What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genesis and Impact *Spoilers*

bartman

Immortal
Boy, that Nasty Boys v Kevin Nash and Eric Young match screened tonight stunk pretty badly...

bartman

Immortal
Probably because the oldies that have come in can't work a 6 sided ring.

And they want to product to look similar to traditional wrestling/WWE, so as not to 'shock' anyone new who might be tuning in.

Stonecutter

First Grade
I can't believe i'm saying this because I was a big TNA fan. But ever since hogan came in it has gone.....DOWNHILL!!!! 4 sided ring! that ramp to the ring meaning we can't see as many flying over the top rope to the outside moves (only see 1 since by AJ styles). Nasty Boys beat Nash and Young. C'mon Nasty boys are fat has beens. Scott Hall and Xpac are more old has beens that should not be on TV. Sean Morley defeating Daniels at Genesis was a joke. Orlando beating The Pope is another f**ken joke of the highest order.

Meanwhile these Hogan buddie useless f**ks are meaning we don't see the MCMG, Homicide, Daniels, Joe the X division pretty much all the good things about TNA. And seeing Hogan and Bischoff on the screen 24/7 is terrible as well. They just churn out the same crap over and over.

The WWE is now more entertaining then TNA once again and will bury them quickly if this sh*t continues.

Iafeta

Referee
6 sides could alienate potential audiences that see it as gimmicky.

How can you see it as gimmicky? If you tune at the right moment and see MCMG v Generation Me, using 6 different points to hit high flying moves or double team stunning moves... you're hooked.

I'm sorry, but disabling basically the thing everyone wants to see (X style wrestling) by putting in a ramp and taking away the 6 corners... dumbest decision ever.

Big Pete

Referee
How can you see it as gimmicky? If you tune at the right moment and see MCMG v Generation Me, using 6 different points to hit high flying moves or double team stunning moves... you're hooked.

I'm sorry, but disabling basically the thing everyone wants to see (X style wrestling) by putting in a ramp and taking away the 6 corners... dumbest decision ever.

How can't I see it as gimmicky should be the question. It's 6 sided, traditionally wrestling rings are four sides.

If everybody wanted to see high spots, why didn't WSX take off?

Misanthrope

Staff member

Because, if you watched WSX, it wasn't high spots as much as it was exploding sets and people screaming at you about how excited you should be.

Big Pete

Referee
That last part sounded a lot like TNA.

"That was a great match! AJ Styles is the future of this business and it must be true because I'm Kurt Angle and I broke my freakin' neck".

Iafeta

Referee
How can't I see it as gimmicky should be the question. It's 6 sided, traditionally wrestling rings are four sides.

I'm yet to hear of any fan whose tuned into the 6 sides and gone, WTF and turned away. It's more likely to be, hey, this is different, look at these guys put a crapload more effort in to improvise than the guys in the WWE who are probably still applying that rest hold.

You can call it gimmicky all you want, but it's marketable and allows for great wrestling spots and great chain wrestling. Why would anyone in their right mind take a product that has several competitive edges and water it down to become WWE-lite? And then to move the ramp up so there's no drop to the ring, THAT is gimmicky and dumb. And it's gimmicky, yet it takes away the ability of the wrestlers to breathe their competitive edge to life (more agile and risky in ring product).

The only gimmicky thing he needed to get rid of was the Steel Asylum match. That match makes no sense and is just goofy.

If you ask me, Hogan is doing exactly what he did in WCW, with his cohorts like Bischoff. He wants WWE-lite, he wants 300 pound guys duking it out in the corners, and he doesn't want his type of wrestling to be shown up by the X-wrestlers that inhabit TNA. Hulk Hogan should have been brought into TNA as an on screen character, nothing more.

Big Pete

Referee
Yet the WWE aren't as deliberate about it as TNA despite trying to appeal to a younger audience.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm yet to hear of any fan whose tuned into the 6 sides and gone, WTF and turned away. It's more likely to be, hey, this is different, look at these guys put a crapload more effort in to improvise than the guys in the WWE who are probably still applying that rest hold.

You can call it gimmicky all you want, but it's marketable and allows for great wrestling spots and great chain wrestling. Why would anyone in their right mind take a product that has several competitive edges and water it down to become WWE-lite? And then to move the ramp up so there's no drop to the ring, THAT is gimmicky and dumb. And it's gimmicky, yet it takes away the ability of the wrestlers to breathe their competitive edge to life (more agile and risky in ring product).

The only gimmicky thing he needed to get rid of was the Steel Asylum match. That match makes no sense and is just goofy.

If you ask me, Hogan is doing exactly what he did in WCW, with his cohorts like Bischoff. He wants WWE-lite, he wants 300 pound guys duking it out in the corners, and he doesn't want his type of wrestling to be shown up by the X-wrestlers that inhabit TNA. Hulk Hogan should have been brought into TNA as an on screen character, nothing more.

On other forums I've attended one of the major reasons they disliked TNA was the 6 sided ring.

They can still execute those spots.

When was the last time you watched TNA before Hogan came in? 2005? TNA hasn't been about the X-Division for a long time now and has been trying to become WWE Lite for a long time now.

Misanthrope

Staff member
On other forums I've attended one of the major reasons they disliked TNA was the 6 sided ring.

But those are smarks. They're not the target audience of pro wrestling.

Misanthrope

Staff member
They also frequent internet forums. Internet fans and regular, watch on TV and buy merchandise fans aren't really a similar breed.

Big Pete

Referee
So just because you attend a forum, doesn't matter if it's not neccesarily a Professional Wrestling forum, it could be gaming, it could be general sports it could be anything, you're automatically a smark?

Yeah, the WWE would never tell us who to cheer for or how awesome one of its workers are.

What I think he was getting at is that TNA are constantly telling us about the future yet constantly rely on the past.

AJ Style is NOT the future. AJ Styles is the PRESENT. AJ is a 4 time world champion for f**ksakes. Regardless of what you think about his previous reigns. AJ was the future in 05. Its 2010, AJ is TNA. Wuit telling us about the possibilities, and show us.

Misanthrope

Staff member
So just because you attend a forum, doesn't matter if it's not neccesarily a Professional Wrestling forum, it could be gaming, it could be general sports it could be anything, you're automatically a smark?

Yes, that's clearly what I meant. Let's take the statement literally instead of using some intelligence and reading into the context :crazy: