What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Lolohea Off

TheDMC

Bench
We gotta get Ivan back.

And Foran on a one-year contract.

An actual winger.

And one block busting forward.

Then we sorted.

tangalife

Juniors
I think I should put a disclaimer, Its not like I think Cappy is a GREAT coach. I just don't think there's a point to chop and changing coaches unless it's for Bellamy or Bennett or alike - maybe Ivan.

Any other coach out there won't do any better than McFadden can do

Rich102

Staff member
I don't agree.
Cappy hasn't proved anything other than he can play favorites.
Hurrell worked hard in the off season - for what?
Tui this year proved nothing, other than that he is inconsistent, yet he took up a bench space until, after a talk to Cappy, he suddenly becomes a starter at the expense of a proven player in Ayshford.
We still have this crap about wingers taking hit-ups and then being out of position or too tired to defend. If the forwards can't do their work then get ones who can.
Cappy seems to have assistants for everything, including mentors for his coaching. At some stage he has to take control.
He has a top squad who should be easily able to command a top 6 spot. Yet we aren't seeing the results.
Cappy hasn't proved to me he can coach to an NRL standard.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Because 12, 13 and 14 were such rabbles how can you expect him to turn things around in a snap? How can you expect him to do any good coming in halfway in 2014? You seriously expect a team to make a change from basket case to successful team in one week when the coach is changed? For a rookie NRL coach?.

Just FYI, '13 and '14 look absolutely identical to this one on paper. Check out our win/loss record, points diff, wins during the Origin period etc. So how can we expect the next coach to come in and do any good? And the side McFail inherited from Elliott (shit coach no doubt) had won in NQ two weeks previously and belted someone else I forget. Then won in Melbourne in McFail's 1st game. So they weren't busted.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think I should put a disclaimer, Its not like I think Cappy is a GREAT coach. I just don't think there's a point to chop and changing coaches unless it's for Bellamy or Bennett or alike - maybe Ivan.

Any other coach out there won't do any better than McFadden can do

Toovey would. Maguire may want a change of scenery. Brennan I don't know, but it's not my job to know - it's Doyle's and the Board's. The Walkers are probably too much of a risk for us, and I'd like Morgan but I know I'm in the minority. There's options. Our squad should be such a huge incentive for those guys, even if they do have to live in NZ. If there's no better option than McFail then our CEO has done an awful job. He's seen some level of writing on the wall since this time last year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
But I didn't say that. I said the writing has been partially on the wall with this coach since this time last year and if he hasn't got a contingency in place by now, or is close to one, he's failed.

All the other pieces of the puzzle, the player signings/the marketing/the community stuff whatever...that's great but it falls flat if our coach is rubbish. When he appoints a new coach, whether it is in a month's time or a year's time, that is by a long margin the most important piece of business he will do as our CEO. It is what he will live and die by in terms of his legacy, which I am presuming is fairly important to him as someone who's far from short of a dollar and doesn't have to work.

You're not to know but I have rated Doyle since day one. I'm been a staunch fan. I won't be if we miss the finals and he keeps McFail on, or appoints someone like a Kidwell or the like that also turns out to struggle.

tangalife

Juniors
He's been the only person that's been able to lure big names over here. RTS and Luke wouldn't be here not for him. The rumours about Foran wouldn't exist if Doyle wasn't here.

The guy commands so much respect that he's able to pull bigger strings than any other CEO we've had.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Someones gotta give.
Especially if we do end up with a Foran or a Marshall.
We can't have Lolohea, Lino, Hingano and a Marshall or Foran on our books.

Can see Lino going. I rated him last year, and still think he'd make an adequate, not spectacular NRL player. Hingano is basically screaming ''pick me, pick me!". Theres no doubting Loloheas potential, but can he be a consistent player?

It would be best for his personal development, if 5/8th is HIS for next season, then keep him in reserves in that position. You can't drop Leuluai.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
In regards Cappy

I think he started the season appallingly. If you look past the weekend just gone, what, he won 9 from 11 or something and losing 2 in golden point. I think hes been doing alright - Don't forget he's had a season ending injury to our much publicized star signing fullback, as well as losing Henry for the year early on.

