What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast on Agenda

dimitri

First Grade
and the dragons

of course beat the sharks

once in the premiership

(and once in a trial)

thats.......................................................................TWICE

:eek:

Simo

First Grade
Just about every thread has this same crap by the same group of people. We all know exactly what the Sharks people will say and exactly what the dragons people will say.

Either come up with something original or lets get over it for a change and concentrate on the topic.

I agree with Impelliteri, Mr Rudd has got to be John Ribot under a different name!

Bring the Gold Coast in but dont cull any teams, we must learn from the past!

tdcockers

Juniors
enough reading, time for me to weigh in on this arguement.

i think there is one issue that noone has looked at specifically - 'local' derbies.

they are traditionally the most hyped, best attended games in the premiership (outside finals and origin). i think we need to do some sort of matching, to create a type of competiton within the competition.

Cronulla - Dragons
Easts - Dogs
Auckland - Wellington
Brisbane - Gold Coast - North Qld
Penrith - Parra
Melbourne - Adelaide (Might be drawing a long bow, but i doubt victoria could support 2 teams just yet)
Newcastle - Central Coast
North Sydney

i realise this is not ideal pairings, but it is at least an idea. 16 teams in total. to be honest, i think the nrl is in a bit of a predicament at the moment - they cannot increase the number of sides very far without going to a multiple division setup like the NFL, but there is probably not widespread enough support to set up two distinct divisions (for want of a better word).

just so everyone knows, my allegience is to the storm. i disagree that mark is mr ribot, mr ribot comes up with *some* good ideas, like getting AFL people who cant bear to support collingwood to support the storm.

let the flames begin....

Simo

First Grade
tdcockers,

Yeah local derbies are great for the game and the NRL except this year has tried to start the comp with all local derbies. This may have changed so there can be one every few weeks as opposed to all of them at the start of the year.

As for Ribot, i guess the idea was good for Victorians to support the Storm but Ribot probably has no pull at all in Victoria and the AFL crowd i doubt will even know who he is.

He was also the man who said for the Storms crowds to grow they would need to move to a bigger stadium. Off to Colonial they went, down goes the atmosphere with less people, money gone and back to Olympic park they end up with a smaller core (by about 2,000 if memory serves me) than when they left.

Im sorry, but in my opinion everything Ribot does just seems to go bad, good idea or not. Maybe its how he does things or maybe its just the memory of his biggest stuff up that clouds my judgement about him.

iggy plop

First Grade
I think he has done well as boss of the Storm. The arrangement with Brisbane Norths has proved a winner and the club has been competitive every year. The NRL must now help with junior development in Victoria.

Special K

Coach
Dimi look at the records of Sharks/Dragons games. You one twice..Whooo!!!

Anyway I see Manly relocating..But if they don't and the Bears come back on the coast. Look out. A Bears/Manly match would sell out in minutes on the CC.

Once Dead

Bench
Simo said:
tdcockers,

Yeah local derbies are great for the game and the NRL except this year has tried to start the comp with all local derbies. This may have changed so there can be one every few weeks as opposed to all of them at the start of the year.

As for Ribot, i guess the idea was good for Victorians to support the Storm but Ribot probably has no pull at all in Victoria and the AFL crowd i doubt will even know who he is.

He was also the man who said for the Storms crowds to grow they would need to move to a bigger stadium. Off to Colonial they went, down goes the atmosphere with less people, money gone and back to Olympic park they end up with a smaller core (by about 2,000 if memory serves me) than when they left.

Im sorry, but in my opinion everything Ribot does just seems to go bad, good idea or not. Maybe its how he does things or maybe its just the memory of his biggest stuff up that clouds my judgement about him.

Ribot has nearly always been about the dollar......nearly all the issues the Broncos had with the ARL a few years after their inception stemmed from Morgan and Ribot thinking 'commercially' and not thinking about football......money has always seemed to be the bottom line for Ribot.....fact is, the football is the key to the money.....and not vice versa.....

What we actually need that we don't have atm is:

2nd NZ team
Perth
Adelaide
Sth Qld/GC team
Central Coast

That's 5 teams to take us up to 20.

