What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg to become deputy NRL CEO in management restructure

aussie7798

First Grade
Oh dear.

It really is troubling reading some of the comments.

It's why someone like Hadley is so dangerous.

Maybe we can get that sharkobsessed twitter guy to mount some campaign against that useless self kmportant arsewipe who thinks the volume of his arguement is more important than its content

Cammo

Bench
Maybe we can get that sharkobsessed twitter guy to mount some campaign against that useless self kmportant arsewipe who thinks the volume of his arguement is more important than its content

Someone should bombard his feedback option on the 2gb website

The guy is a tool

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Thats a point worth remembering when comparing this management to the previous. I'm no Gallop fan but there is no denying that the ARLC has a lot more money to play with then Gallop ever had.
While I agree the resources he had were limited, in my opinion though it was caused by his lack of ability to drive the last TV deal up to a reasonable standard. The game had to run on an oily rag because he didn't choose to sell the game properly.

franklin2323

Immortal
F**k what the telegraph says. On the train on the way home Smith was on MMM :)lol::lol: suck that Hadley). He explained himself well. He wants to not outsource a single thing so got people with experience in certain fields to take over.

Said budgets & KPI's in place now Greenberg & co need to get to (eg Memberships, crowds up) while staying under budget something Gallop never did. He will oversee the whole thing.

Also said he wont talk for every little problem. If there's an issue with the refs Greenberg will talk etc. Major issues he will speak. Much like how a major company works.

F**k what the telegraph says. On the train on the way home Smith was on MMM :)lol::lol: suck that Hadley). He explained himself well. He wants to not outsource a single thing so got people with experience in certain fields to take over.

Said budgets & KPI's in place now Greenberg & co need to get to (eg Memberships, crowds up) while staying under budget something Gallop never did. He will oversee the whole thing.

Also said he wont talk for every little problem. If there's an issue with the refs Greenberg will talk etc. Major issues he will speak. Much like how a major company works.

Thank f*ck for that.

It was quite frankly embarrassing watching gallop trot out for every single small event.

chigurh

Geez it's pleasing to have a true professional in charge. Finally.

Love the shunning of the DT halfwits and Hadley, their blood pressure seems to be boiling right now.

donkey|rope

Juniors
great article richard hinds. thank f**king christ of fairfax. the only source of news that isn't polluted with news/hadley's ridiculous agendas and axe grinding.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ght-of-the-bigger-picture-20130423-2ic96.html

"Radio's frothing attack dog Ray Hadley laid into Smith with the subtlety of a rhinoceros playing a harpsichord. He branded Smith a D-grade administrator and described his promotional plans as "a wank". Others had bemoaned Smith's failure to spend his time answering the calls of journalists demanding a daily discourse on every breaking story. As if the commission had employed a generously renumerated switchboard operator."

Matchball

Bench
Hadley is nothing but a fart in the wind. Yes he lingers and stinks up the place but he dissipates soon enough.

Cancer couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hadley, Ritchie, Rothfield and co can't handle the fact they've become obsolete

especially with the NRL starting to set up their own media unit

the FIN reported the other week they were going to hire 40 writers for it

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well Gus Gould is a fan

Welcome to the new era for rugby league
by PHIL GOULD -
1. NRL restructure long overdue
Change has been in the winds for some time. However, the announcement by NRL chief Dave Smith of the total rebuilding of the game's management structure came as a breath of fresh air to all who have been involved in rugby league over the past two decades. It's the most positive step I've seen from a rugby league leader since the days of John Quayle running the Australian and NSW Rugby Leagues in the 1980s and '90s. These decisions would not have been possible without the game having gained its independence from media ownership and the establishment of the ARL Commission. These people have been working tirelessly behind the scenes for the past 14 months to identify where the game should be headed. Smith was recruited to get us there. Welcome to the new era for rugby league.

