What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go the Knights

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I have supported my beloved Dragons since 1971 and I am very optimistic about our chances in 2018. I am also a Rugby League lover and with my advancing age I now am able to separate the “forest from the trees”. We need a strong and vibrant competition to survive. It has been crucial to the NRL longevity that the following teams have won the competition in recent years:

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

4. Sharks (oh the pain) – 2016
I am now going to reveal my puerile and vindictive nature; but why has the NRL been so caught up in ensuring the success of the Strom above all other priorities? Is it just me or is everybody else salivating at the demise of the Storm once Smith, Slater and Bellamy retire? All of these men have been amazing contributors to the game; but just retire! I just cannot wait.

This leads me to support one of the Dragons true rugby league rivals….the Newcastle Knights.

I for one hope that this rugby league nursery finally gets it right and returns to prime time. The Hunter is a great sporting region, just like the Illawarra and we have a natural rivalry, built partly on the working class nature of our steel town backgrounds.

It has infuriated me to see NRL HQ support the Storm in preference to the Knights. They have been shafted the last 5 years with the Tinkler/Bennett disaster and are now showing the signs of revival. Let’s be clear Dragon fans…we need a strong Knights. It is good for the game and far better than a corporate waste land like the Storm.

Every time I have flicked over to a Knights game in the last few years there are 10,000 to 15,000 hardy fans supporting them. God love them and we need them. Imagine if the “Corporate Chooks” had performed as poorly as the Knights have these last few years? They would have moved their home games to Henson Park to cater for the 357 supporters who would have attended.

As an aside is it just me who yearns for Nathan Brown to return to the Dragons as head coach?

To wrap it up, I hope the Knights have a ripper of a year and go down in the GF 21-16 to the mighty Dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonhysteria

Juniors
Yeah good luck with that talk on this forum :joy:. The NRL have kept the knights afloat post tinkler and heavily involved in securing the deal with Wests so they haven't abandoned them.

I live in the Newcastle area so I do admit a strong knights team is good for the competition and particularly the rivalry with Saints.

I also can't wait for the Storms demise but they do seem to be well placed player wise in preparation for life after Cronk, Smith and Slater. Not so sure coaching wise, hopefully they poach McGregor.

I also would love Browny to have another crack at coaching glory with the mighty saints.

Dragonbey

Juniors
I have supported my beloved Dragons since 1971 and I am very optimistic about our chances in 2018. I am also a Rugby League lover and with my advancing age I now am able to separate the “forest from the trees”. We need a strong and vibrant competition to survive. It has been crucial to the NRL longevity that the following teams have won the competition in recent years:

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

I am now going to reveal my puerile and vindictive nature; but why has the NRL been so caught up in ensuring the success of the Strom above all other priorities? Is it just me or is everybody else salivating at the demise of the Storm once Smith, Slater and Bellamy retire? All of these men have been amazing contributors to the game; but just retire! I just cannot wait.

This leads me to support one of the Dragons true rugby league rivals….the Newcastle Knights.

I for one hope that this rugby league nursery finally gets it right and returns to prime time. The Hunter is a great sporting region, just like the Illawarra and we have a natural rivalry, built partly on the working class nature of our steel town backgrounds.

It has infuriated me to see NRL HQ support the Storm in preference to the Knights. They have been shafted the last 5 years with the Tinkler/Bennett disaster and are now showing the signs of revival. Let’s be clear Dragon fans…we need a strong Knights. It is good for the game and far better than a corporate waste land like the Storm.

Every time I have flicked over to a Knights game in the last few years there are 10,000 to 15,000 hardy fans supporting them. God love them and we need them. Imagine if the “Corporate Chooks” had performed as poorly as the Knights have these last few years? They would have moved their home games to Henson Park to cater for the 357 supporters who would have attended.

As an aside is it just me who yearns for Nathan Brown to return to the Dragons as head coach?

To wrap it up, I hope the Knights have a ripper of a year and go down in the GF 21-16 to the mighty Dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus.... you sure you dont support the knights. Cause if you do.. but don't get me wrong there's absolutely nothing wrong with that you're just in the wrong forum bud.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

^ looks like someone’s rung gids..

Frank Facer

First Grade
For Rugby League to be a national sport, Melbourne must have a competitive team. I don't know if Rugby League is gaining much of a foothold in Victoria. I doubt if they even play rugby league in Victorian schools. I doubt if they play league in the SA, WA or Tasmanian schools too. Rugby League must attempt have league played in those state's schools. We should have an NRL team in WA very soon. Adelaide would be the next step after that. Building the game in those states is not an easy task. The NRL must have long term plans and inject money to promote the game in those states.

