What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF viewing figures

Diesel

Coach
I hope those f**ktards at Nine are scratching their heads thinking how did we lose it and before they start blaming the Sharks and Storm, perhaps start lookup at their poor coverage and that KO was put back by 25 minutes from the advertised time.

Interesting to note that Saturday arvo rates well compared to "prime time tv viewing" on a Sunday night

Jatz15

Juniors
I hope those f**ktards at Nine are scratching their heads thinking how did we lose it and before they start blaming the Sharks and Storm, perhaps start lookup at their poor coverage and that KO was put back by 25 minutes from the advertised time.

Interesting to note that Saturday arvo rates well compared to "prime time tv viewing" on a Sunday night
Saturday arvo over East is Saturday midday in Perth though. A lot of WA people cannot watch the AFL GF because they are at work (I was). So add a minimum of 10% to Perth AFL figures for the timeslot. On the other hand, the NRL GF becomes a Sunday arvo game, not an evening game, I am not sure what effect that would have (I was working again anyway, my job sucks)

Nerd

Bench
Anyone else wonder how in this finals series the VFLs REGIONAL NUMBERS have skyrocketed .
I can't think of any reason why .
Historically they are no where near RL regional figures, yet this year they're on par
I was thinking the same thing.

Reece75

Juniors
Would have thought the Sharkies have gotten way more support being a the only Sydney team in the GF.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Anyone else wonder how in this finals series the VFLs REGIONAL NUMBERS have skyrocketed .
Historically they are no where near RL regional figures, yet this year they're on par

Yeah this one is interesting. Definitely a huge change over the last few years which seems strange. also the NZ rating should be added in it is part of the comp after all.

Before the pre game show, the ANZ intro said get ready for the game and entertainment going out to an audience of over 4 million. That was before kick off.

El Diablo

Post Whore
years of neglect of country footy by the NRL as opposed to the AFL who have been pumping in million$

i am not surprised and it's what the AFL mean when they talk about generational change

insert.pause

First Grade
So head to head summary:

Total Avg AFL 4.089mill NRL 3.733mill
Total peak AFL 6.5mill NRL 4.226mill (this seems a massive difference?)

Avg metro AFL 3.039mill NRL 2.647mill
Avg regional NRL 1.086mill AFL 1.05mill

Sydney Avg NRL 1.059mill AFL 531k
Melbourne Avg AFL 1.446mill NRL 641k
Brisbane Avg NRL 720k AFL
Perth Avg AFL NRL 118k
Adelaide Avg AFL NRL 109k

Positives: more Melbournians tuned into NRl than Sydneysiders to AFL
Solid figures in WA & SA despite very little NRL presence
Solid figures in Brisbane despite no Qland team
Regional NSW prevented a total hammering, again

Negatives: We lost peak and avg overall ratings
Sydney folk aren't as interested in NRL GF as Melbourne folk are in AFL GF by a long shot

anyone find a link to AFL city break down figures? Be interested to see what Brisbane, SA & WA got for AFL GF.
6.5m is reach over the entire day long telecast, not peak for the grand final itself. Nine didn't report a reach figure for its grand final day telecast. It's a pointless measurement because it measures a unique viewer on the basis of minimum of 1 minute viewing, over a day long broadcast its essentially a lot of people channel surfing.

I think regional viewers are down due to nine's affiliate switch from WIN a couple months ago.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach

That's true. The AFL captured about 90% of the TV viewing audience for that slot. They were up against the World News on SBS. The NRL captured 40% up against competitive Sunday night prime time programming.

There's this idea though that if the AFL shifts to an evening slot that a heap of viewers will some how decide to tune in.

But you have to consider -- what is stopping them from tuning in now?

People tune in their millions for a horse race at 3pm on a Tuesday whilst most of them are at work. Why? Because it's an event. You make an effort to specifically tune in for it based on your subjective opinion of the program's appeal.

Only 33% of Australians work on the weekend. It seems like a lot but you have to remember a large portion of that is flexible hours - people choosing what weekends and what hours they want to work (think casual event staff who get their booking week by week, office workers choosing to do over time etc). These are people who that if they wanted to watch the grand final they could easily shift their work commitments around to accommodate it.

You look at people who work weekends with set locked in hours that are the same every week - it's actually 10%. Of that more work on a Saturday afternoon from 12-6pm than on a Sunday night but not that many. A large percentage of that 10% are people in emergency services etc who have to be on standby across potentially any of those shifts. Again though it's not entirely impossible for them to make arrangements to watch the grand final if they deem it more important than work.

The point is if people really want to watch the grand final from 12-6pm on a Saturday afternoon THEY WILL FIND A WAY.

TV Ratings meters don't measure people who would have watched it but didn't bother to make the effort.

So when people say --

A lot of WA people cannot watch the AFL GF because they are at work (I was). So add a minimum of 10% to Perth AFL figures for the timeslot.

It's assuming that pretty much all of those people working would have watched the grand final when we know that out of the wider Australian population only about 17% -- 4 million out of 24 million -- actually tune in.

It's a myth!

Why do TV networks want the Grand Finals in Prime Time?

When the AFL wins 7 the 12-6pm slot what does it do to 9 & 10 advertising revenue for that period? Next to nothing because 9 & 10 aren't attracting a premium for that slot normally.

But when the NRL takes 4 million viewers for 9 on a Sunday Night that's ad money that's being spent at 9 instead of 7 & 10.

The networks want the games during prime time for the ad spends - not the ratings and certainly not for the benefit of the viewers.

And to anyone who might doubt this ask yourself this question: when have the networks ever placed the importance of giving the viewers more access over their ad revenues?

Remind yourself of that when you're complaining about watching a thousand ads during the AFL grand final...

Last edited:
Wasn't it posted on here a few years ago that double counting can't happen

If you are in an area that is covered by REGIONAL & METRO you only have One ratings box .
You are counted as one or the other .
You can't be counted as both

Jatz15

Juniors
Wasn't it posted on here a few years ago that double counting can't happen

If you are in an area that is covered by REGIONAL & METRO you only have One ratings box .
You are counted as one or the other .
You can't be counted as both
I do not think anyone is saying that they are counting 1 box twice, I think the issue is, there is considerable overlap in the postcodes listed as being sampled. So, do you have regions that have boxes from the 2 organisations, each counting their own? If you have postcode xxxx with boxes counted towards metro ratings, and then a separate set of boxes in the same postcode counted towrads regional, this would be double counting.

Latest posts