What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genuine contenders 2014?

The Pelican

Juniors
Roosters, Storm and Manly to contend for the title.

Penrith to make top 4 with the above three but aren't quite at there level yet to challenge for the title.

Souffs to finish 5th. Last year was their best chance imo, and with the players they've lost compared to the players they've brought in (lolte and Joel Reddy:crazy::lol:) they've missed their chance for now anyway imo.

Cowboys, Warriors and Broncos to round out the 8.

Knights, dogs and sharks to miss the finals.

Raiders for the spoon due to the Ricky factor.:lol:

Lambretta

First Grade
Souths will be right up there and I'm making them my pick

This will be Burgess's shot for an NRL title before he switches to Rugby Union - also their half back has gained far more experience.

They've lost some quality players, but they've been that close that a bit more luck is all they need

With my talent for consistantly putting my foot in my mouth that means Parra will be champions!

Sleep

Juniors
Eels will be on the bottom again. With the exception of Hopoate they haven't picked up anyone impressive and he's been out of the game two years.

Tigers will struggle again this year but will probably get plenty of young guys experience and be better for it in the long run.

I think the Panthers will make the eight but they aren't contending just yet.

The Bulldogs are due for a letdown and full rebuild so I wouldn't be surprised if that's this year.

Kiwi

First Grade
IMO; Cowboys are top of the list.
Panthers and Dragons the big improvers.
Roosters will need something special in thier coach to go back to back.
Eels and Tigers to surprise, but the teams that could rattle a few will be either the Sharks or Dogs.

Agree the Eels and Tigers to surprise, can't see the Eels making the 8, but hey stranger things have happened. Tiger will depend on how their young brigade perform. Sharks could certainly give the comp a good shake, very hard to know what the Dogs will do, a lot of their attack revolved around Barba, and he is gone, so bottom of the top 8 at best for them I think.

Panthers have improved in many regards, but their halves pairing of Soward and Wallace is what could let them down. It could be great and Soward could be awesome with Wallace in support, or it could be a major flop which will really hinder their attack.

Cowboys should be contenders for sure, we'll see how they respond to Green.

I think the top 4 will come from the following teams

Rooster - Definate Favourites, a well drilled side, great in defense and plenty in attack
Storm
Cowboys
Souths

and Maybe

Sea Eagles - have lost a lot of front row depth, but still have DCE and Foran and a wealth of talent, could struggle though against teams with the ability to dominate their forwards. What should worry Eagle fans is what happened to the Broncos wide running backrowers last year. Guys like Thaiday, Glenn, Gillett, Stagg and Parker had to do more up the middle work due to front row stocks being light somewhat and it certainly blunted their effectiveness. That fate could await Watmough, Stewert, Symonds and co.

Broncos - not saying this because they are my club, they have recruited well for 2014 with front row stocks improved a lot, better halves, and more attacking options with Barba. In 2013 generally the Broncos got run over in the back end of games, this was a fitness issue as far as I'm concerned, Corvo leaving the Storm, a club who generally run over the top of side through fitness and endurance, and joining the Broncos will go a long way to fixing this. It will help tighten the ruck defense as well with increased fitness levels. Griffen definitely under pressure, he has a side and the right support staff in place that this team should be pushing for top 4.

Dragons - They have recruited well, very well. If Dugan stays fit and out of trouble, Widdop and Williams combine well they certainly have the team to push for top 4. Like Griffin, Price is under pressure, has a decent side to compete with.

So many teams on the improve, I think the comp will be a lot tighter at the top, man I can't wait. Let's just hope the refs don't ruin to many games and take the results out of teams hands.

Gonna be a bumper year :cool:

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
Roosters, Souths, Manly are the obvious favourites and should all make the 8 comfortably.

Could throw a blanket over Penrith, Warriors, Dogs, Storm, Sharks, Raiders, Knights, Cowboys, Broncos, Titans. All are capable of making the 8, provided their draw is decent, injuries are kind to them and they play to their level. All could have poor seasons though. I think Penrith, Storm, Warriors, Sharks and Cows are most likely to make it of that bunch, I just like what their sides have, but again could all go wrong. Think it was scary how important Buderus was to that Newcastle side last season, they really will be relying heavily on Kidley coming back and staying fit, something he hasn't done for a while. Broncos backline still looks very mehish to me, Raiders as ever are talented but who knows if they can put 80 minutes, let alone a season of good football together. Dogs attack has questionmarks, although they'll win a few games off the back of that forward pack. Titans lack killer instinct.

Dragons will improve I think, but their forward pack is really shit and Mitch Rein was pretty horrendous last year. They have a really exciting and promising backline, but I dont really see it getting much service. If they keep that backline together and bolster their forward pack in coming seasons they'll be a force again.

Tigers will struggle I think, but as mentioned by others will get a decent bit of experience into some promising footballers. At least twelve months of even pushing the 8 IMO.

Eels still look rubbish, although a full season Hayne being fit would be pretty huge for them. Peats should provide and upgrade at hooker and Hoppa, once he gets fit, will see them more dangerous out wide. You'd just want to see them compete for 80 minutes consistently to know they are actually turning the club around.

Card Shark

Immortal
Think it was scary how important Buderus was to that Newcastle side last season, they really will be relying heavily on Kidley coming back and staying fit, something he hasn't done for a while.

I think they can overcome Buderus going again but I'm not sure if they'll overcome the offseason crap that has plagued them.

It has a funny habit of having an impact even when players insist it won't or isn't. Time will tell.

If it doesn't affect them, they could be challenging for the title - they got 4th last year & could step up again.

Packy

Bench
I think Penriff are a real chance this year. Good coach, great recruiting, speed to burn and finally halves that aren't 110% useless.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think Penriff are a real chance this year. Good coach, great recruiting, speed to burn and finally halves that aren't 110% useless.

I am pumped for this year but at this stage top eight is a fair expectation. Top 4 or beyond would require something really special mixed in with a fair serving of luck. I think we are at the same stage as we were in 1989. If this squad follows the same trajectory I will be stoked (without the disaster of 1992 to f**k it up)

ek999

First Grade
6-8 finish is par for Penrith for me. Top 4 they have done very well and if they finish outside the 8 will be a failure (barring a serious injury toll)

Tommy Smith

Referee
My thoughts exactly.

They don't even have halves this year after their attempt to poach Milford for 2014 backfired.

Kiwi

First Grade

My 6 year old daughter is a better halves option than Wallace and Prince were. I'm happy with Hunt getting the halfback spot fulltime, he should have gotten it years ago, I think he will surprise many. The likes of Kahu, Strasser and co are certainly better than what we had in the 6. It's interesting time ahead.

Kiwi

First Grade
My thoughts exactly.

They don't even have halves this year after their attempt to poach Milford for 2014 backfired.

Again our first choice halves for most of last year were useless, they hampered our attack, were poor defenders, anything is an improvement, and Hunt showed a little of what he can do when given a chance. I think Hunt will cement the number 7 as his in 2014. We could play Hannant in the 6 and our halves would be better than last years combination of Prince and Wallace. The 6 is our weakest position, to be remedied in 2015, but this year the fill in's will do well enough for us to push for top 4, can't see us winning the comp this year though.