What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Lolohea Off

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
This is honestly not true.

You have to get out of this "me vs the forum" fantasy if you want to be taken more seriously. No hate from me, most of the time we're actually in agreement.
Well I wouldnt feel like "me vs the forum" if I didnt get crucified before.

All good. Im not here to make friends. Just here to share and learn.

ozbash

Referee
Man you guys can't be made happy. Cappy appears damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Everyone gave him a lot of crap for not playing Tui a few weeks ago. Tui fails this weekend for literally the same reasons Cappy dropped him in the first place, and everyone is still mad, this time its a new excuse... "he gets chopped and changed too much" Tui has played, what, the last 15 games at either Winger or Fullback with one game in the 6 jersey - that's hardly chopping and changing going from Wing to Fullback. Fusitua has chopped and changed between Centre, Wing and Fullback in the same amount of games and has performed strongly in practically every game (I think he's only average at fullback though).

The facts are these:

• Our #1 fullback is injured, rest of season. This means the role is going to be filled by someone who doesn't usually play there. This has been Fuistua and Lolohea, both of which don't suit the position properly.

• Leuluai owns the 6 jersey which means Lolohea isn't going to play his preferred position.

• Despite his weaknesses Tui is still quite talented and skilled. A guy like that is always going to make the team somewhere. His weaknesses are not from a lack of confidence, most of the time they bonehead mistakes like stepping out of bounds or being pushed back into in goal on kick return. Lack of confidence mistakes are things like dropped balls or low work rate.

• The coach goes to training, he see's things we don't get to see. HE KNOWS BEST, and any out of the ordinary position selections are likely backed up. Case and point - Lolohea on the bench where McFadden was practically pressured by the public to play him again only for him to fail for the exact reasons he was benched.

Disagree with a lot of this, last year Tui was thrown in the deep end to cover for Pomkins. He started off very badly but got better as the season pregressed.. he couldnt catch a cold, let alone a high ball.
Same this year with the injury to RTS,, same result, started off shit, got better but still a huge defensive liability.

TL is a makeshift 6, he is an out and out hooker . Tui should have been left to learn the position he excelled in, 6. Either in NSW Cup or NRL. Tui is a better 6 than Robson and the Chad.. he just needed the opportunity to prove it.

We agree ! Tui is very talented,,, just not at fullback, wing or centre.

Cappy couldnt coach a wet fart.. the guy is an idiot.

Leber

Bench
I've said all along that tui was a 6. His development as a junior was there and he's been learning to play in the backs ever since.

In a bit concerned how we if he diesbt handle it next year. We've lost leuluai and Robson and signed nobody. I'd like us to buy I fringe Aussie half for cheapish, to compete with hingano and Lolohea for the 6 jersey.

tangalife

Juniors
Fus has been a great fullback, don't know what you're on about there

He's okay, he just makes a far better winger at the moment. His defence needs improving as a fullback. Few times he was easily beaten as the last man defender. I just think he's wasted back there, but we're probably back into a position where he's now our #1 FB with Tui losing the plot.

I think people are forgetting is, we just went on a pretty epic run of not being convincingly beaten.. A few 50/50 results against some good teams, got into the 8. I hate how the coaches head gets asked to roll after one bad game.

Rich102

Staff member
He's okay, he just makes a far better winger at the moment. His defence needs improving as a fullback. Few times he was easily beaten as the last man defender. I just think he's wasted back there, but we're probably back into a position where he's now our #1 FB with Tui losing the plot.

I think people are forgetting is, we just went on a pretty epic run of not being convincingly beaten.. A few 50/50 results against some good teams, got into the 8. I hate how the coaches head gets asked to roll after one bad game.

And after 3 seasons not making the 8?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I hate how the coaches head gets asked to roll after one bad game.

One??? He has a 46% winning record with us. That is in no way deserved of continuing to coach next year. It's the way he's gone about it too, major tinkerer and no overarching plan that any of us can see.

I honestly can't see how anyone can defend McFail. I know we've had injuries this year, and major ones to spine players etc, but there's no sign of consistent, smart footy. If we lose again on the weekend, it's pretty much lights out for our season. If he is reappointed, I'll still be a fan - I just probably won't watch if there's something else to do. I won't be the drop everything and watch fan. It's been a demoralising experience this year to see so many great players poorly coached and organised. I don't care if Jim Doyle says I don't fit the description of a real fan. I love my side but I won't blindly gobble up what they offer, just because that's what fans do. There is a glaring problem with our coaching and if it's not fixed, I presume they want me to do something else with my time.

