What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne Omission

Eddie.

Bench
What are everyone's thoughts?

IM just baffled how NSW can leave out a genuine match winner? He has won matches by himself for Parramatta and been arguably NSW best performed player that last couple of years. The guy might not be in vintage form however would QLD punt Slater if he was having an average NRL season? Fact is Hayne is surrounded by perhaps the worst roster in the NRL with no creative halves and a modest hooker. It reminds of Tim Brasher a bit in that Balmain were always outclassed and on struggle street, however Brasher would always lift for origin and play a blinder.

I am a big fan of Dugan don't get me wrong and the fullback call was 50/50. But I would of found room for Hayne. Might be a crazy idea however I would have considered Hayne at 5/8. He has an explosive running game, a very long boot and can pin point a decent pass for an outside back. Obviously would have been a huge gamble but if NSW are to break out of the funk there in they need some genuine match winners.

If worst comes to worst you stick him on the wing. I just don't think a side that has lost 5 series in a row can omit a player of Hayne's ability all together. They talk about loyalty and Hayne has played about 10 origins now, performed well and now finds himself on the outer. Strange.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
you could seriously play hayne in the backrow if you wanted to. leaving him out of the team is a joke.

he is the only nsw back qld fear.

Vic Mackey

Referee
i dont doubt dugan will do a good job and tbh im excited to watch him go

but leaving hayne out all together is as stupid as when qld picked hunt at 5/8 and left prince out

Parra Pride

Coach
It's a dead set joke of a decision, but oh well, he gets to play for Parra against the Sharks instead, and god knows we need him.

Dragon

Coach
How they can pick Jennings over Hayne is beyond me, should have been there in front of Morris as well

jonno_knights

Juniors
he is the only nsw back qld fear.

Although I think that he should be in the side somewhere (left wing preferrably), I think QLD will be fearing Gasnier given the form he is in, especially with the threat of Aku outside him, and Soward on the inside.

This combination will be key for NSW. Its where I think the points will come from for NSW (and with Aku/Soward, potentially where the points for QLD come from).

One the other side of the field, although not in the greatest form, Jennings will need to be right off Bird the entire game looking for the offloads.

NSW definately has the firepower to beat the QLDers. Other then Hayne, they have gone for match winners in Jennings, Aku and Gasnier, instead of going defensive like they have in previous years with guys like McManus, Cooper and Scott (at centre).

Raider_69

Post Whore
You had two options

1. Pick Hayne at Fullback and dont pick dugan as Dugan has never played wing.

or

2. Decide Dugan is your fullback and decide which wing you play hayne on

They were your options, the only 2 imo.

ShaunC

Juniors
Compared to when Hayne first played Origin, his form is such that he would be a waste on the wing. Until he becomes a proper 5/8 he needs to play fullback so he can chime in when he needs to.

Parraren

Bench
Stuart more or less hinted as to why Hayne was overlooked in his press conference today.

He see's Hayne as a 5/8 more so than a fullback. Dugan plays a more traditional style fullback role, ala Slater.

He said Hayne could have been picked in a position he doesn't play regular club football in but didn't think it would be right for the balance of the side.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Stuart more or less hinted as to why Hayne was overlooked in his press conference today.

He see's Hayne as a 5/8 more so than a fullback. Dugan plays a more traditional style fullback role, ala Slater.

He said Hayne could have been picked in a position he doesn't play regular club football in but didn't think it would be right for the balance of the side.

Ricky is full of shit because Hayne has played on the wing for NSW before and played extremely well - didn't affect the balance of the side then, did it?

You simply don't leave a player like that out of the side, unless you are the NSW selectors. Sure, you could argue Hayne has not been in great form this year but he is playing in a very poor side.

Look at Jennings - has played like a busted for Penrith all season, plays in City-Country surrounded by better players, with a game plan given to the team by Stuart (according to the press) and plays very well, looks a totally different player to what he does with Penrith. Hayne should have been on the wing.

For five years NSW has lost because they simply can't score enough points. QLD are a great side, and they will score at least 20 points per game, this is a given and will occur no matter who is picked. It is clear they need to pick a side that can attack and a side that can score points. Leaving out one of the most dangerous attacking players in the NRL is simply ridiculous.

jonno_knights

Juniors

He also said that he picked Dugan as he was looking towards the future. Does this mean at full strength Hayne will never make Origin again? as the NSW back 3 is pretty young.

Hayne won player of the series from Left wing. What would be so detrimental in putting him there again? He offers more then Morris, plus cover incase Dugan goes down injured (likely considering he struggled to stay fit in club games, let alone origin). Imagine a back three of Hayne/Dugan/Uate returning kicks. QLD wouldnt know who to kick it too.

Tweed Titan

Bench
But Darius Boyd plays more like a five-eighth too. I wonder if Qld will leave him off the wing/team? :lol:

Qld laughing at us and deservedly so.

Parraren

Bench
But Darius Boyd plays more like a five-eighth too. I wonder if Qld will leave him off the wing/team? :lol:

Yep.

But we're smarter than QLD remember.

We think outside the square.

QLD expects to see Hayne in the side, but we throw them a curve ball and leave him out.

Our plan is to confuse them by our stupidity.

Pazza

First Grade
He also said that he picked Dugan as he was looking towards the future. Does this mean at full strength Hayne will never make Origin again? as the NSW back 3 is pretty young.

That bothered me too! Hayne is only 23 years old, we have invested 10 origin games in the kid, in which he has been a shining light in a very dark time for NSW rugby league! The fact we even came close to QLD in some games was purely off the back of Hayne's individual brilliance.

The fact Brett Morris who has done NOTHING in his rep career can make the team over Hayne is...... there are no words to describe!

Pazza

First Grade

You'd think with so many Dragons in the team you'd want a fullback that attacks in a similar fashion to Boyd????????