But this isn't going to happen oevernight. In fact i can't see ALL these teams getting in within the next decade unless something drastic happens.

The core of expansion actually lies with FOX. Why? Because they pay a shitload of money for rights, and this is where a lot of the NRL's money comes from. One of the problems with adding a 16th team is that the other 15 teams don't wanna give up part of their share of the NRL's Grant Pie to support this new team. BUT, if the next offer to come from FOX is larger (due to them thinking the NRL plays a major role in their programming) then the extra 3.25m might be able to be found to support another team.

What about relocation? Well, obviously this should only be done when the team willingly does it. Why they would I don't have a clue but you never know.

One of the biggest hurdles for this Gold Coast bid is trying to get Carrara Stadium upgraded. The Queensland State Government has copped a lot of flack over 'Sandcorp' Stadium and would cop even more if they committed tax-payer funded money to another stadium.

Simo

First Grade
Up the mighty Phins said:
One of the biggest hurdles for this Gold Coast bid is trying to get Carrara Stadium upgraded. The Queensland State Government has copped a lot of flack over 'Sandcorp' Stadium and would cop even more if they committed tax-payer funded money to another stadium.

Apparently they have approval to upgrade Carrara if the Coast gets an NRL licence. At least this is what i read in one of the articles about the group trying to get the license.

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't think the short comings of the Lang park upgrade are relevant to the voters on the Gold Coast.

My understanding is that the Qld state government will match contributions and the Gold Coast backers have deep pockets. Additionally, the local council is right behind it and are willing to throw in some dough as well. Money is not a problem.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Willow said:
I don't think the short comings of the Lang park upgrade are relevant to the voters on the Gold Coast.

My understanding is that the Qld state government will match contributions and the Gold Coast backers have deep pockets. Additionally, the local council is right behind it and are willing to throw in some dough as well. Money is not a problem.

The last Gold Coast team still has money in the bank as well.

Adelaide/Perth is a must.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the Gold Coast team should be called the 'Coastal whatevers' and play most of their games at Carrara BUT play maybe 3 or 4 games a Lang Park.

It is not far from GC now with the New road. It would meanthey would pick up the 'Brisbane I hate the Broncos crowd'. It would really establish a rivalry not just based on GC V Bris but US V Anyone especially Broncos.

It would help rally the Broncos fans and rally the other league and sporting public that are not fond of the Broncs now.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think more than a 16 team competition in this country is too many. There's just not enough money or support for a single competition to really enable more than 16 teams.

Plus I think 14-16 teams is a good, concise number. The AFL seems quite strong with a 16 team competition, and covers WA, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD. The NRL still has some work to do as we only cover QLD, NSW(&ACT), VIC and NZ. There is plenty of potential in SA and WA but just throwing teams in is not the answer.

I think there are a couple of Sydney based teams that are potentially on their last legs. If you look at the AFL, there are 10 VIC based teams, while the NRL has 11 teams within the NSW & ACT region in a 15 team competition. However, outside of VIC, the AFL only needs two teams in both WA and SA, then one each in NSW and QLD. Comparing this setup with the NRL, outside of NSW (&ACT), there are basically five "states" we can cover, which are QLD, NZ, VIC, WA and SA. Because the new Gold Coast franchise is gaining momentum, we'd most likely see three QLD teams. That leaves one each for NZ, VIC, WA and SA, meaning two would have to be "chopped" from the NSW/ACT area to make a 16 team competition.

One thing that makes that even more tricky is the Central Coast prospect. If this went ahead, the NRL would have to either cull or move three Sydney-based clubs, or make it an 18 team competition. Considering that the original unified competition pushed very strongly for a 14 team competition in 1998, this is probably unlikely.