Advertisement

2. Dave Smith has total support of clubs
I don't believe reports in the media in the last few days that some clubs in the league have been unhappy with the performance of new chief executive Dave Smith. He has been in the job for two months and you will remember that on day one, he was swamped with the Crime Commission report and Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority allegations involving clubs and players. Despite the vast array of matters with which he has had to deal, I must say that communication and transparency from Smith to the clubs has been better than ever. I'm sure I speak for all NRL clubs when I say Dave Smith has our total support. The same goes for our ARL commissioners.

3. I would love to ask Dave Smith one question
The one question I would love to hear honestly answered from Dave Smith is how he's really rated the rugby league administration he has been handed. Smith has been diplomatic when it comes to queries on how he views the state of the game and the people overseeing its operations, marketing and development. From his business background perspective though, I would love to know what he really thinks. Sometimes it's not what people say that counts; the truth is in what they don't say. We all know the previous NRL chief executive David Gallop was lauded and protected by the media company who appointed him. The real mark of the chief executive though should be in the structure, culture, capability and expertise of the administration he leaves behind. I wonder if the administration Smith has inherited would measure up to real-world corporate standards. I would love a forensic audit of NRL operations over the past decade. I sense Smith would politely decline to answer such a question. Perhaps the restructure announcement on Tuesday is a sufficient answer.

4. Greenberg and Doyle are great appointments
Canterbury boss Todd Greenberg has been appointed to the position of NRL head of football. Former businessman and NZRL boss Jim Doyle will take on the role of NRL chief operations officer. These are two great men to be recruited for such vital roles in our game. In the case of Greenberg, finally we have someone in at head office with actual experience in working at the coalface in an NRL club and an understanding of the real challenges our clubs face on a daily basis. Greenberg will be well aware that the warm and fuzzy ''state of the game'' addresses handed out by previous NRL management were simply exercises in self-promotion rather than an accurate reflection of what was really happening out in clubland. It won't be easy for Greenberg and Doyle to make everyone happy, but at least clubs will now know those making decisions will have a real knowledge of life on the streets for clubs, players and fans.

© 20

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...-new-era-for-rugby-league-20130423-2icws.html

El Diablo

Post Whore
We all know the previous NRL chief executive David Gallop was lauded and protected by the media company who appointed him.

the muppet still is being lauded by those same deadshits

Diesel

Referee
Those merkins at News, and I mainly mean the "expert RL journos for the DT" will be hating this. Everyone else is saying how positive it is while they'll be up late with a brainstorming plan on how to put a negative twist in this.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thank f*ck for that.It was quite frankly embarrassing watching gallop trot out for every single small event.

Exactly refs will stuff up. Thats when Greenberg faces the music. Smith's role is to make sure departments are under budget & make KPI.

If there is a major announcement eg Sponsorship, TV Smith speaks

You don't get the boss of QANTAS on tv every time a plane is late. A strike or something is different.

adamkungl

Immortal
How the hell is this guy 'embattled'? Because Ray Hadley tells us so?

Classic example of media manipulation. The media doesn't like someone. So they come out and say that everyone doesn't like him, that he's under pressure, etc. Then suddenly the peons of the world who don't have a brain go 'wow! He's under pressure! Thank god I listen to Raaaaay or I'd assume he was doing a good job!'.

And another thing, how the f**k does anyone on here claim to know if hiring him was a good or bad move. I have no earthly idea of whether or not it was. Nor does anyone here. The only ones who think they do are the idiots who still think it's 1967 and that we should have appointed someone from within the football fraternety. Lets whack Mark Geyer or Freddy Fittler in there and see how well they go?

How on earth you can judge a man 6 rounds into his first season in the job when we've already seen things like record crowds baffle me. Yes, the City/Country ticket situation was a f**kup. But it's not like he was personally sitting in his office going 'hmmmm.... $50. Yeah. That'll do. Get the CRL on the line'.

[/rant]

*applause*

Oh dear.

It really is troubling reading some of the comments.

It's why someone like Hadley is so dangerous.

The comments on the DT... christ almighty there are some stupid f**kers out there.