What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highest Paid players Value for Money

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
People complaining about burgess' ridiculous price tag. Manly are paying DCE more than Burgess! Oh that's extremely awkward GI didn't even make the list...

southsport

First Grade
Well that's a big "well done" to Sammy for being that highly regarded in a team that is not performing.

Pommy

Coach
Wages in the NRL are a funny thing. In the scope of sport these guys are paid peanuts.
We have around 6-8 players on something like 85k and whilst some on here might not get paid that much in Sydney where house prices are averaging around a million it's not a lot of money.
People say Sam is overpaid because he's a forward not a playmaker. But he's also a leader imagine if we didn't have Sam who would be the captain? Sutton is getting too old to be depending on as captain for a season.
I still don't think at the time the club had any choice but to do everything they could to bring Sam back, and whilst it hasn't been the fairy tale we all wanted I'm still glad they did.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we did not have Sam in the team right now we would be losing most games by 50. The defence he does in the middle is not replaceable. He kept Coen Hess quiet for the 50 minutes he was on and I honestly didn't notice taumololo's impact.
I'm sick of people talking up Turner too Souths til I die.

Overall he's been a disappointment imo.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'm sick of people talking up Turner too Souths til I die.

Overall he's been a disappointment imo.

I like turner I think he was very promising in 2014. I don't think his a premier second rower but I definitely think his worthy of a first grade spot, probably on the bench. I also think he would definitely make the cowboys, storm, Brisbane bench. We don't really have players that are better than turner that's the biggest issue. Turner is the best second rower in our team besides Sam and Crichton. I think you'll find when our centres return though our results will improve significantly. It's very easy to keep players like turner as well cause he's cheap!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We didn't notice taumololo's impact because everytime he got the ball Turner was up in his face and putting him on his back. But of course Turner is a dud and many are calling for him to he dropped this week.

My bad I didn't realise it was turner putting him on his back I thought it was Crichton manhandling him. you honestly can't blame a single forward for the result on the weekend all the blame should be on our backline.

DiegoNT

First Grade
My bad I didn't realise it was turner putting him on his back I thought it was Crichton manhandling him. you honestly can't blame a single forward for the result on the weekend all the blame should be on our backline.
Him and Chricton were great In defence. Turner usually comes off some time during the 2nd half, on Friday he came off at the at approx the 28th minute, his first stint was all about taumololo ( who came off about a set later). It's easy to look at the metre stats and use that to so who's putting in and not, and at the time he came off he had made 40m, compared to 60m from George and 65m to Sam. So the trap would be to say he only contributed 2/3s of what the Burgess brothers done, but in that time he made 20 tackles to sams 13 and Georges 10. He set the line speed in the middle and made the first contact on most of those tackles, with a large number on taumololo himself. Without Sam and George having to waste energy on handling taumololo they had a bit extra to focus on running. It's all balance. Unfortunately he suffered a head knock in the second half so we essentially only had him for the last 10 or so minutes. When he was on the field we didn't concede a try. It's these little things that has coaches putting so much faith in guys like Aubusson, Turner and Lewis (who doesn't run for huge metres nowdays but everything he does is extremely effective)

DiegoNT

First Grade
Taumololo ran for over 200m in 57 minutes. Not sure he was really "man-handled" by anyone.
By his standards that's low, plus he wasn't getting any many fast play the balls in his first stint in the game

rabbitohs95

Bench
Lol anyone who doesn't support all our players isn't and shouldn't be a supporter. Couldn't care less on how good or bad they are, someone who wears the rabbit on their chest with a red and green jersey on is someone I will support.

Couldn't imagine the hysteria on here during from 02-06

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Lol anyone who doesn't support all our players isn't and shouldn't be a supporter. Couldn't care less on how good or bad they are, someone who wears the rabbit on their chest with a red and green jersey on is someone I will support.

Couldn't imagine the hysteria on here during from 02-06
That's because the band wagon didn't start rolling til 2012

callmack1

Staff member
Geez I'm handing out a lot of likes in this thread, a lot of truth teeling being done lol!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Him and Chricton were great In defence. Turner usually comes off some time during the 2nd half, on Friday he came off at the at approx the 28th minute, his first stint was all about taumololo ( who came off about a set later). It's easy to look at the metre stats and use that to so who's putting in and not, and at the time he came off he had made 40m, compared to 60m from George and 65m to Sam. So the trap would be to say he only contributed 2/3s of what the Burgess brothers done, but in that time he made 20 tackles to sams 13 and Georges 10. He set the line speed in the middle and made the first contact on most of those tackles, with a large number on taumololo himself. Without Sam and George having to waste energy on handling taumololo they had a bit extra to focus on running. It's all balance. Unfortunately he suffered a head knock in the second half so we essentially only had him for the last 10 or so minutes. When he was on the field we didn't concede a try. It's these little things that has coaches putting so much faith in guys like Aubusson, Turner and Lewis (who doesn't run for huge metres nowdays but everything he does is extremely effective)

I like the statistical analysis, it makes it interesting. Their forwards should of easily been able to go through the middle but they couldn't handle it. It allowed tom to use his running game, which is his greatest asset, to his advantage. I hope we can continue to play like this and our halves can step up against Penrith. One Burgess twin at a time.

Latest posts