What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harrigan

JJ

Immortal
I'm not sure what to make of the calls for Shayne Hayne....

Harrigan is the best, but was awful on the weekend. But in fairness, he often doesn't make stupid pedantic calls like he chose to on the weekend.
Melbourne had there chances early though.

And no, Robinson wasn't "obviously" offside.

How long should Fa afilii have had to put the ball down? At firts look I thought the tackle was complete before he grounded it. Regardless, Canberra should have one (and I'm a Kiwi).

salivor

First Grade
Watching it live It thought Robinson was offside as soon as Orford kicked the ball so I wasn't concerned Harrigan didn't go up top and when he was forced to the video referee made the correct call.

Fa'afili was a double movement IMO. I only got one look at it in normal speed and he took too long to put it down. Its just a shame that video referee's persist on using slow motion replays to look at those kind of rulings.

JoeD

First Grade
Faafili can't have been a double movement as he was already over the line. Only 2 options, try or held up. The dumb thing about it is the video ref never looked at it in real time, it was all slo mo stuff. How you are supposed to tell if he had enough time or not from a slow mo shot i'll never know.

JJ

Immortal
agreed, with both of you.

I'm just saying that Robinson wasn't obviously offside - and of course that's not what Harrigan ruled anyway.

And, yeah, in real time I thought FA afilii was held up - but must admit I am not 100% sure of the rule.

The Orford decision was pedantic, stupid, arrogant, and changed the nature of the game. Not to mention Norton's pass "possibly" being forward

salivor

First Grade
I'm not quite sure of the rule myself. Maybe Joe is right that its held up but I'm sure you could make a case that if the player is held up and then attempts to ground the ball after that then he can be penalised for a double movement.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Harrigan is about the only ref i can think of that i don't go 'oh not - not him' when i find out he is in charge of a Cowboys game* 8)

Yes, he can make mistakes but his mistakes affect the outcome of a game less often than other refs.

Yes, he has his quirks but they are known and you have to be dumb to get in front of a kickoff when he is refereeing - that's going to be a penalty 95% of the time.

* this could be based on the fact that Harrigan ref's a Cowboys game about once every 2-3 years^ :cry:

^ but that is still more often than seeing a Cowboys game on Ch.Nein.

JoeD

First Grade
I was wrong - Billy has been appointed to the Dogs Roosters game. Warriors v Penrith to be controlled by Mander :x

salivor

First Grade
I think that changes things a bit Joe. The Warriors v Panthers had the opportunity to be a very free flowing match with the style of the two sides. With Mander in control and a shorter 10 metres I'd expect it to be a much closer and tougher spectacle.
Roosters v Bulldogs is shaping up to be a big one though.

JoeD

First Grade
I can't believe I'm saying this but it may help the warriors now that Mander is there. The warriors have had a hard game with him in control and that might give them a little edge. Having said that Mander hasn't given the warriors any favours in the past so I don't expect him to start now.

Latest posts