I think getting rid of Hurrell was the right choice, whether it was Cappys or higher up I don't know. Since he went, it kind of turned out season and forgoing the weekend just gone, we've looked very dangerous at times.

Sure I don't agree with some of his calls or his selections, but he hasn't been as terrible recently as he's been made out to be.

For the record, I don't think Cappy will take us to a title.

How will people view him if we do make the 8

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Cappy is saying that Tuis best position is in the halves which I find surprising given Cappy has played him only once there and very briefly.

He goes on to say that Tui was filling a void and that was probably his explanation of keeping Tui at the back for so long and not playing in the halves. However, there was a stage in this season where Tommy obviously wasnt going too good and that was the time that warranted Leiluai a demotion but he didnt, and given Tommys current form, its just as well Cappy didnt.

Tui could earn a recall as well says Cappy but this time as a half. At the moment its hard to see that happening with both SJ and Tommy doing good.

Makes you wonder if Cappy comes on here or his advisers who spend their time browsing the net by looking up forums. Cos now hes saying what some of us believe. Nothing wrong with that but some answers are right in front of your nose.

Tuis still the man, confidence my ass as thats what Cappys "expert opinion" sees as the problem.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/...gain-confidence-by-playing-in-halves-McFadden

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
makes complete sense eh... play a completely different position in a lower grade to develop confidence for first grade...

McFadden is a f**king genius

Not sure why there are so many apologists - we've had one significant long term injury... if he can't make the 8 this year, well, there's nothing to say... Newcastle as a club were never in the race, Parramatta ruled out (and to be fair two of the reasons they were over the cap - Foran and Watmough (when's he here?) did little and nothing respectively). 6 teams have been reasonable, and we are not one of them... yes, we had a good run through the origin period, but we almost always do FFS... they could coach themselves and do this

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Seems like we have a few players who appear to be "filling the void". Here's an idea, identify them early, develop them properly, and then call them up to first grade when they're ready.

cappy loves his job and wants to keep it
he knows if they dont make the 8 hes gone
so hes doing his best to win
sometimes the other teams are just better on the day.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How will people view him if we do make the 8

The same way I'd view him if we didn't. Not up to it. Whether we scrape into 8th (9th) and then bow out, or miss out, it means little difference. The only way I'll view him differently is if we do something like win this weekend, make the 8 then win first week. Otherwise I continue my disdain for his coaching ability.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He's been the only person that's been able to lure big names over here. RTS and Luke wouldn't be here not for him. The rumours about Foran wouldn't exist if Doyle wasn't here.

The guy commands so much respect that he's able to pull bigger strings than any other CEO we've had.

I completely agree with that.

But it doesn't mean shit if we have a crap coach. You could name your 17, pick any bloke out you want for every position. But the teams who win premierships are the best coached ones, or in certain circumstances have the absolute genius No.7s like when Johns carried Hagan to a premiership and JT (although Paul Green can coach, did his apprenticeship under Bennett.)

So yeah, Doyle getting the big names here is wonderful. I hope he does it with Foran, I want Sam Moa etc. But he needs to do with coaches. And if he's such a huge string puller, he'll be able to do that right? If he's so great, he'll recognise there's been a guy in charge for 2.5 years who despite his CEOs big signings, has not been able to advance them.

Coz I would challenge anyone to put a lie detector on, look me square in the eye and tell me Andrew McFadden will one day be a premiership winning coach. It just isn't happening.

JJ

Immortal
If we did get a recovered Foran, I'd wonder about the cap... But IMO we should be red hot premiership favourites but with this coach I doubt we'd be top 4 at the end of the season.

vvvrulz

Coach
Someones gotta give.
Especially if we do end up with a Foran or a Marshall.
We can't have Lolohea, Lino, Hingano and a Marshall or Foran on our books.

Can see Lino going. I rated him last year, and still think he'd make an adequate, not spectacular NRL player. Hingano is basically screaming ''pick me, pick me!". Theres no doubting Loloheas potential, but can he be a consistent player?

It would be best for his personal development, if 5/8th is HIS for next season, then keep him in reserves in that position. You can't drop Leuluai.

Gotta give Hingano a crack surely, it would be dreadful planning if we lost him without even trying him out at first grade.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
anyone watch ressies?

How did Tui go in his preferred spot?

Is he confident yet..thats what was supposed to happen right?