JJ

Immortal

But you're defending a coach who at the very least has played a significant role in Lolohea "losing the plot". And, by your judgement Fusitua is best on the wing, but now our #1 fullback... yet a few weeks from nowehere McFadden decided Fusitua had to play centre - despite Kata and Ayshford being very consistent all year and Fusitua having been strong at fullback since McFadden similarly out of the blue decided to bench Lolohea, who until then had also been good at fullback...

We all wait with baited breath on this weeks tinkering (if any)

vvvrulz

Coach

I was one of the vocal critics of Fus's defence when he started out at the Warriors, it was downright appalling and I didn't even want to see him ever again in a Warriors jersey. And this was when we had Tomkins as the incumbent, who himself was pretty poor at it.

I wonder if you've seen much of this year though, because his defence improved out of sight and swung entire matches in our favor. I can think of one bad 1-1 miss against the Titans, which was Tui and Bodene's fault anyway, but other than that he's safe as houses under the bomb, positions well, scrambles hard and makes effective covering tackles. He is hands down the best fullback we've had since Locke peaked in 2011, and he's got potential to go better.

vvvrulz

Coach

It was our usual annual origin hike, no more no less. I was impressed with our scraps against Manly and Cronulla, but other than that it's been the usual middling season of edging past teams we should be thrashing and tanking when it really matters. The fact that we're sitting at 9th (10th) with a roster as impressive as ours is just inexcusable.

I might even forgive all this if we could blame injury tolls and the stupid six etc. but the truth is we've fielded nearly full strength sides every week apart from RTS, and the stupid six exclusion was actually one of our few inspired performances. Look at Taranaki in comparison, wtf was that.

McFadden is a nice guy who works hard, but he's an inexperienced coach who doesn't have an accurate gauge on how to position his players and how to get the best out of the team. We should be charging into 5/6 right now, not floundering outside the door.

tangalife

Juniors
Great, lots of responding to do...

And after 3 seasons not making the 8?

Except McFadden hasn't been the coach for 3 seasons. This is his second full season (+ the half he took over from Elliot). 2014 he came in halfway through so scratch that. 2015 was his first year in charge, you can't expect him to turn around the post-Elliott rabble in one season. May I remind how long it took Ivan to get it right?

One bad game?!?!?!

Yeah? Didn't we just go since Round 11 without losing in 80 mins? He's turned this team around from being a 60 minute team to an 80 minute team with fair success on the back half of the season. I didn't know being placed in the top 8 was considered a failure.

But you're defending a coach who at the very least has played a significant role in Lolohea "losing the plot". And, by your judgement Fusitua is best on the wing, but now our #1 fullback... yet a few weeks from nowehere McFadden decided Fusitua had to play centre - despite Kata and Ayshford being very consistent all year and Fusitua having been strong at fullback since McFadden similarly out of the blue decided to bench Lolohea, who until then had also been good at fullback...

We all wait with baited breath on this weeks tinkering (if any)

How has he caused Lolohea to lose the plot?

Yes Fusitua is the best on the wing, but he automatically becomes the #1 fullback because there's literally no one else who can fill the role right now. RTS is injured, and Tui isn't up to it right now. That's what I mean, don't try read to much into it.

Fusitua was shifted to centre since everyone demanded Tui played into fullback, as Fusitua was FB at the time.

Some of you guys expect too much. Its the same drivel year after year. The coach must go the coach must go.

tangalife

Juniors
It was our usual annual origin hike, no more no less. I was impressed with our scraps against Manly and Cronulla, but other than that it's been the usual middling season of edging past teams we should be thrashing and tanking when it really matters. The fact that we're sitting at 9th (10th) with a roster as impressive as ours is just inexcusable.

I might even forgive all this if we could blame injury tolls and the stupid six etc. but the truth is we've fielded nearly full strength sides every week apart from RTS, and the stupid six exclusion was actually one of our few inspired performances. Look at Taranaki in comparison, wtf was that.

McFadden is a nice guy who works hard, but he's an inexperienced coach who doesn't have an accurate gauge on how to position his players and how to get the best out of the team. We should be charging into 5/6 right now, not floundering outside the door.

We've turned into an 80 minute team. You questioned if I watched any games this year but you're missing the plot if you haven't seen the turnaround in our game over the past few weeks.

vvvrulz

Coach
We've turned into an 80 minute team. You questioned if I watched any games this year but you're missing the plot if you haven't seen the turnaround in our game over the past few weeks.

Last week we were a 10 minute team.

Yep 100% we turned our mid-season around, just like every year since Matt Elliott.
We've learnt nothing and gone nowhere.

tangalife

Juniors
I swear if we were the Storm or the Sharks, and lost three or four games a season people would still find something to moan heavily about.

vvvrulz

Coach
If we were sitting at 1 or 2 on the ladder, I'd be singing our praises high and loud mate

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I swear if we were the Storm or the Sharks, and lost three or four games a season people would still find something to moan heavily about.

