What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genesis and Impact *Spoilers*

Big Pete

Referee
Okay. So you made the incorrect assumption that the 6-sided ring comment was made by smarks. That's what your post basically comes down to.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
On other forums I've attended one of the major reasons they disliked TNA was the 6 sided ring.

They can still execute those spots.

When was the last time you watched TNA before Hogan came in? 2005? TNA hasn't been about the X-Division for a long time now and has been trying to become WWE Lite for a long time now.

I've been taping it on IQ for a while and watching it every week.

You can call it X Division, you can call it a mixture of lucha libre or pure cruiserweight wrestling, you call it whatever you want - but frankly, the lower and midcard of the TNA roster and their week to week output in terms of using 6 points of high impact contact made for FAR more enjoyable wrestling than anything WWE could offer.

They can execute SOME of those spots. The plancha to the outside is greatly restricted, as the safest point was in the ramp way not next to the guardrail. They had six points to hit instead of four, and made use of it.

This is dumb Hogan-itis "It's 1984 and that's how we'll wrassle around here."

Big Pete

Referee
That type of wrestling rarely took place in TNA and when it did, little was made of it.

I get what you're saying and I agree Cruiserweight wrestling for the most part has been underappreciated for a long time now but trust me when I say this, TNA hasn't valued it truly since 2005.

Big Pete

Referee
What I think he was getting at is that TNA are constantly telling us about the future yet constantly rely on the past.

AJ Style is NOT the future. AJ Styles is the PRESENT. AJ is a 4 time world champion for f**ksakes. Regardless of what you think about his previous reigns. AJ was the future in 05. Its 2010, AJ is TNA. Wuit telling us about the possibilities, and show us.

You essentially hit the nail on the head Marlins. What really peeved me about TNA was their reliance on 'shoot' promo's during their reset episodes when you had the likes of Angle after the split of the MEM coming out and telling the crowd they should get behind Morgan and Styles since they're the future. Why would a wrestler ever say that? Especially Angle? It was just lazy writing by TNA creative and instead of wasting time with that promo they should've spent more time building the Samoa Joe, Daniels and Styles title match which had a terrible build up.

What I'd like to see TNA do is focus more on the actual in-ring product. Give wrestlers more of a personality in the ring. Make Styles into the HBK of 94-97, Joe into the Awesome Kong of the male division, Wolfe into the technical tormentor who can break you in an instant, Angle into the experienced competitor and Abyss into the deranged unorthodox big man. They can all have their quirks which the commentators can pick up on. That'd and a host of other features would be what I'd change about the company.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I do wish they'd do that. They've got a roster than boasts as much, or possibly more, in ring talent than the WWE yet they insist on trying to match them on a gimmick level. Use the in ring talents of the workers who have them, use the charisma of guys like Raven and Sting and Dinero, and generate a product of your own.

For something that once called itself 'the wrestling alternative', they seem more and more determined each week to be more like a WWE that has been stagnant for a few years now. It's like watching your NRL team continually name Ben Rogers at halfback ahead of Andrew Johns.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Stick a fork in the f**kers, they're done.

Honky Tonk Man is very close to signing a deal with TNA. The former Intercontinental champion has been in contact with TNA since early December.

On top of that Kong probably won't last, and Bischoff (the great talent scout that he is) isn't keen on Jay Lethal so he will probably be on the way out as well.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Include Eric Young on the "likely to be on the way out squad"

Not only does he drop the Global Championship, but he does it on a non televised event, to someone who is "supposedly" part of his own stable, and more important, has no business holding anything that resembles an aluminium belt, let alone a championship.

Yes, they're in Britain on a tour, and maybe Young will regain the belt by the time they return for the next round of TV tapings, but still, it really cheapens the belt.

Rob Terry defeated Eric Young to win the TNA Global Title at the house show in Cardiff, Wales on Wednesday.

The Observer has reported that TNA will move to Monday nights permanantly on a one live-one taped alternating schedule, similar to WWF in the mid 90s.

