What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Jack Bird.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst I was disappointed with Birds comments, in the light of day, I think it reveals a far greater issue, an issue which is boiling over atm.

Bird states in his apology that he was trying to stick up for Hook. He's aware Hook is under enormous pressure and has some personal issues.

I think there in lies the problem.

If, and it's a big if, Hook has some outside problems (I know he recently lost his father), which are effecting his ability to coach effectively, then stepping aside either temporarily or even permanently, may be more prudent than having your mindset elsewhere.

As for Bird, he's a senior player, he should know better, however, it also reveals a deeper frustration amongst the playing group.

"The harder you try, the worse you get" which is the law of inverse effect.

I'm not defending Bird or Hook here, but surely our GM of football could see this as a brewing issue and should have dealt with it long ago instead of letting it fester in the off chance it will right itself.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
There was an article stating that Saints are the dumbest team. Bird's comments clearly reflect that.

He has apologised. The Senior Management have really let the fans and players down as the should have got rid of Hook earlier to save all this stress that is currently sweeping through the joint and effecting everyone that is part of the club including the fans. If they gave Hook the boot last year at the end of the season he would possibly be living back in Qld or wherever with a clear head. He would be over the disappointment by now but they let it get worse and potentially created mental health issues on the guy.

Also if Hook is really struggling he should just call it quits and look after himself more than anything. If he went to the board and told them he needs to get out for his mental state I am sure they would accommodate him like any other employer would and help him deal with his issues.

justadragon

Bench
Whilst I was disappointed with Birds comments, in the light of day, I think it reveals a far greater issue, an issue which is boiling over atm.

Bird states in his apology that he was trying to stick up for Hook. He's aware Hook is under enormous pressure and has some personal issues.

If, and it's a big if, Hook has some outside problems (I know he recently lost his father), which are effecting his ability to coach effectively, then stepping aside either temporarily or even permanently, may be more prudent than having your mindset elsewhere.

As for Bird, he's a senior player, he should know better, however, it also reveals a deeper frustration amongst the playing group.

I'm not defending Bird or Hook here, but surely our GM of football could see this as a brewing issue and should have dealt with it long ago instead of letting it fester in the off chance it will right itself.
Our GM has no nous at all when it comes to football clubs, therein lays the problem.

justadragon

Bench

The club itself has a duty of care towards all the employees, in a situation like this you would expect if Hook was struggling to actually come out and say so as well. The club could have stood him down, but it's a very gray area when the person wont admit they are struggling. Regardless if Bird was sticking up for his coach, the responsibility as a senior player is on him to inform management the the coach is doing it tough personally. We do have things like RU OK days for a reason, mental health is a huge problem but you have own it as well. Anyway I'm sort of placated that he has apologised, I still dont know how you can say those things and not mean them, they were pretty simple sentences, anyway lets all move on shall we.

kit66

Bench

redVbull

Juniors

No one wants to see anyone struggle as a coach, which makes Hook's state of mind puzzling as has the remedy in his hands... to just pick his side based on merit, talent and proven performance, and build a gameplan around that.

His conservatism is his undoing. Nothing against Mbye but with options like Liddle or Hunt to hooker for Bud Mbye's selection is plainly the least best. We've played most of the season with some spine x-factor benched while rest of the team plays with complacency of being protected by its selection risk-averse coach.

The message is simple. If whatever your're doing isnt getting results, as in business a PIVOT is the only option. Just pick the best squad on the talent available, rewrite the gameplan and get it out there.

Ultimately its a far more defendable coaching strategy than just grinding out to the bitter end with a squad that isn't delivering.

Your apology means Jack to me, Jack.
Your initial inarticulate but nontheless dismissive and insulting comments directed at the supporter base reflect your true feelings on the matter. You apologised because you were directed to.
I hear the weather is nice in Hull. Why don't you eff off there with your big-mouthed mate, Moses Suli.
Yes, Jack - go to Hull.

Pumpkin

Juniors
I just don't think a team can represent two different areas and two vastly different types of people. As the Good Lord said "a house divided against itself cannot stand"