Newcastle is very important to the NRL too. I am sure that there are many non Newcastle fans who would be happy for Newcastle to be premiership force again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For Rugby League to be a national sport, Melbourne must have a competitive team.

spoiler alert:

melbourne-storm-nrl-grand-final_1q9z8jok809b2zi0w9k7dtusd.jpg

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
I am happy to see the knights do well, they can be runner up to the dragons anytime. For the dragons to win we need more than one team in the comp.

Dragons22

Juniors

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

I too have a soft spot for the Knights. But they aren’t my number 1 team. I’d rather have Brown back too! Bring back Brown!

Red V for life

Juniors
While I do have a soft spot for the Knights right now, that will disappear pretty bloody quickly if they touch us up this season.

I’d have Brownie back as coach, but this season will be the litmus test for him. He always had it in him, we just threw him in too soon. We clearly haven’t learned tho. We’ve gone from that to putting someone in charge who didn’t have it in him to begin with.

Sigh

JDHD

Juniors
The Knights have proved over the last three seasons that they have the best fans in the league. To average 15k for the wooden spooner is monumental. We can't even get 8000 to Kogarah for a game v the Titans and we were challenging for the eight at that point.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

Nice post ‘Rob Dragon’.

You had me lock , stock & barrel till you mentioned a return of Brownie.

Don’t get me wrong, Brown was a good servant to the club but l am yet to be convinced he has what it takes to win a crown.

He’s a nice guy but what else does he bring to the table?

Yes, it’s good to have a vibrant Knights, especially in lieu the storm.

I wouldn’t go discounting the storm just yet. They still have some ticker in them, not to mention a dam good coach.... that l admire and detest in equal measurements.

All l can suggest is ..... C’om you Dragons!!!!!

Gareth67

First Grade
I was watching the 2003 match between the Broncos and Dragons up there at Suncorp Stadium , which we won 26-24 thanks to an outstanding goal by Mark 'Piggy' Riddell in the final moments of the match . The absolute spirit and self belief that the players had in themselves was unbelievable - that is what Nathan Brown put into the team .

Yes the Dragons were full of very good footy players in the early 2000's , but that night we were without a few of our shining lights . Still , we went up to the Broncos 'neck of the woods' and showed the mongrels what team spirit was all about - ever so proud to be a Dragon fan that night .

I believe that Brown's time in the E.S.L. has taught him quite a bit and that will be evident this season . More so now with one NRL season under his belt , plus a very good line up of quality players to mix with his younger blokes , they will finish much higher on the ladder than some may expect .

Who knows , we may even meet the beggars come semi time ?

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
Browny keep the team motivated to compete, signed Pearce and Guerra and the bookies have them at $29.00 and STGI at $21.00 for the big one. Hope they get a few more 9 games to see how they go.

Also, really enjoyed playing them when Anscough and Tracey were with us. They never held back.

possm

Coach

1. DRAGONS – 2010

2. Rabbits – 2014

3. Cowboys – 2015

I am happy to wish the Knights all the best for all games except those against the Drgaons.

possm

Coach
I was watching the 2003 match between the Broncos and Dragons up there at Suncorp Stadium , which we won 26-24 thanks to an outstanding goal by Mark 'Piggy' Riddell in the final moments of the match . The absolute spirit and self belief that the players had in themselves was unbelievable - that is what Nathan Brown put into the team .

Yes the Dragons were full of very good footy players in the early 2000's , but that night we were without a few of our shining lights . Still , we went up to the Broncos 'neck of the woods' and showed the mongrels what team spirit was all about - ever so proud to be a Dragon fan that night .

I believe that Brown's time in the E.S.L. has taught him quite a bit and that will be evident this season . More so now with one NRL season under his belt , plus a very good line up of quality players to mix with his younger blokes , they will finish much higher on the ladder than some may expect .

Who knows , we may even meet the beggars come semi time ?

Yes, yes, yes but Brown had for a few years one of the top rosters in the competiting and still could not win a GF.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes, yes, yes but Brown had for a few years one of the top rosters in the competiting and still could not win a GF.
And how many games did we have our best 13 on the paddock when Brown was coaching us from 04 to 06?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
My
Very true POSSM but me thinks he's improved since those days it was after all 15 yrs ago a lot of water under the bridge since then
Very true POSSM but me thinks he's improved since those days it was after all 15 yrs ago a lot of water under the bridge since then
I think BROWNY might be the type to learn from experience MARY .well you make up your own mind

Gareth67

First Grade

Overseas dragon has just about said it all Possum me ole mate , except that in 2005 the Premiership was ours for the taking . The only thing was that the Tigers had other ideas about that , more so their coach Tim Sheens , who could certainly teach new tricks to a performing monkey at a circus !

Why we never signed him when we had the chance instead of the clown we have now , still has me baffled ?

Latest posts