What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamilton Pre Season Game, Warriors v Dragons

AliN

Live Update Team
Well done, thanks for the info.

We now have secured some tickets pretty much on halfway.

I see at 5.30 there's a Bartercard Cup game as a curtain raiser. Great stuff, some footy at last!!

AliN said:
Well done, thanks for the info.

We now have secured some tickets pretty much on halfway.

I see at 5.30 there's a Bartercard Cup game as a curtain raiser. Great stuff, some footy at last!!

Glad the info helped.

I'm sitting in the Brian Perry Stand

At the moment we are planning to get there when the gates open.

By the way you know that it is General Admission in all stands??

So it's pretty much who ever gets there first gets the best seats.

I'm planning on sitting near the players tunnel.

da mad maori

Juniors
Are you telling us all that it is a free for all with regards to the seating.???
By the way a huge thanks from me.Now to watch the weather forecast.!!

AliN

Live Update Team
Showers earlier in the day DMM, but by the time we get there hopegfully they'll clear.

We're Bay 38 on the other side from the Brian Perry Stand, but as you say BW#1 fan, general admission means just that.

Gates open at 5pm, with the Bartercard Cup game due to kick off at 5.30. We'll meeting up with DMM somewhere in between at the Seddon St/Rd entrance.

Hopefully we can meet up with others from the forums there..look out for the heavily attired family in Warriors gear... aka .. me, Ozbash and the box of assorted ratbags.

Really looking forward to seeing the Warriors new guns taking on the new and old Dragons.

That Guy

Juniors
G'Day Fellas,

Just wondering which stand you are all sitting in and what time youre headin in to the ground. Also are ya going to have a few drinks before the game anywhere?

I hope tickets are still available!

ozbash

Referee
We're heading straight to the game That Guy, to catch the Bartercard Cup game. We have tickets in the Wels Network stand, roughly halfway, Bay 38. Hoping to meet up with folks at the Seddon RoaDd entrance arounds 5.15 or so..

That Guy

Juniors
Sweet, I mite roll in at about 6:30ish. You know it's all general admission seating aye? If its pissing down you mite want to get some seats under cover up the top of the stand.

Hopefully i'll see some of you there though it may be like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

AliN

Live Update Team
Well if you look like your avatar That Guy, we should spot ya!!.
We'll be the family all decked out in Warriors gear trying to convert the union followers..

ozbash

Referee
lets make a racket :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Warriors youngsters have few restrictions placed on them for Thursday night's first NRL warm-up match.

They are playing the St. George-Illawarra Dragons in Hamilton, with the average age of the Warriors starting line-up just 19.

Coach Daniel Anderson says they basically have free-license to showcase their talent and in particular their speed.

Anderson say there are a couple of 'old' heads in the line-up helping keep things under control.

And captain Monty Betham says it is an opportunity for the players to let off some steam after a long summer of training.

Betham says there is a lot of enthusiasm in the team with so many young players making their first appearance in the top grade squad.

Kick off is at 7.30, with around 20,000 tickets sold for the Waikato Stadium.

Anderson points out that they cannot train for things like the crowd noise, so it will be interesting to see how the young players handle that.

That Guy

Juniors
Well, unfortuately I can't get a ride down from South Auckland in time for the game :( ...hope you fellas have a good one though and get right in behind the boys.....oh, and take some pics too if you can.

Warriors point Scorers

Tries

Manu Vituvei
Epalahame Lauaki
Shaun Metcalfe 2
Mark Tookey
Herewini Rangi

Goals

Marcus Perenara 2/4
Evarn Tuimavave 1/1
Toshio Laiseni 0/1

Great effort by the younger boys. Tooks has lost weight and was making plenty of metres in attack and was hitting hard in defence teaming up with Betham in alot of two man tackles.

Tavita Latu didn't play.

caught up with most of the team Brent Webb and Justin Murphy were sitting just across from up in the Brian Perry Stand. Had a good chat with them. Took heaps of photos so when i get them developed i'll post some on here.

The Vodafone New Zealand Warriors were defeated by the Dragons last night 30-36. The young squad with an average age of just 19 years of age played well. The came back from being down 4-24 at halftime to tie up the ball game with 3 minutes to play in the final quarter. Both teams scored six tries each with goal kicking being the difference with the Dragons converting all six of their tries.