Iafeta

Referee
Jesus, where have you been Big Pete? Rarely happens? What were you watching when MCMG, Lethal, Creed, and these boys were out there wrestling? If there's no friggen high flying stuff, particularly in the tag matches which often go for wont of a better word 'Tornado Tag'
style in those matches, particularly using multiple turnbuckles for extra impact, and if you aren't seeing planchas to the outside, then I think someone's slipped in a copy of RAW into your VCR and sworn to your blue in the face that it's TNA. That's a seriously warped (and wrong) view.... That'd be like arguing that Bart Simpson really isn't yellow.

Honky Tonk Man... LOL. Might as well bring back Black Bart, the Mulkey Brothers, Wendi Richter, Greg Gagne and then we'll have Hulk Hogan Cool and the Gang back together. Maybe, maybe we could have a few cartoons to go with it. Sounds bonanza. Hey, I hear Gone with the Wind is pretty hot too ... what? Wrong year? Quick, someone snail mail Hogan.

Big Pete

Referee
Jesus, where have you been Big Pete? Rarely happens? What were you watching when MCMG, Lethal, Creed, and these boys were out there wrestling? If there's no friggen high flying stuff, particularly in the tag matches which often go for wont of a better word 'Tornado Tag'
style in those matches, particularly using multiple turnbuckles for extra impact, and if you aren't seeing planchas to the outside, then I think someone's slipped in a copy of RAW into your VCR and sworn to your blue in the face that it's TNA. That's a seriously warped (and wrong) view.... That'd be like arguing that Bart Simpson really isn't yellow.

Honky Tonk Man... LOL. Might as well bring back Black Bart, the Mulkey Brothers, Wendi Richter, Greg Gagne and then we'll have Hulk Hogan Cool and the Gang back together. Maybe, maybe we could have a few cartoons to go with it. Sounds bonanza. Hey, I hear Gone with the Wind is pretty hot too ... what? Wrong year? Quick, someone snail mail Hogan.

TNA certainly didn't care for those matches, they were barely advertised and generally thrown together at the last minute. I agree with you, TNA should advertise the X-Division, but even before Hogan they rarely advertised and the stars of the division were usually mistreated.

Creed is a jobber and is essentially an inferior version of Shelton Benjamin. That's not a compliment.

Lethal has been wasted since 2007, and before Hogan arrived on the scene he was jobbing to legends who had no right to be in the ring.

MCMG seem to live by this slogan in TNA: Here today, gone tomorrow as they're usually on one week and forgotten by the next. It's a crying shame too, Sabin and Shelley should be groomed for the main event by now.

That leaves the following in the X Division... (pre-Hogan)

Suicide - Fine wrestler, terrible gimmick that's grown horribly stale.

Kiyoshi - Jobber, solid wrestler but he never connected with the crowd.

Homicide - Good wrestler, was placed into the background of Eric Young's stable.

Sheik Abdul Bashir - A heat magnet and solid wrestler. However just like Homicide and Kiyoshi was placed into the background.

Amazing Red - Good spot wrestler, terrible look and D.W. wasn't getting him anywhere even as champion.

Such a far cry to the kind of attention the X-Division received in 2005 when it'd main event Pay Per Views.

Ari Gold

Bench
Honky Tonk man is not going to TNA. Bischoff said that "he couldn't draw flies rolling around in horsesh*t".

For all the doomsayers... TNA's ratings have jumped by 25% since Hogan has come in.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
40% actually if the ratings are anything to go by this week.

The Qtr hours were 1.51, 1.46, 1.44, 1.43, 1.42, 1.27, 1.22 and 1.30 for an average of 1.40 as opposed to the 1.0 they were hovering around before Hogan and Bischoff entered.

Still, it's easy to pick up ratings when you've got a steady stream of surprises and new signings. At some stage they're going to no longer have that and then the week to week creativity and execution is what will grow and maintain ratings. At this stage they haven't had the chance to prove that one way or the other.

Latest posts