What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History never repeats (or does it?)

Card Shark

Immortal
I am hoping it does. The last time we played the tigers in round 1 was in '99. No-one outside of our club tipped us to have a good season. Of course we went on to win the minor premiership (then totally stuff up in the grand final qualifier).
It all started when we flogged the tigers 44 to SFA. I can see us touching up the tigers again but maybe not by that much. They are a good side but not a great side. If we want to go close this year we have to get off to a good start by whipping them.
A win against them will be a good one as they are notoriously quick out of the blocks and recently they tend to give us a hard, close match. I will take a 1 point victory but I would love another 44-0 flogging.

Houdini

First Grade
I think round 1 is going to be a lot closer than in 99.
I know we can win it, but I feel a little nervous all the same.

Maybe its the memories of round 1 last year, having a half time lead of 22 points only to go on and lose the game :?

And here I was thinking this was going to be a Split Enz thread!

Wests-Tigers, Wests, Balmain, whatever you want to call them, have notoriously been tough games for us. They have recruited well and most "experts" have tipped them to do well this year. Luke Covell can kick goals from anywhere and they don't have any glaring weaknesses. This will be a close one and I'm just glad that it's not being played at Campbelltown.

If we can go a couple of wins better than 1999, this little Eskimo will be one happy chappy. No-one has rated us and we have a history of doing well when everyone has written us off.

Go you Sharkies!!!!!!

Macca

Coach
Well, hopefully without putting the mocker on us, I reckon we'll beat them by more than 12. Just looking at the 2 sides, we outclass them all over the paddock. Am I missing something?

They havent been THAT tough: Going back to 2001 -

R13 Wests_Tigers 16 (3-2-0) 16 (4-0-0) D 19-May-2001 Endeavour S.Clark 9007
R26 Wests_Tigers 36 (6-6-0) 12 (2-2-0) W 02-Sep-2001 Leichhardt T.Mander 8053
R5 Wests_Tigers 36 (6-6-0) 30 (5-5-0) W 14-Apr-2002 Endeavour S.Clark 14116
R23 Wests_Tigers 34 (6-5-0) 18 (3-3-0) W 18-Aug-2002 Campbelltown S.Hayne 7100
R14 Wests_Tigers 28 (5-4-0) 26 (4-5-0) W 14-Jun-2003 Endeavour R.Lawrence 11586
R18 Wests_Tigers 12 (2-2-0) 44 (7-8-0) L 13-Jul-2003 Leichhardt S.Clark 8873

W denotes a win for us
L denotes a loss for us
D draw

fatshark

Bench
Yeah we should win easily, but you have to take into account its the firat game, whos the ref. I think it will be close as Tigers have a bit more experience.

fatshark

Bench
Yeah we should win easily, but you have to take into account its the first game, whos the ref. I think it will be close as Tigers have a bit more experience.

imasharkie

Coach
Houdini said:
I think round 1 is going to be a lot closer than in 99.
I know we can win it, but I feel a little nervous all the same.

Maybe its the memories of round 1 last year, having a half time lead of 22 points only to go on and lose the game :?
I'm with you Houdini, if we've got a big lead at half time I'm turning the tv off.

Based on I dont get why everyone thinks our team is so outstanding compared to the improving Wests Tigers.

Tim Sheens is building and he's got a few young wildcards, notably Benji Marshall and he's recruited some solid old heads to steady the ship, in particular the impressive Scott Sattler and a man you may remember, Nick Graham.

Plus Terry Hill is gone which can only be a good thing.

Macca

Coach
I just don't see it. I think the Tigers will be good in a year or 2 but not yet.

Cometshark

Juniors
Im with Mcsharkie the tigers have recruited well but not well enough IMHO
Hodgson(was a very good player but hasnt turned up last two years, could have been smith who knows)
Prince(has had two years out with a broken leg and IMO was an average player before going to the broncos)
Graham(is a workhorse, but hasnt been at the top of his game since 01)
cant think of who else they have but not that impressive to me....

Chest Pain

Juniors
Don't forget our record at Telstra and the fact we have a whole bunch of young / inexperienced kids who have not yet formed their combinations etc. We have a good squad but it is a big match, with big match atmosphere. Tough Game.

Don't forget our record at Telstra and the fact we have a whole bunch of young / inexperienced kids who have not yet formed their combinations etc. We have a good squad but it is a big match, with big match atmosphere. Tough Game.

Good point chest pain, I've said it before, we never, ever win at Homebush!!

Actually I take that back
Here are our 5 games at Homebush

R18 Canterbury 6 (1-1-0) 14 (3-1-0) L 04-Jul-1999 Stadium_Australia T.Mander 20173
St_Geo-Illa 8 (1-2-0) 24 (4-4-0) L 19-Sep-1999 Stadium_Australia S.Clark 51827
R1 St_Geo-Illa 28 (5-4-0) 12 (2-2-0) W 05-Feb-2000 Stadium_Australia T.Mander 62255
R19 Canterbury 26 (5-3-0) 14 (2-3-0) W 12-Jun-2000 Stadium_Australia P.Simpkins 13269
Warriors 10 (2-1-0) 16 (3-2-0) L 29-Sep-2002 Stadium_Australia T.Mander 45702

Two wins, three losses.
Two important games...two BIG disappointments.

Chest Pain

Juniors
Interesting stats SS - look at the quality of referees. Do we know yet who will ref the tigers match ?

It's a shame about the refs. Bill Harrigan is the only bloke we could count on to give us a fair go.

I spoke to one of the refs last week and at the time he said they hadnt been appointed, I guess it will be next Tuesday or Wednesday?