What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halt and Catch Fire

bileduct

Coach
Anyone else watching this?

This series starts off in the early 80's and revolves around a bunch of people involved in the personal computing technology revolution as they clone the original IBM PC. Now in it's second season it has moved on to early online gaming and social networking.

Worth it for the nostalgia alone.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Watched it on Netflix, really like it and waiting for the next series.

bileduct

Coach
Season two started a few weeks ago if you're not willing to wait for Netflix to get it.

AMC have made some great shows over the years... Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Rubicon, Mad Men and now this.

bileduct

Coach
The intro is awesome, it reminds me a lot of another excellent AMC show that was unfortunately cancelled after one season- Rubicon.

[youtube]yD_kCKiSkoI[/youtube]

[youtube]cHSfSQ6xcXs[/youtube]

bileduct

Coach
The second season of this show was f**king infuriating at times.

A lot of lefty websites started following this show during the second season as the plot centred around the two main female characters. I often questioned whether or not I was watching the same show due to the amount of Cameron worship, during a season in which the character was revealing herself to be an utterly incompetent, loathsome piece of shit who manipulated and cheated her employees in ways that cost them all dearly.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Love this show.

But yeah, the emphasis on Cameron in season 2 has been annoying. Donna is a bit of a sh*thead too, guilted her brain damaged husband into blowing all his cash on an old mainframe and moving them to California, costing them millions. Joe is the most interesting character on the show, the focus on him is why the first season was better.

Hope there's a 3rd season anyway.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
They're all flawed characters in one way or another, but I have empathy for all of them except for Cameron.

Donna was in a bad situation and I think she saw the old mainframe as a way to reboot her marriage with Gordon and work together again like their old days of working on the Symphonic. Gordon really wanted Donna to work with him at Cardiff at the end of season one. Mutiny is really Donna's show now, and hardware is Gordon's area of expertise, so it makes sense for them to be finding a way to work together again. It kinda does look like extortion, but without a new direction that involved both of them their marriage was pretty much over anyway.

And besides, while Gordon misses out on being a founder of what is essentially McAfee Associates, Donna and Gordon are now currently running the HaCF equivalent of Quantum Link, which later became America Online.

But Cameron... She's just a straight up, loathsome piece of shit.

It's funny when you compare both seasons.

In season one Joe is forced into making a decision (removing Cameron's OS at the last minute) to save the project, everyone's jobs and Cardiff Electric as a whole. Everyone came out better off as a result (except, ultimately, Joe) but Cameron had a meltdown over it and gets the f**k outta dodge.

In season two Mutiny is completely directionless, and their limited success seems to be in spite of Cameron's continued efforts to maintain exclusive control while at the same time pretending that her employees have equal say. When she is forced into making a decision (deciding whether or not to sell Mutiny to Westgroup Energy) she goes against the majority and ends up completely screwing everyone over financially when they were already working without being paid.

Then Gordon has to bail them out with the Cardiff Electric payout money, and Mutiny is no longer developing games when her desire to continue doing so is what stopped her from selling in the first place.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Really loved this show and binge watched it after reading this thread.

Joe is by far the most compelling character, and while he isn't always likable, he's never dull. Gordon was a frustrating character for me, but his terminal illness plot redeemed him a good deal. Like Donna too.

Cameron is everything wrong with writers who write 'strong women' as stubborn, emotional idiots. Deadset, she's this show's Skylar except I'd bang her in a heartbeat.

I hope it does get renewed for a third season, but I appreciate that season two 'wrapped up' things a little. Sure, there's certainly room for a third season, but it at least tied up things on the Joe front.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Awesome. Good to see Lee Pace is still involved, I thought they may have just followed Gordon and Donna in California. Joe is by far the most interesting character.

bileduct

Coach
I have mixed thoughts about the season 3 premiere. Cameron continues to be annoying as shit and the entire company is still run like a f**king circus. In fact, the only part I really enjoyed was seeing Joe at the end of the episode.

Reading the reviews of this series is frustrating. Everyone praises the "strong female leads" even though Cameron is just a f**king terrible human who has no idea how to run a business or even generate interesting ideas.

bileduct

Coach
Cameron is everything wrong with writers who write 'strong women' as stubborn, emotional idiots. Deadset, she's this show's Skylar except I'd bang her in a heartbeat.
No thanks. Part of what makes Cameron so f**king awful is Mackenzie Davis' terrible acting and permanent moron face.

bileduct

Coach
Ugh... Two episodes into season 3 and the show is saturated with nonsense about sexism and misogyny.

Rapidly losing interest in one of my favourite shows.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah Cameron and Donna dominating the show doesn't work for me. I'm hoping Gordon comes up with something that puts him at odds with Joe. Their dynamic was far more interesting.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I have mixed thoughts about the season 3 premiere. Cameron continues to be annoying as shit and the entire company is still run like a f**king circus. In fact, the only part I really enjoyed was seeing Joe at the end of the episode.

Reading the reviews of this series is frustrating. Everyone praises the "strong female leads" even though Cameron is just a f**king terrible human who has no idea how to run a business or even generate interesting ideas.
I think that's where this season is heading though. The guy who 'hacked' their system and is now working for Joe has shown that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.

The first two episodes haven't been strong, but I think it's setting up Cameron and Donna to have a huge fall. Season 2 was kind of all about their ascendance, Season 3 will be about Joe tearing it up. Joe is the stereotypical 80's silicon valley guy that was a success. Cameron is one who would have been a success in the mid to late 90's to present day. Camerons business type didn't take off until at least 1996-2000, antivirus however was a juggernaut in the early 90s due to shareware CDs, which they've already alluded to in episode 2.

bileduct

Coach
lol suck sh*t Cameron.

Good to see the Joe and Gordon show is getting going again.
Did Ryan just f**k both Joe and Gordon over? I'll have to watch it again but unless Gordon already finalised the deal to take all the NSFNET gear and the $2.5 million in exchange for the rest of the company it looks like they just got torpedoed by Ryan releasing the source code.

f**k I HATE Cameron (if that wasn't already obvious.) She's only motivated by maintaining exclusive control of Mutiny and suddenly came out with all the new ideas just to delay the IPO. It was satisfying to see her call for a vote and then have everyone go against her. She's been nothing but a piece of shit since season 1 when they had to ditch her stupid OS so they could actually have a marketable product.

This season has been all over the place. Some of the plots and acting have been poor and shoddy. I can't see it being renewed for season 4. I'm very surprised we even got season 3.

Latest posts