What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hannant chases pay-rise

Ridders

Coach
Hannant chases a $150,000 pay rise
By James Phelps
April 03, 2010 11:12PM

165617-ben-hannant-bulldogs-nrl.jpg

Home sick ... Ben Hannant is looking for more money when he heads north. Source: The Daily Telegraph

HOMESICK prop Ben Hannant told the Bulldogs his decision to ask for a release was not motivated by money - but he is asking for a $150,000-a-year pay rise to return to Queensland.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that the Queensland and Australia front-rower shopped himself to both the Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans for $450,000 a season after he told the Bulldogs he wanted out of his $300,000-a-year deal because his family wanted to return home.

The Titans last week pulled out of negotiations with Hannant for 2011 after learning of his asking price.

"If I was a betting man I would say he will be staying here for the rest of the year," Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said.
"We are still prepared to give him a release if he can find a deal, but it is looking unlikely. We are open to letting him negotiate now for 2012.

"From what I understand, he still wants a release but he may not be able to get a deal this year."
The Sunday Telegraph has also discovered that Hannant asked for a bonus for making the Australian team just months before fronting Greenberg and asking for a release.
"He asked the club if he had a rep bonus in his contract," a Bulldogs source said.
"But he did the deal himself without a manager and did not have a clause inserted. The Bulldogs told him they paid him overs when they signed him in anticipation of him becoming an Australian player."
Hannant was forced to front his team-mates after the Bulldogs went down to St George Illawarra two weeks ago, with some players blaming him for destabilising the team before the match.
He spoke to each player after that match and told them he was at the club for the moment and would continue to "put in".

The Bulldogs suspect that Hannant's "homesickness" may have been fuelled by a fellow Queenslander with whom he played on last year's Four Nations tour.
It is understood the player told Hannant he was being underpaid by the Bulldogs and said he should return to Queensland where he could earn more money.
After returning from the tour, Hannant, who has never had a manager, signed powerful player agent George Mimis to help broker a deal.
Mimis last night refused to comment on Hannant's asking price.
"His business is his business," Mimis said. "His worth will be determined by the market. I think there are a number of clubs with props paid over $400,000 a year. But I won't be saying what he is seeking at this stage because it is confidential."
Mimis said he would continue negotiations with the Gold Coast Titans tomorrow, with chief executive Michael Searle last week caught up in the club's salary-cap investigation.
"I haven't spoken to the Titans this week," Mimis said.
"I am guessing Searle is pretty busy. We are reviewing the situation at the moment. We would like to get him closer to home, but that is ongoing."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-150000-pay-rise/story-e6frexnr-1225849246626

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Wow he's a real money chaser isn't he. Went to the Bulldogs looking for more now trying to get out of a contract to get more. What a wanker

Ridders

Coach
Can't imagine what other options he would have if Titans really have pulled out of the running for him.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Fk me, isn't he on 350 grand a year now, not going to get that much of an upgrade any where in the NRL, he may have to follow SBW to french rugby if he wants that money, or go to the ESL.

Thats a p#ss weak excuse that he's home sick, he use to live in Sydney before, what a joke.

Ridders

Coach
I rate him as a player but he's gotta be kidding with the 450 K figure.

No wonders the Tits lost interest

user_nat

Coach
Far out, what an idiot. No way he is worth that much.

If he was so homesick he should be willing to earn less.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Love to see our fans bagging someone who has let his on-field performances do the talking...

The second some journo comes out with claims of this and that, you believe it straight away.. I expected better.

Ridders

Coach
Who's bagging who?

All I said was that the 450 K figure was way over the top, and I think most would agree.

user_nat

Coach
I don't think anyone is saying he is a bad player. He is obviously very good. Just not 450k good. I don't think any forward is 10% of cap good.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Who's bagging who?

All I said was that the 450 K figure was way over the top, and I think most would agree.
Not you mate. More so the comments like "what a wanker" when really, he has done nothing wrong and has come out and justified himself both on national TV and with his strong on-field performances.

Then some journo writes this article claiming that he's chasing this figure and that figure and it's all about money and blah blah and people believe it.

People love to believe the media when they want to.

murraymob

Coach
if he wants that much the only club with that sorta cash over is the broncos.And if they make a play for petero from penrith that may rule them out as well

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The reason I've avoided this thread and the others regarding the Hannant issue thus far is because in the media I've seen little in the way of actual quotes from Hannant or Greenberg and as such I'm not going to subscribe to reports like this one where it's being claimed he wants x amount of money.

My thoughts are simply let the situation play out. Benny, along with the other 16 blokes last Sunday, gave 100% in that win over the Roosters. The whole deal isn't affecting his footy... so let his manager and the club sort it and enjoy watching the Polar Bear take the ball up against the red and green tomorrow night; the black and white next week; the black and gold the week after, and so on.

heres what i reckon happens.

hannant goes to gold coast on release. frees up 300k.

raiders make the call. dogs releasse noddy. raiders buy out his contract and he goes to canberra. solves raiders problems.

that frees up about 500k?

thurston off contract......

the dots are connecting.

Bulldog Force

Referee
heres what i reckon happens.

hannant goes to gold coast on release. frees up 300k.

raiders make the call. dogs releasse noddy. raiders buy out his contract and he goes to canberra. solves raiders problems.

that frees up about 500k?

thurston off contract......

the dots are connecting.
What dots? The 'rumor' here is that Hannant wants an early release. You've come from absolutely nowhere and picked a random club for Kimmorley to go to. On top of all that, Todd Greenberg has said that the $700,000 JT requests is not available to him at Belmore.

Timmah

Staff member
Nor should it ever be. Don't want JT back, no matter how good he is.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: There's a difference between a dickhead and a grub.

Remind me again what Ennis has done off the field?