What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitting a Plateau

Thomas

First Grade
So I've been working out hard for the last 2 or so months and have noticed a fair difference in my strength. Also my clothes are a lot baggier on me now and I've lost around 4or so kgs. I'm definitely getting bigger muscles and such but I really want to burn some fat.

I've kind of hit a plateau with my weight loss. I'm watching what I eat (I could be better) and go to the gym for 3 sessions a week plus running on two other days.

Anyone got any tips about ramping up my exercise? What should I be doing to burn some fat? Types of exercises is actually what I am after.

Halp?

aqua_duck

Coach
I had the same problem, was lifting fairly heavy weights then progress kind of stopped and it got abit boring. I switched my training around to overcome this. Started doing circuit training and took up martial arts (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and boxing). Even though I wasn't getting bigger but I was getting alot fitter and becoming more athletic.
If you want to lose weight, maybe cut down the gym sessions and take up mixed martial arts for 1 or 2 days a week. You'll get alot fitter, burn heaps of calories and learn to kick some arse

Thomas

First Grade
Hmm, that is an idea. I've also thought of doing a boot camp thingy once a week, just to get some change in my routine.

I'm really trying to ramp up my cardio. Not running longer, just getting the intensity up there. Not easy...

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
ive read thomas that sometimes the best way to get through a plateau is stop the gym for a little while, eat a bit of junk, confuse the body, then start again!

Sounds to good to be true to be honest, but there you go

The Colonel

Immortal
Jump on the elliptical trainer during your gym sessions as well as drop your weights you are lifting and increase the reps.

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, I don't lift heavy weights anyway. I do pyramid training which involves doing only a few reps with a heavy weight and then more reps with a lighter weight and so forth until you are doing plenty of reps with a pissy amount on the bar and struggling with fatigue.

Cycling? Should I try the feared and somewhat scary Cycle class at the gym?

The Colonel

Immortal
Cycling is scary, hardcore people in there...... The elliptical trainer worked well for me.....

bazza

Immortal
Cycling? Should I try the feared and somewhat scary Cycle class at the gym?

Is that 'spin'

You can do your own thing using HIIT.

Do a 5 minute warm up then increase the resistance and peddle hard for 30 seconds and bring it down for a minute.

Start with about 4 sprints and build it up - should be fun for a month.

The other good tip is to take a week off

Sir Biffo

Bench
Unless you're training >14 odd hrs a week, you're not doing enough that fatigue is going to be a problem stopping you losing weight (assuming you fuel your body correctly and recover well between sessions).

Higher intensity, using different muscle groups by doing different things are your best bet. Your body also gets to a point unfortunatley where you need to start really, really, really strictly controlling your diet to lose weight. I'm talking counting calories, not having a chocolate bar on Friday afternoon, smaller portions, feeling hungry between meals etc. Sorry, but that's just the way it is for some people.

Thomas

First Grade
Unless you're training >14 odd hrs a week, you're not doing enough that fatigue is going to be a problem stopping you losing weight (assuming you fuel your body correctly and recover well between sessions).

Higher intensity, using different muscle groups by doing different things are your best bet. Your body also gets to a point unfortunatley where you need to start really, really, really strictly controlling your diet to lose weight. I'm talking counting calories, not having a chocolate bar on Friday afternoon, smaller portions, feeling hungry between meals etc. Sorry, but that's just the way it is for some people.

Yeah, I'm calorie counting like a freak and it has helped.

I'm going to ramp up the cardio and lighten the weights I am using for 3 or so weeks and see what happens.

Red Bear

Referee
Is that 'spin'

You can do your own thing using HIIT.

Do a 5 minute warm up then increase the resistance and peddle hard for 30 seconds and bring it down for a minute.

Start with about 4 sprints and build it up - should be fun for a month.

The other good tip is to take a week off
Or you could, you know, go for an actual ride

Always laugh when you see people in the gym cycling like mad or pushing themselves with all the treadmill settings - It's a f**kload more enjoyable and helpul to get out in the open air and god for a decent ride/run with the natural hills etc.

Kelly

Juniors
So I've been working out hard for the last 2 or so months and have noticed a fair difference in my strength. Also my clothes are a lot baggier on me now and I've lost around 4or so kgs. I'm definitely getting bigger muscles and such but I really want to burn some fat.

I've kind of hit a plateau with my weight loss. I'm watching what I eat (I could be better) and go to the gym for 3 sessions a week plus running on two other days.

Anyone got any tips about ramping up my exercise? What should I be doing to burn some fat? Types of exercises is actually what I am after.

Halp?
You could cut you arm off... you'll lose a instant 10kg.

Nah you just need to do more cardio 60 to 90 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Change things up by doing some high intensity body weight exercises (Eg. Pullups, pushups, dips, squats, lunges) with little rest between each exercise. See how many of each you can do in say a 20min period.

Changing your routine is the best way to bust a plateau

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
ive read thomas that sometimes the best way to get through a plateau is stop the gym for a little while, eat a bit of junk, confuse the body, then start again!

it amazes me what some people believe to work. just because they read it, it must be true.
sad thing is they pass this nonsense off to others and the cycle continues.
no wonder theres so many that start the gym, then stop after a month. when theres people like this who believe something that they even say is too good to be true...yet they are so god damn naive, they believe something because they read it somewhere...give yourself a slap jesseel and plase ignore do not follow this nonsense theory.

now ill be to the point here...you are too blame for your plateau. i dont know you, but you going off what you have written, your diet is weak. i beat you think you are eating healthy, but a couple afew healthy meals does not make a healthy diet.
eating healthy is alot harder than the actual working out...especially if your life has revolved around convenience foods. and even harder when you are surrounded by it.

my way to beat your plateau is out of left field...but get rid of all the convenience food out of the cupboard and fridge. take a packed lunch and keep up with the training you are doing.

your diet is the key...get that right well before even worrying about the training side of things.

look in the mirror...stop looking for something else to blame

YOU ARE THE PLATEAU!!

Snoochies

First Grade
I've somehow hit a plateau right from the start. Have worked out for 6 weeks now and have restricted my diet heaps from what I was doing, I do 3 X half hour boxing sessions a week followed by 2 X 400M sprints, I do weights twice a week and also do a 3km road run twice a week. Have barely lost 2kg!!!! Started at 107kg, and hover around 105kg. My fitness levels have incrased alot but the pants are still tight and very frustrating to put this much effort for very little gain.

In the other thread I started about the mesomorph etc etc. I'm an endomorph/mesomorph. I can gain muscle very easy but very hard to lose fat, but I'm not in the kind of shape where my belly is overhanging my belt but have that chunky look all over.

Any tips on how to reduce the fat in a more effective way??

barney gumble

Juniors
Generally when a person hits a plateau it's simply the body being in a compfort zone and being too use to excercises being performed. At this point even lifting the intesity won't help too much.
There are a thousand variables but you constantly need to re-invent your training routine. When you hit a plateau try something different. Also examine your diet and rest patterns.

applesauce

Bench

Besides the junk food bit, that works if you are trying to put on muscle not lose weight.

If you have a 2 or 3 week break after hitting a plateau in weight training you don't lose much muscle but you lose strength/endurance but also gives you muscle time to repair and relax more.

When you go back to gym you won't weigh much less but you will be weaker giving you the effect of starting again and increasing results physically again.

Latest posts