What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold coast Dolphins

dizi

Juniors
Yes it is true that Redcliffe don't own the name Dolphins, my point is that the Gold Coast team has taken the easy option and choosen an name that already has credibility as a strong footy club, which has come about through a lot of hard work by the Redcliffe organisation . It's the same as starting a basketball club called the Lakers for example.

mud n blood

Juniors
1. when they ran the poll, they only provided 3 options - Dolphins, gladiators, or Pirates .... all stolen from successful clubs.

2. I'm with you Dizi - yes, the Dolphin has a "success" already attached to it, as did Gladiators (Diehards), and the Pirates.

3. Gold coast dolphins was also the baseball side until they were bought by that jap mob and changed to the Daikyo Dolphins.

4. Oxenham - hollandia ! :lol: Didn't think people here had even heard of that. as a kid I went to the Ekka grounds to see some final between Hollandia and Azzurri, and the ref walked before halftime as a player stink surged into the fence and people jumped down to join in. :lol:

5. everyone here knows my thoughts on Reddy - however, it would be a travesty if this got up using the Dolphin name. I would not support it in any way. Go the Central Coast .... which is who I think should be in anyway.

6. No Gold coast based side in any national sport has been successful. The demographics do not support it.

7. If we want a second side here, it has to be in Brisbane.

8. That's my rant for the day ....

9. see 8 ....

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
mud n blood said:
5. everyone here knows my thoughts on Reddy - however, it would be a travesty if this got up using the Dolphin name. I would not support it in any way. Go the Central Coast .... which is who I think should be in anyway.

hmm thought you didnt support the nrl, so why would you give a shite who gets in or what they are called? or is that talk about not liking the nrl all shite...im guessing you are a closet supporter of the nrl...but of course you will say you arent...good on ya bud :roll:

your talking outta ya arse again mud to try and justify something...tell the facts mate, dont tell half the story just because it suits you bud.

heres the results of the survey and the names they had to choose from

Results:
Dolphins 21%
Pirates 11.7%
Titans 11.2 %
Gladiators 10%
Mariners 8%
Chargers less than 5%
Cyclones
Seagulls
Bulls Buccaneers
Giants

mud n blood

Juniors
where did that come from ? I have a story here from the Bulletin only quoting those three.

Yes XXXX - 21% majority :lol:

oxenham

Juniors
Do the Surfers Paradise Pirates exist in any form?
For the memories, other soccer clubs were Polonia Hellenic Bardon-Latrobe...they used to have a collection of all Brisbane Sporting Clubs around the late 60s early 70s. :lol:Back then hardly anyone played the game.

Big Tommy

Juniors
Look, I'm not sure about this trademark thing.

Sure you cannot copyright a universal name like the "Dolphin" but I think you could trademark the name as it relates to rugby league. I'm not a patent lawyer but I read an article a couple of weeks back about how Cadbury have taken a trademark on the colour purple.

Effectively this does not mean that they own a universal colour in purple, but that other chocolate producers are not able to use predominant purple in their packaging or they infringe on Cadbury's trademark.

Some interesting stuff in this and if I was Redcliffe I would not have relied on some information from the 1970's but as soon as I heard the proposed new franchise was looking at this name (it was after all in the Sunday paper a couple of months back), consulted a patent lawyer. It still may not be too late!

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
who knows the proud club of the coogee dolphins could be in the process of trademarking the 'dolphins'...then redcliffe would be screwed hey.

its just a name...why the f**k cant there be more than one dolphins team in rugby league...theres a thousand tigers and magpie teams around, what happens if one of these teams decide to trademark the tigers or magpies? maybe a new junior club might take up the tigers emblem and decide they want to trademark the name...then all these clubs with a proud tradition, possibly even more so than the redcliffe dolphins have to change their name.

i know you guys are hardcore qld league...but boy do you say some stupid things sometimes...think with your head not your heart.

bender

Juniors
Dirty Hoe said:
theres a thousand tigers and magpie teams around, what happens if one of these teams decide to trademark the tigers or magpies?

Yeah.... but Easts and Souths are the only ones that really have any sort of decent tradition.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Chargers is clearly the best name.

I support GC getting the 16th slot but I'm not happy about them using the Dolphins mascot. That should be reserved solely for Redcliffe because they have the financial resources to get into the NRL eventually, within the next 10-15 years.

Then again the NRL have never had any foresight.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Chargers is clearly the best name.

I support GC getting the 16th slot but I'm not happy about them using the Dolphins mascot. That should be reserved solely for Redcliffe because they have the financial resources to get into the NRL eventually, within the next 10-15 years.

Then again the NRL have never had any foresight.

eventually says it all :roll: :lol:

Kingytek

Juniors
Roosterphin said:
How do the rest of you feel about them using Redcliffes logo.

To me I think it is disgraceful. Reddy have been around for ages and there are plenty of other names they could have used. Now what will happen if Redcliffe were to try and enter the NRL?

Your thoughts?

It's an animal!!!! Get over it champ. Do you have to think twice if you cant see why GC would choose an Dolphin as it's mascot. They wont be entering the nrl, not now, not ever

mightybears

Bench
the trademark issue hangs on "the market" it could be argued that as the redcliffe dolphins are in the same market as the gold coast bid, [for sports fans/leagues fans in se queensland] it may be the case they can stop em using it

the richlands lions took an out of court settlement and are know cashed up for the new asa soccer comp