What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gibbs and fifita to leave at season's end

GIBBS AND FIFITA TO LEAVE AT SEASON'S END

15/06/2011 2:15:16 PM

Wests Tigers has today announced props Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita will leave the Club at the end of this season.
Both players will join Cronulla Sharks for the 2012 season on 3 year deals.
Gibbs was a member of the 2005 premiership winning Wests Tigers team and has played 143 NRL games for the Club.
Wests Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys said that Gibbs would be fondly remembered by Wests Tigers fans as a fierce competitor who always gave 100 per cent commitment to his team-mates and the Club.
“Bryce has been a great servant of Wests Tigers for many years and we wish him and his family the very best for the future,’’ said Wests Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys.
Despite taking up the option for 2012 on Fifita, Wests Tigers decided not to stand in his way of accepting a lucrative offer. Fifita has played 35 games for Wests Tigers.
“It was an extremely difficult decision for the Club to make given Andrew’s development here but it’s a great opportunity for him personally and we could not lose sight of that,” Humphreys said.
“I know Bryce and Andrew are very determined to finish the season strongly and help Wests Tigers make the finals.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...itle=gibbs-and-fifita-to-leave-at-seasons-end

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Oh well, its official now. Good luck to them at their new club. I hope their remaining time at WT is used to best effect. Thanks for the effort and toil.

boo_boo

Juniors
Good sentiments Magpies Forever.
I hope Souths supporters can be just as gratfull to Chris Sandow for his efforts.

Sad day for the Tigers.

When told that you are free to negotiate elsewhere, how else are you to interpret that, other than you're preferably not wanted at the Club at the end of the season?

As such, good on them for securing their futures $ wise.

........Is Blair therefore a certainty?

super_coach

First Grade
People are funny, they want big name signings, but than they scream when we make room for big name signings. You cant have it both ways. This year like many before it we have been pretty average so the club is trying to turn things around in 2012. You have to make hard calls and this is one of them

STG 002

First Grade
Gibbs is ho hum but Fifita is a great player. why has he been allowed to go? who are u buying to take these blokes place. surely not just adam blair?

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Fifita is a little different to Gibbs from what I understand. We weren't looking to release Fifita but the Sharks came along and offered him a motza (having just lost Snowden and Douglas for next year) and we weren't in a position to match. Disappointing as he looks a good player for many years to come but these things happen.

Gibbs on the other hand is a good player with value but I wonder whether we've seen the best of him? I know he's still relatively young and I would have liked to try and keep him but if we get Blair in, plus with Woods continued development (arguably our strongest ball runner up front already) then perhaps it's best for all concerned.

N.C.

Juniors
It's a big call from Fifita if you ask me... Going to Cronulla to play in the front row is like offering to help your quadriplegic grandmother push her broken down 1976 Toyota Crown out of a bog - a very noble thing to do, but aside from that there's not a lot to be gained.

It's a big call from Fifita if you ask me... Going to Cronulla to play in the front row is like offering to help your quadriplegic grandmother push her broken down 1976 Toyota Crown out of a bog - a very noble thing to do, but aside from that there's not a lot to be gained.

We signed Kade Snowden from Newcastle as an overweight prop warming the bench for their N.S.W Cup team.

Playing for us he fixed up his discipline and got fit and became arguably one of the better front rowers going around and earned himself a N.S.W jumper.

So I don't know why you want to throw shyte at our Club.

N.C.

Juniors
We signed Kade Snowden from Newcastle as an overweight prop warming the bench for their N.S.W Cup team.

Playing for us he fixed up his discipline and got fit and became arguably one of the better front rowers going around and earned himself a N.S.W jumper.

So I don't know why you want to throw shyte at our Club.

There are two reasons:

1) Because I can
2) Because you deserve it

Let me know if you require any further explanation...

Alternatively - get your head out of your arse and enjoy the fact that you've just poached a great player (and maybe, just maybe, you should expect a little bit of a ribbing on account of that...)

PS Kade Snowden didn't join your club to fill a vacuum left by Kade Snowden... Perhaps I would view Fifita's departure to the Sharks a little differently if he was heading over there to join an established and credentialed front row - instead of being seen as one of the lynchpins in an all-new fabricated version. He'll be the Milli to Bryce's Vanilli, if you know what I mean...

Last edited:

Borat.

Juniors

$$$$$$$

Interestingly I heard a stat - Our last SOO or Kangaroo prop was blocker roach... ... So aint no bed of roses for a Prop at WT anyway...

R2Coupe

Juniors
He is going for the offer made to him and I wish him the best of luck. Bryce to as he has been a loyal servant of the club.

We can look forward to new changes and apparently a new direction.

I can't wait for Blair to join the club and lead our young forwards, especially BMM.

andrew9148

Juniors
Re Tigers 5 current city country origin forwards (Fulton, Heighington, Dwyer, Galloway, Farah) plus Ellis, Blair, BMM, Woods. Things arent all bad. No full back after this year though.

DanOz

Juniors
Re Tigers 5 current city country origin forwards (Fulton, Heighington, Dwyer, Galloway, Farah) plus Ellis, Blair, BMM, Woods. Things arent all bad. No full back after this year though.

Which is the mystery to me - our forward pack isn't our weakness, fullback (because McKinnon is injury prone + leaving), goalkicker and halfback are the areas we need to address, instead we target the forwards...

nulla boy

Juniors

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....city/country,that's funny.

Why's that funny?

I don't know.

Oh,yes I do.......'cause city/country is crap!

Borat.

Juniors
Which is the mystery to me - our forward pack isn't our weakness, fullback (because McKinnon is injury prone + leaving), goalkicker and halfback are the areas we need to address, instead we target the forwards...

7 = Lui, Moltz , Miller - Plenty of Depth at 7....

If Miller gets in at 7 he solves our Goal kicking issue- though Benji won't let him near the ball....

Shifty has some one else lined up to take Gibbs spot...not Blair Please

DanOz

Juniors
7 = Lui, Moltz , Miller - Plenty of Depth at 7....

If Miller gets in at 7 he solves our Goal kicking issue- though Benji won't let him near the ball....

Shifty has some one else lined up to take Gibbs spot...not Blair Please

Sheens obviously doesnt consider Moltzen a halfback so rule him out of the equation - the question is whether Miller will gat a shot and whether he will succeed.