There was alot of promising young talent on show of the Warriors as they got off to a flying start with a try down the left flank to towering 110kg left winger Manu Vituvei with Toshio Laiseni missing the conversion attempt from right on the chalk, Laiseni's attempt was a good effort the kick had the accuracy but just didn't have the distance to make it over the crossbar. That was the end of the points scoring for the Warriors outfit in the first half. Having an inexperienced back three hurt the Warriors at times with the Dragons players breaking through or the back three making costly errors near the line after a fifth tackle kick from the dragons which resulted in tries. Herewini Rangi was hit late and time off was called he was helped up the tunnel and was replaced my Jerome Ropati, Rangi was cleared to take the field again at the end of the first quarter.The Dragons scored four first half tries with Matthew Head converting 4/4.

Monty Betham played a real captains role during his time on the field in the first two quarters. Monty was inspirational on defence teaming up with Mark Tookey in the second quarter to put on some big hits on the young Dragons side.

Halftime Score 24-4 in favour of the Dragons

Daniel Anderson made several changes to his line up in the second half with Awen Guttenbeil taking the field in the number 14 jersey in place of Monty Betham to lead the Warriors to one of their trademark comebacks. Jerome Ropati came on at fullback to replace Toshio Laiseni. While Manu Vituveui was replaced due to an injured right leg.

The comeback was in full swing a few minutes after halftime with tries to Mark Tookey and Epalahame Lauaki who both powered over from close to the line. Marcus Perenara was the goal kicker but only converted one of the two tries. After two quick tries the young side grew in confidence making a break down the right flank with Shaun Metcalfe showing his speed to cross the line for a four pointer. The conversion was attempted by Marcus Perenara who had the accuracy from out wide but didn't quite have the distance.

The dragons hit back though with a try to Lee Bennett, with Aaron Gorrell converting.

A brilliant individual effort from young Warriors halfback Heriwini Rangi saw him cross for a four pointer close to the posts with Evarn Tuimavave adding the extras.

The game was now tied at 30 points late in the fourth quarter. The Dragons Matthew Head attempted a field goal, which was waved away unsuccessful referee Steve Clark ruling in had gone to the left of the left upright. The Warriors continued to throw everything at the Dragons but couldn't seem to get out of their own half. Then they started to push passes and his resulted in a lot of handling errors by the Warriors.

The Dragons scored close to fulltime, which wrapped up the match for them 36-30.

It was a great effort from both teams. I'm not going to go and make excuses for the Warriors outfit but the average age of the team was 19 and they haven't played together before. Also Daniel Anderson gave the team a free-license to showcase their talent and in particular their speed.
And from what I know a lot of the Dragons Squad have played together before. Plus it was only a trial game and as the old saying goes "If defeat doesn't kill you it only makes you wiser." And these younger guys will all the better for the experience of last nights match.

Warriors point Scorers

Tries

Manu Vituvei
Epalahame Lauaki
Shaun Metcalfe 2
Mark Tookey
Herewini Rangi

Goals

Marcus Perenara 2/4
Evarn Tuimavave 1/1
Toshio Laiseni 0/1

Dragons Points Scorers

Tries

Aaron Gorrell
Reece Wellington
Justin Poore
Jarred Dykes
Mathew Head
Lee Bennett

Goals

Mathew Head 4/4
Aaron Gorrell 2/2

Referee Steve Clark

Crowd 22,000

AliN

Live Update Team
Excellent trial match!!
Great atmosphere for the boys on the field in front of a house full of noisy fans, including cow bells.

Both teams full of youngsters played well.

Sorry you didn't make it That Guy, it was awesome to see some footy.
And BW#1 Fan hope you enjoyed yourself.
DMM kept us entertained for sure.

Ozbash & DMM were interviewed, along with others, by Tony Veitch of TV1 news fame, so may get a glimpse of the 2 old buggas on TV1 tonight ;-) .

Waicoa Bay were up against Counties Manakau in the Bartercard Cup curtain raiser and if that was anything to go by, the Bartercard comp is going to be as tough as ever. There were some big boys in the forwards!
Waicoa Bay were the victors and it's great to see the Tawera Nikau coached side performing so well.

Well worth the trek over the hill, and has wet the appetite for the beginning of the season.

It's all good :D

ozbash

Referee
yes spacey, and a handy looking team they are too.
big, young powerful looking kids who play with "T,s" arrogant style. it was a good game actually (v counties/manukau) and they look a very promising team.

got a few pics i will try and get the mrs to put up somewhere of wai-coa-bay last nite..

Latest posts