What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great moments in Rugby League: 1993 season review!!!

Southernsaint

Staff member
1993 - Saints saved their worst game of the season for the Grand Final :evil:

Cheers,
Ben S.

matt81

Juniors
Remember the field goal Terry Lamb kicked for the Canterbury Bulldogs that year against the Newcastle Knights at Belmore Sports Ground. The score was Newcastle 12 Canterbury 10 with only a few minutes left in the game and Terry Lamb kicked a field goal for the Bulldogs which made the score Newcastle 12 Canterbury 11 and Newcastle won by 1 point and after the game Terry Lamb said he thought the score was 10 all when he kicked the field goal, you should have seen the looks on all the other 25 players on the field, they were all thinking what the hell is Terry Lamb doing. The big crowd at the game was also shocked all the Canterbury fans were annoyed after the game and so were some of the Bulldogs players but no one from Newcastle was complaining at all. What a silly thing Terry Lamb did that sunny Sunday afternoon at Belmore Sports Ground. It is one field goal i will never ever forget.

matt81

Juniors
Ah 1993 what good times they were for rugby league we still had rugby league on free-to-air tv on Saturday afternoons on abc tv at 3:00pm "live" we still had the cold coast, north sydney bears, balmian tigers, western suburbs magpies, illawarra steelers and we had no north qld cowboys or nz warriors or melbourne storm and games were still being played at belmore sports ground and north sydney oval but i reckon the only thing that has changed and got better is the tv coverage because in 1993 all we got was 1 friday night football game on tv ch.9 at 8:3pm , 1 saturday afternoon game on abc tv at 3:00pm "live" and 1 hours hights on sunday nights at 6:30pm on ch. 9 now all the games are televised either delayed by 1 hour on ch. or "live" and delayed on fox sports and all games are shown in full no highlights.

Schillaci

Juniors
Godz Illa said:
It was also the year that Tallis rampaged all over the Dogs in the major semi, inspiring that immortal line from the great Rabs Warren: "Oh Tallis! Somebody stop him - he'll run out of the stadium!!!!!!!!" Precious memories.

think it was actually alan cann

I remember Canberra were a shadow of their former selves without Ricky Stuart. People talk in the modern day game of the Knights form without Joey, the Raiders were an awesome side back then but without Ricky they capitulated.

One of the funniest things I've seen on a footy field happened in the Dragons Bulldogs Semi. A scrum packed down near the Dogs 22, with Nathan Brown at Hooker for the Dragons, with his long blonde surfer hairdo. A bit of a scuffle breaks out after the scrum had been won, at first it was unclear what was had happened, and none of the officials had picked up on anything. Then a head-on replay was shown....

Robert Relf, packing down in the second row for the Doggies decided he was gonna take matters into his own hands. Packing in on the right, he winds up his free right arm like he's going for a strike at ten-pin bowling, and unloads the uppercut from hell between his front row, and right on the face of one Nathan Brown. Brownie's head recoils right out the top of the scrum like when Kennedy got shot, with his long blonde hair flying all over the place.

I was pissed off at the time, but pissing myself laughing as well. What cunning from Relf, and what skill to land a punch from behind the backsides of his front rowers. I'm sure he told them what he was gonna do, so they could make room for what's comin Brownies way.

I'd kill to see footage of that again, does anyone else remember it?

ByRd

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Yeah I remember that it was on Easter Monday, and I think Tulsen Tollet or Buettner scored their only try.

The Eels were no match for Canterbury :cry:
i believe you have your wording wrong, its not "were" no match for Canterbury, its meant to be "The eels ARE no match for Canterbury" ;-)

Perth Tiger

Bench
You are right bout Ricky Stuart, he got injured in our 68-0 romp last in the year, and that was the end of Canberra - went from one of the top 2 or 3 sides to absolutely nothing.

I was at that game and you could hear Stuart's screaming from the grand stands

mongoose

Coach
The raiders were looking red hot before stuart got injured. I think we were undefeated for like 10 games. Brisbane and st george could consider themselves lucky.

miănfèinàn

Juniors
Down to the final 2 rounds, and Canterbury and St George were dominating the 1993 season, the met in Round 21 at the SCG in which the Dragons won an entertaining game 23-8. But for the Raiders their season was thrown into turmoil, after Ricky Stuart injured his leg against Parramatta, Stuart was later sidelined for the season, despite recording the Raiders recording their biggest win, 68-0.
I have no memories of that game, but know enough for an obvious explanation of how Canberra could win sixty eight to nil: that Parramatta were so woefully weak in the hooker position that Steve Walters could do as he pleased with them every time they met. The Eels had Peter McPhail, a utility forward, playing hooker and halfback Tulsen Tollett probably played dummy half but would have been no match for Walters.

I have seen a little footage of that game on YouTube (it’s because of the score a game I want to find footage of) yet one does not see Steve Walters demolishing the Eels in what footage does exist.

Still, no win of that size in any other sport I know could have so obvious an explanation, apart from the days of uncovered pitches in cricket where a team bats for a day and catches the opposition on a wicket drying in hot sun after rain.
Yeah - I remember that year

Ricky Stuart got injured near the end of the season and I don't think Canberra won another game.

Trevor Schodel couldn't quite fill Ricky's boots
One is tempted to ask why the Raiders even kicked down further after losing Stuart against the Eels yet were hopeless against the better sides. I think Tim Sheens knew of the Eels’ woeful hooker weakness (it persisted over ten semi-regular players between the retirement of Edge and the recruitment via Super League defection of Aaron Raper) so thoroughly that he never believed they would do anything against a team competent at dummy half without Stuart’s direction and skill in moving the ball.

The Raiders’ tries against the Eels, insofar as I have seen, came from simply running over the Eels, who lacked international props Paul Dunn and Mark Horo. They were never going to do that against Canterbury: Stuart would have slaughtered them as he did in the 1994 Grand Final but Schodel could not bomb and the Bulldogs were impossible to beat without that weapon.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Really weird seeing a post that I wrote but I don't remember at all, and then realise that I wrote it 9 years ago...

Diesel

Referee
That was a good read, brought back good memories.

Was '93 the year when 2 points separated 1-5 and they were calling it the closest finals series ever, yet most games had a 13+ margin which was huge at the time

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
And there hasn't been a back to back Premiership team ever since. 20 years.

How the mighty have fallen. Now neither St. George or Brisbane can play.

Latest posts