So instead of culling teams, the franchises could be moved. I think Manly needs to stay because of the region. Souths would probably be first in line to move, perhaps to become the Southern Rabbitohs (SA). The Cronulla region could be absorbed by existing Sydney clubs, possibly even Manly, hence maybe a Central Coast Sharks. I don't think Penrith and Parramatta should merge because they are two huge, seperate regions. However the Tigers could be a possibility - the Dragons, Penrith, Parramatta or even Bulldogs would be fine options for Tigers juniors. Which would mean the Wests Tigers would probably become the Western Tigers (WA). That would leave us with potentially the following competition:

Sydney Roosters
Canterbury Bulldogs
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
Manly Sea Eagles
St. George/Illawarra Dragons
Central Coast Sharks
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Chargers
North Queensland Cowboys
Melbourne Storm
New Zealand Warriors
Western Tigers (Perth)
Southern Rabbitohs (Adelaide)

The only remaining problem posed here is the amount of time it would take for the new teams to reach their potential. The existing clubs, particularly the Sydney-based ones, would probably be very strong for a period.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The thing is that the teams established in Perth & Adelaide were vicitms of News Ltd & the ARL's compromise agreement. Then again, if Super League hadn't come along at all, I'd say that Perth (Adelaide was created for Super League) would be quite strong today.

Perth had successfully hosted NSWRL/ARL club games in the past, has a great climate for football & a large base of ex-pats from South Africa & the UK that would've relished the chance to watch a "decent" game, rather than the "foreign" game that is Aussie Rules. The Reds attracted good crowds at the WACA & all that was needed was time.

The AFL pumped millions of dollars into Sydney & NSW before seeing the return it's had since 1996 when they made the Grand Final. That "overnight success" took something like 22 years to eventuate. It seems that every time the governing bodies of Rugby League settle on long term goals they then shift them to focus on something else. Firstly it was expansion, then culling teams, next it was broadening the international aspect of footy & now it seems like they want to cut back on international league. No wonder we don't know what's going on...

I think 20 teams could have worked. There wouold possibly have been some natural attricion. This then would have been the opportunity that the ARL would've had to relocate a team to the Central Coast or Gold Coast or whatever. When teams are culled or forced to merge, that's when the bitterness sets in & fans turn their back on the game.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Southernsaint said:
If only Seagulls wasn't a carpark or shopping centre, or whatever it is now...

Cheers,
Ben S.

The area where Seagulls Stadium used to be is now home to several houses.

Sounds the Gold Coast bid have most bases covered. Now the hard part for them is to convince the NRL that they should be a part of the competition.

dimitri

First Grade
The thing is that the teams established in Perth & Adelaide were vicitms of News Ltd & the ARL's compromise agreement. Then again, if Super League hadn't come along at all, I'd say that Perth (Adelaide was created for Super League) would be quite strong today.

Perth had successfully hosted NSWRL/ARL club games in the past, has a great climate for football & a large base of ex-pats from South Africa & the UK that would've relished the chance to watch a "decent" game, rather than the "foreign" game that is Aussie Rules. The Reds attracted good crowds at the WACA & all that was needed was time.

The AFL pumped millions of dollars into Sydney & NSW before seeing the return it's had since 1996 when they made the Grand Final. That "overnight success" took something like 22 years to eventuate. It seems that every time the governing bodies of Rugby League settle on long term goals they then shift them to focus on something else. Firstly it was expansion, then culling teams, next it was broadening the international aspect of footy & now it seems like they want to cut back on international league. No wonder we don't know what's going on...

I think 20 teams could have worked. There wouold possibly have been some natural attricion. This then would have been the opportunity that the ARL would've had to relocate a team to the Central Coast or Gold Coast or whatever. When teams are culled or forced to merge, that's when the bitterness sets in & fans turn their back on the game.

Cheers,
Ben S.

i agree

both perth and adelaide were making excellent progress

adelaide in only one season had a large core support group
moved from adelaide oval to hindmarsh stadium and was looking at a successful future

perth came into the league in 1995 with 3 other new teams, they had a fair amount of on field success and had started producing some local juniors

they had a growing core support group

and I believe would have been much more successful if given a chance and if they were playing at a rectangle shaped stadium

Dogs Of War

Coach
dimitri said:
and I believe would have been much more successful if given a chance and if they were playing at a rectangle shaped stadium

That's what Melbourne needs, the crowd seems to be a bit far from the action, looks similar to the showground as a venue. Bring the fans closer to the action and I reckon the crowds would increase. Can anything (or is anything) being down in relation to this?

Latest posts