Give us the option to find out after 5 years of not making the finals.

I know it's an opinion and everyone's entitled to it, but I feel like you're way off on McFadden. You say 2014 doesn't count. Why? McFadden was the assistant in 2013 and 2014. He knew the players, he knew the systems. He was in as good a position as any first-time or new NRL coach could be. We started well under his guidance then fell away. 2015, same stuff. 2016, potentially exactly the same again. It's basically a 14-team comp with the worst NRL side in history and one that was docked 12 points. Yet we can't make the 8??

Then you go on to say how long did it take Ivan? It took Ivan 1 season, after being an assistant himself. So exactly the same situation. He would've made the finals in his first year if not for Mick Watson's dodgy dealings. Had us in the top 4 the season after, and one win off the GF the year after that. Hardly comparable is it? And in terms of basket cases, what do you reckon was worse - Elliott's side of early 2014 or Tony Kemp's 2005 squad? Can happily answer that for you if you're not sure.

Interesting that you also say Fusi was moved from FB because we all demanded Tui go back there. The coach operates that way does he? He makes decisions based on what the public think? Actually yeah, I believe he does - I think he dropped Ayshford because PR-wise it was a no-lose situation. Found out he couldn't drop Tui that easily.

You know why we say sack the coach sack the coach? Because all four since 2011 (Iro, McClennan, Elliott and McFadden) have been f**king useless. McFadden might've been turfed last year if not for our coaching merry-go-round...not for any show of ability, just because we couldn't sack another one. So yeah we'll keep saying it until a coach is decent. I never once said it about Ivan, he was a genius. Course his detractors say he never won a premiership, but gee, enough wins to play finals in 6/7 years, a GF then onto another club where he took them from spoon rabble to 5 mins off a GF? That's a coach. And he's available, he said so this week. Maybe not to us but someone is going to get him.

tangalife

Juniors
Give us the option to find out after 5 years of not making the finals.

I know it's an opinion and everyone's entitled to it, but I feel like you're way off on McFadden. You say 2014 doesn't count. Why? McFadden was the assistant in 2013 and 2014. He knew the players, he knew the systems. He was in as good a position as any first-time or new NRL coach could be. We started well under his guidance then fell away. 2015, same stuff. 2016, potentially exactly the same again. It's basically a 14-team comp with the worst NRL side in history and one that was docked 12 points. Yet we can't make the 8??

Then you go on to say how long did it take Ivan? It took Ivan 1 season, after being an assistant himself. So exactly the same situation. He would've made the finals in his first year if not for Mick Watson's dodgy dealings. Had us in the top 4 the season after, and one win off the GF the year after that. Hardly comparable is it? And in terms of basket cases, what do you reckon was worse - Elliott's side of early 2014 or Tony Kemp's 2005 squad? Can happily answer that for you if you're not sure.

Interesting that you also say Fusi was moved from FB because we all demanded Tui go back there. The coach operates that way does he? He makes decisions based on what the public think? Actually yeah, I believe he does - I think he dropped Ayshford because PR-wise it was a no-lose situation. Found out he couldn't drop Tui that easily.

You know why we say sack the coach sack the coach? Because all four since 2011 (Iro, McClennan, Elliott and McFadden) have been f**king useless. McFadden might've been turfed last year if not for our coaching merry-go-round...not for any show of ability, just because we couldn't sack another one. So yeah we'll keep saying it until a coach is decent. I never once said it about Ivan, he was a genius. Course his detractors say he never won a premiership, but gee, enough wins to play finals in 6/7 years, a GF then onto another club where he took them from spoon rabble to 5 mins off a GF? That's a coach. And he's available, he said so this week. Maybe not to us but someone is going to get him.

Because 12, 13 and 14 were such rabbles how can you expect him to turn things around in a snap? How can you expect him to do any good coming in halfway in 2014? You seriously expect a team to make a change from basket case to successful team in one week when the coach is changed? For a rookie NRL coach?

Looks like I was wrong about Ivan, I thought he took a couple seasons before he made the 8. In any case, his record is only 4% better than McFaddens.

There is absolutely NO POINT in getting a new coach unless its a super coach like Bellamy or Bennett. Which isn't going to happen. Any other coach is not going to make a difference (except for maybe Ivan). If we've gone through 4 coaches and we're still seeing any major success (I don't actually think we're bad right now, we can still make the top 8 and I think we're better than where we actually sit), its time to start asking questioning other areas of the team.

Latest posts