What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould / Anthony Griffin.

If that’s true it’s another failure of management.

Imagine if we had of limped into 8th spot twice & then automatically given him an extension?! Griffin didn’t even have a FG gig when we signed him, he’s in no position to put in demands like that.

OldPanther

Coach
If that’s true it’s another failure of management.

Imagine if we had of limped into 8th spot twice & then automatically given him an extension?! Griffin didn’t even have a FG gig when we signed him, he’s in no position to put in demands like that.

The club definitely should have had all the power. Though it could have been a means to motivate him. Maybe the opposite was in there as well "no top 8 no contract"

TheFrog

Coach
I read in 1 of the local papers griffin had a performance clause in his contract that if he got to the finals twice he got an extension to his contract, whether that’s true or not I don’t know,
The bloke took over a club that had made the finals twice in 11 years. He has made the finals twice in 2 years. Of course they were going to extend him, whether its in his contract or not.

Honestly, some people must just love supporting a club that runs 11th, 12th and 13th year in and year out.

OldPanther

Coach
The bloke took over a club that had made the finals twice in 11 years. He has made the finals twice in 2 years. Of course they were going to extend him, whether its in his contract or not.

Honestly, some people must just love supporting a club that runs 11th, 12th and 13th year in and year out.

The problem for some people is we made the Finals in 2017 on luck and a few soft wins. That's why this year is so important.

TheFrog

Coach
The problem for some people is we made the Finals in 2017 on luck and a few soft wins. That's why this year is so important.
I'm not one of those people. Obviously we weren't a top 4 side, although there was a glimmer of a chance we could make it in the latter rounds. We ended up where we deserved, IMHO, and under some less than ideal circumstances as well, as it has transpired. I don't remember any soft wins, not a single one. They were all hard-earned. A couple of soft losses, through., but you don't get points for them.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not one of those people. Obviously we weren't a top 4 side, although there was a glimmer of a chance we could make it in the latter rounds. We ended up where we deserved, IMHO, and under some less than ideal circumstances as well, as it has transpired. I don't remember any soft wins, not a single one. They were all hard-earned. A couple of soft losses, through., but you don't get points for them.

Until we have consistent halves we won't be top 4. Maloney and Cleary need to play the trials and build a combination.

Soft wins I mean crap teams.

franklin2323

Immortal

Dragons on had to hold on to a lead v the ordinary dogs they make the finals... They lose. Yet somehow we only beat soft teams

OldPanther

Coach
Dragons on had to hold on to a lead v the ordinary dogs they make the finals... They lose. Yet somehow we only beat soft teams

Neither of those points are connected. The Dragons failed worse than us last year and I'd be surprised if every single fan of theirs wasn't angry as hell.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
BUZZ: A lot of people are pointing the finger at coach Anthony Griffin. That he lacks a connection with the players. What are your thoughts on this?

GUS: What people? Bring me one person who says that and is prepared to put their name to it. You make ridiculous statements like that without any substance to back it up.

Rothfield has made a career of doing that.

Not a single soft win?

Beat bulldogs 38-0

Newcastle 40-0

The bulldogs game was the worst I’ve ever seen that team play. Was inept.

The criticisms have more to do with potential V performance. It’s been said over & over.

He’s a decent coach, just not one that’s likely to lead us to a title.

mxlegend99

Referee
Griffin anyway roster looks the most complete for years. How Gus handles the players coming off contract will take longer to get a pass from me
Last years roster
-TMM
-Hiku
-Moylan
-Cartwright
-Latu
-Rein

+Maloney
+Philips

Yep. Most complete its looked in years. In another thread you claim Wallace and Soward were too old in 2016. Yet Maloney is older than Soward was when he was released.

There seems to be an impression that anyone who criticises Gus or Griffin somehow think the club was better off before they arrived. Yet people have said over & over that the club is clearly in a better position today.

The criticisms are more related to performance V potential. Consider the amount of money, time, effort spent trying to turn the club around. For that we so far don’t have very much to show for it. One qualifying final.

I’m I thankful Gus came to the club? Yes.

Does that mean he escapes all criticism? No.

Unless something major changes this year, I’d say to Gus, look you’ve done some great stuff, but it’s time for a fresh set of eyes on this.

OldPanther

Coach
The Dragons lost to both them. Parra was done by Knights too so hardly just step on the field and win

The Dragons choked their season away in the worst way possible and Eels finished top 4 and had a bad game. If we finished top 4 and lost to the knoghts one random week I'd still be pretty happy with team and coach.

Also I didnt say all our wins were soft.

So everytime a team racks up a big score it is a soft win?

No. Hence I didn’t include the Tigers win that was also big.

Those two were easy wins, go back and watch them. The dogs in particular were absolutely inept.

Are you suggesting they weren’t easy wins?

I swear people on these boards would argue that black was white. FMD.