particular almost always favours the opposition and he and Ropati often disagree with each other on refereeing decisions, so you can hardly make a blanket accusation of bias.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The worst bias commentary is watching a Brisbane game on 9 when Lazarus and co are calling it. Lazarus sometimes does little woohoo's when Brisbane score :roll:

innsaneink

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
I honestly think most of you would complain about any commentators.

Also, I still can't detect this alleged bias from the NZ commentators. Watch the West Tigers game last weekend for instance, they seemed to want to pick holes and imagine forward passes in every Warriors try, which is something they usually do. Daryl Halligan in particular almost always favours the opposition and he and Ropati often disagree with each other on refereeing decisions, so you can hardly make a blanket accusation of bias.
I dont ever detect any bias but I dont pay much attention so I may be wrong.....
but geez these kiwi commentators....they could at least get the bloody teams name correct!!!!!
It musta been at least 10 times I heard them call us The western tigers
in that game

Do it right or dont do it boys!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
The other thing about Rex is that he used to call the game on his own, with Barry Ross ion the sideline. That was it.

And if Poxtel show the 1982 and 1983 GF's listen to Rex's voice when Parra score. Monotone, with a hint of crestfallen. :lol:

Once Dead

Bench
Ah, commentators and their cliches, i'm in my element here!!!!!!!!!

Laurie Daley - 'He's the type of player that always does things at a hundred mile an hour'..........lucky they don't give out speeding tickets on the footy field or else there'd be about 3 players who do things at that speed booked per game.........

Andy Raymond - '[Insert fact] in Season 2003' (Gets a run very regularly if not every game he calls)

Surely they can say the same thing, but in a different way.......

Glenn Lazarus - Melbourne Bias King

Latest posts